> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,355
Threads: 64,157
Welcome to our newest member, H_marshall
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Kind of Fly Fisher's Survey

I used to frequent this site regularly under a different name. It's been a while and with all the craziness in the world, I lost contact with this site, the computer that I used, the email that I used, and log in info. I hope it's alright to be back under a new name and new email.

I'm looking for a bunch of fly fishers to answer a question for me. You can answer in this post thread or PM if you'd like. I do a little writing for publication and will use the responses anonymously for an article.

I often here fly fishers say: "Fly fishing is not just a hobby, it is a way of life."
If you have or do not have this sentiment, please explain as concisely as you can your feelings and ideas about this.

I appreciate your responses!
NativeCutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

There was my old pal nativecutt back on the old UTOF days. When I saw the username I was wondering if you were the ninja. What was your old username here on the site?

As for “way of life,” for me...no. I love it. It makes me happy. I do feel like it is a part of my life and a part of who I am. That said, for something to be “a way of life” it has to be something that is a part of my every day life. No matter how much I love to fly fish, it will never be something that is part of my life 365 days a year. Those are the things that are a “way of life,” in my opinion.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've been fly fishing for about five years now, so I'm still a newb. However, it'll never be a way of life. Sure, I love hitting the river as much as possible, but there are plenty of other pursuits in life I enjoy way too much to give up for fly fishing.
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

"Way of life"...what does that even mean? No, really, I am serious, what does that mean? Give us a little example of a "way of life"
Vanilla likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
There was my old pal nativecutt back on the old UTOF days. When I saw the username I was wondering if you were the ninja. What was your old username here on the site?

As for “way of life,” for me...no. I love it. It makes me happy. I do feel like it is a part of my life and a part of who I am. That said, for something to be “a way of life” it has to be something that is a part of my every day life. No matter how much I love to fly fish, it will never be something that is part of my life 365 days a year. Those are the things that are a “way of life,” in my opinion.
I think it's me. I was HighNDry on this site but I lost employment with Covid. Most of my log in and email stuff was under a work computer. I wasn't sure how to reset all of it so I just created the new me.

I'm hoping more fly fishers will not be afraid to chime in and give their opinion. I have heard a lot of fly fishers claim that fly fishing is their way of life. I'm not sure I know what that means, thus, the question.

I would also accept any thoughts or ideas of what makes fly fishing a "passion" for you. Meaning what is so intriguing about it? Is it the method? What makes it so fun? What is it that drives you to the river or lake?

Feel free to chime in everybody. Like I mentioned thoughts, ideas, comments will remain anonymous.
Thanks!
wyogoob likes this.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
"Way of life"...what does that even mean? No, really, I am serious, what does that mean? Give us a little example of a "way of life"
Thanks for responding. I'm not really sure what it means. I've heard several fly fishers say it.
I could see a guide saying it is a way of life because it is "his" way of making a living (life). But to the guy just wanting to get on the water and recreate, what drives the desire?

Maybe I can ask the questions I posed to Vanilla: What does fly fishing have that makes you passionate about it. Is it the method? What is so intriguing about it?
Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

The complex simplicity. Except for leaky waders and snags, there is no down side. it's fishin', and as they say ...time spent fishing isn't deducted from your life.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

In my case it was kind of a slow progression toward fly fishing. I started out with my older brother teaching me how to stream fish with a split shot and a worm on a spinning rod. To this day when I fish a nymph on a stream I fish it the same as I did with the worm. I fished lakes with a fly and bubble and also using lures, spinners, and flatfish. My brother-in-law is an avid fisherman, both for trout and warm water species and he got my son fly fishing so my wife bought me an all inclusive fly fishing kit for fathers day one year (she still says that was the biggest mistake she's ever made). It was a Diawa 9' 6 weight with a floating line. It was a real gem, about every fourth or fifth cast I'd have to check the top section of the rod to make sure it didn't fly off. I had to strip it back in quite a few times.

Once I got so I could catch some fish and kind of knew what I was doing then I figured I'd better learn how to tie my own flies or I was going to go broke. Believe me it is much cheaper to just buy the flies but when you make your own you can customize them for the water you fish. I've always said if you can show a fish something they haven't seen before they might just be curious enough to give it a try.
Now that I have gotten older I've moved on to float tubing lakes and reservoirs. The big challenge with still water fishing is you are not sure where to find the fish. In a stream it is pretty simple to know where to place your fly. I have been fly fishing for over thirty years now and have been keeping a detailed Xcel spreadsheet of my adventures since 1992. At my age I need some documentation to fall back on to know what to use on waters I haven't been to in a while.

I Fly fish because it is clean (no worm guts or bait canteen), you don't just reel them in and it is challenging.

I just wish that I had started sooner in life.
TOgden is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome back HighNdry.

I struggle to answer this question as some other have. Part of it could be definitions but not all. A few points.

1. I too have heard the "way of life" statement a few times. For some, the person(s) saying it were folks that fly fished several times a week, took multiple trips to famous glamour spots or for stuff like steelhead runs, had "gig" employment guiding but no long term career, and often didn't have families or had "domestic challenges". Others making the statement were professional folks that enjoy a day on the water 2-3 times a month, and will spend for good equipment and improve their skills, but not at the expense of family and career. Others are enthusiastic newcomers who will see their zeal fade as flyfishing doesn't become a new thing anymore. There are probably other categories too. Many folks probably have some resemblance to multiple categories.

2. How would someone like me fit in the question as I like to fish with multiple methods such as Ice fishing, warmwater finesse bassin with gear, barbaric methods such as "fly and bubble" and kick trolling buggers with spinning gear and using those abominable "Pistol Petes"? Does that disqualify me to answer even though I enjoy and regularly fish with classical fly gear?

3. As far as enhancing the resource with good conservation programs, and defending the pursuit in the legislative arena (stream access), I think it is a "way of life" to try and leave the resource in better shape for our descendants than we had it, if possible.

Hope this helps and makes some semblance of sense.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

In my younger years, (20+ years ago) I loved fly-fishing. My dad taught me fly tying and I had a kit at the age of 10, off to the races I went.

A "way of life"?..... You mentioned a guide. True they make money guiding and it can become a livelihood. Only if you own the company and hire the guides that make the customer happy. I was one of those "hired hands" and I enjoyed it for a short time. It became to me, babysitting adults that were rich and didn't care if they were casting, drifting, whatever correctly. Some it didn't matter if they caught a fish or not. Others, well, they were paying for a trip so they better hook a fish.

After a year of that, I gave up the part time guiding act. I returned to the river after some time from the trade and just couldn't get the passion back for fly-fishing. I walked out of the water, packed up my gear and have never returned to the river after that day. So when you say, "a way of life", I think I would interpret that as, "a passion for the game".

So much is involved with fly-fishing. Your actually hunting one fish in a group and casting to that fish by sight and knowing when to cast by seeing the action of that fish and understanding what it is doing, or better yet, knowing what it's about to do.

So for myself....Guiding took me to the dark side and stripped me of the passion I had. I'd go fishing to become one with nature, relax, and reboot my internal system. Whatever happened to me is very minute I'm sure, and isn't what others have experienced placed in the same situation.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in