»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,122
Threads: 63,724
Welcome to our newest member, Alice342

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Regarding wading boots.

While there is no question that I enjoy my time on the river, I am more of a "multi-modal, utilitarian" angler that fishes for multiple species in multiple ways. A fair bit of my time is spent in my float tube or ashore. It was therefore with considerable annoyance that I watched my 4-5 year old wading boots disintegrate around my feet the last year or so. All I will say is if those Caddis brand wading boots look like a decent buy, think again. Below are the pics. At least it looks like I got my moneys worth out of them. (not really)

Anyways, I just gave Simms some more money today and will be testing them out on the LoPro this afternoon. Am I Mr. Evil for going back to felt soles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3639.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	143895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	143897  
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Am I Mr. Evil for going back to felt soles?
I went away from felt soles simply because some areas have gone away from allowing felt, and I suspect other areas will follow over time. I didn't want to be forced to buy new boots before I was ready or for a specialty trip.

Felt is way better for wading than any of the rubbers out there, IMO. And yes, you are evil for wearing it!
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
While there is no question that I enjoy my time on the river, I am more of a "multi-modal, utilitarian" angler that fishes for multiple species in multiple ways. A fair bit of my time is spent in my float tube or ashore. It was therefore with considerable annoyance that I watched my 4-5 year old wading boots disintegrate around my feet the last year or so. All I will say is if those Caddis brand wading boots look like a decent buy, think again. Below are the pics. At least it looks like I got my moneys worth out of them. (not really)

Anyways, I just gave Simms some more money today and will be testing them out on the LoPro this afternoon. Am I Mr. Evil for going back to felt soles?
I'm using the Simms Guide Felt Sole Boots. Have used them for 5 years now, and you honestly can't tell they have been used aside from a little dirt on them, and the tip of one of the laces no longer enclosed in the plastic tip. I use them A LOT January-August(I get pretty consumed with hunting season from Sept-Nov.) I went from buying a pair of waders every year and boots every other, to not even worrying about either. Simms has a customer for life with me.

Knowing felt is thought to be more likely to transmit invasive species/disease, etc, I do make an extra effort to clean my boots(And Waders) when I move to a different stretch of river or waterbody. Probably not a bad habit for all of us to be in whether we use felt or rubber though.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
PBH

I spend too much time wading rivers, and their banks, that are muddy - so no felt for me. It must be nice to have some tail waters to fish...

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
Knowing felt is thought to be more likely to transmit invasive species/disease, etc, I do make an extra effort to clean my boots(And Waders) when I move to a different stretch of river or waterbody. Probably not a bad habit for all of us to be in whether we use felt or rubber though.
Definitely a good practice. Felt is a big factor in holding onto those parasites, but it is not the only thing on a wading boot (or waders, gear, etc) that holds on to those parasites.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welp, the LoPro was off color, fairly high and chock full of floating debris. I lasted an hour of biteless fishing and decided to head home and knock off a couple of honey-dos. I suppose it makes sense to empty Deer creek in the face of an extreme drought. But, the boots were fantastic!

I ended up buying the Simms Freestones. I think I will be happy with them. I've used Simms waders for years and even wear a Simms camo jacket, so I guess I match now.

Regarding the felt soles, in all honesty, if the local dealer wasn't out of stock of the rubber version of the Freestones, I would have likely gone that direction. However, I figured that life is unlikely to allow me to take any extended fishing trips up to Yellowstone or other glamour stops in the next couple of years, so I should be good to go putting these to use in the local streams I usually fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
This is a good reminder for all of us and something I will be conscious of wearing felt again.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in