> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,984
Threads: 63,530
Welcome to our newest member, RedArcher99
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fly Float Gratuity

Thinking about arranging a fly fishing float day. This will be a first for me. I assume it is appropriate, or even recommended, to tip the guide for his service and rowing. Wondering what would be an reasonable range on a $550 float trip?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
niknoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was once a guide in my younger days 25 years ago. Didn't row a float boat, but had many "babysitting" trips. Haven't picked up a flyrod in 15 years because of bad guiding experiences. Guiding robbed me of what once was a therapy activity for me.

An all day trip at the $550 price? I'd plan on a minimum of $150 gratuity. If the guide is awesome and you have a great time...….You cant place a price tag on that.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would say between 100-150 depending on the location and experience. You can of course go as high as you’d like, but I think that range is pretty normal.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wasn't a fly fishing guide but did commercially guide small trips in the past. 20% was standard then and appears consistent with current rates across the guiding industry, including floats. Tip less for an unmotivated guide with no focus on increasing your skill and tip more for a guide that is outstanding.

My family has never had much luck with fly fishing guides the few times we've tried but I've met some great ones. A good guide in any sport can be a huge catalyst for skill growth and a great memory.
taxidermist likes this.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Gratuity...what a weird concept. Who get's it, who deserves it, who first decided which services deserve it, should a certain level of service depend upon it, why tip a guide but not your dentist or the clerk at Smith's, is it charity or a thank you or a obligation, why don't providers refund 25% for a bad experience, why should I feel guilty it I don't tip a restaurant server and feel good about beating up a car salesman, how do you feel when that provider sits at your feet like a dog waiting for a cookie until you hand him money for something that's his job, should tips be based upon my income or the provider's ...so weird
Critter likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

On another forum that I am on there is a 40 page thread on who, how, and how much you should tip. It goes from everyone to no one.

I once read a article that mentioned that if the guide is the owner of the outfitting business that you are using then a tip isn't required since he is getting the payment of the trip. But if he is just a guide then a tip is not required but you can give one if you like.

Then there is always the question of how much. When and why did we raise the tipping amount from around 15% to 20-30% of the trips cost? Perhaps a better question would be who sets the tipping percentage? Is it the person getting the tip or the folks that are giving the tip? Or is it pulled out of a hat?

I hate it when you walk into a restaurant and there on the menu is a notice that parties above XX amount of people is automatically charged a XX% tip it is usually the last time that I'll go into that restaurant. I refuse to tip for bad service and will tip higher for great service.

For a 25% tip that person getting the tip had better do everything except cast and reel in the fish, he better know that river like the back of his hand blindfolded.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

10-20% of the cost of the trip seems to be touted as the "standard."

If you have the means, I have found it pays to be more generous than the "standard."
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
Gratuity...what a weird concept. Who get's it, who deserves it, who first decided which services deserve it, should a certain level of service depend upon it, why tip a guide but not your dentist or the clerk at Smith's, is it charity or a thank you or a obligation, why don't providers refund 25% for a bad experience, why should I feel guilty it I don't tip a restaurant server and feel good about beating up a car salesman, how do you feel when that provider sits at your feet like a dog waiting for a cookie until you hand him money for something that's his job, should tips be based upon my income or the provider's ...so weird
You must stay home a lot.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Look at how tips began...…...Back in the day, (don't know for sure how long ago) There was a bucket or a container at your table. You would place money (tip) in the container prior to ordering. As your visit at the restaurant continued, if the waitress was doing a good job you'd add money. If they were doing poorly would remove money. That way the waitress would know if they were "earning their money".

Guides are different though. If I have a lazy guide (hunting or fishing) and they aren't performing to what I was told when booking the trip, I'll let them know right away. With social media now days, an Outfitter can loose potential customers in a hurry.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking about taking back some of the tip on the table made me remember some things about way back when.

My dad worked construction and as we traveled from town to town for him to work we would of course eat in a sit down restaurant. Dad always left a tip, at that time it may of been a dime to a quarter usually never much more since meals were only a couple bucks for our family of 4.

One day when we stopped at a service station for gas I went in and got a couple of pops and some candy bars and we went on our merry way. A ways down the road my dad asked me where I had gotten the money for the pop and candy that my sister and I were enjoying. I calmly told him that he kept on leaving money on the table that we had ate at and I was picking it up.

Later that day we had a long talk about what I was doing, that is after my rear end started to feel better.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in