»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,350
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default VersaLeader vs Sink Tip Fly Line

Our itinerary for our RV tour is falling into place and it's looking like it could be helpful to have some type of sink tip setup for a few places, including the Snake below Jackson Lake. I might get a few hours on a stretch in western Yellowstone but I'm guessing that will be dry fly and from campsite reservations I'm guessing it might be combat fishing that I'll want to avoid (can't go far from road).

Do folks have thoughts on going with a full fledged sink tip line (INT to 3ips for my 7 weight) or a Rio Versaleader on a lighter rod with floating line? The 7 weight isn't ideal but it's become my go to for lake fishing with a 6-7ips full sinking line and I don't have extra spools for any of my other reels.

I'm only likely to get a half day or two using such a rig so I'm leaning towards the Versaleader but have no experience with either.

The rest of the trip will be along the Henry Fork region around the Warm River. New area for me and also never RV camped so that will be different.

Thanks for any advice provided as I'm still a newb with sinking lines after years of just using floating lines for nymphing.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy a whole new line for a half day of fishing. I assume you'll be fishing streamers if you're thinking about a sink-tip. You can definitely get away with the sinking leader. I'd go a little faster sink rate than what you'd do on a full sink-tip line. If you're planning on fishing dry flies or nymphs, skip the sink-tip all together. It never hurts to have a sinking leader in your kit though and they are cheap so why not.
slapwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thx for the info! Going a little heavier makes sense.

It's definitely for tossing streamers. For those couple days I'll also have a setup with floating line with standard leaders for nymphing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapwater View Post
I wouldn't buy a whole new line for a half day of fishing. I assume you'll be fishing streamers if you're thinking about a sink-tip. You can definitely get away with the sinking leader. I'd go a little faster sink rate than what you'd do on a full sink-tip line. If you're planning on fishing dry flies or nymphs, skip the sink-tip all together. It never hurts to have a sinking leader in your kit though and they are cheap so why not.
+1
johnrr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapwater View Post
I wouldn't buy a whole new line for a half day of fishing.
Me either.

I'd plan on a return trip!

A sinking tip is a good tool to have in the bag. Maybe now is the time to invest in another spool / line? You may find that this "half day of fishing" may turn into the first of many!

The 7 weight is a very good choice rod for those larger rivers.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

PBH,

I definitely hope to return to the area more. I need to look at my reels but I think most are discontinued. I learned last year that the next time I buy a reel I will buy 1-2 spare spools along with it for this very case.

Good to know on 7 weight. I'd gotten so use to light tackle locally that 7 just seems huge. It's worked out great for summer lake fishing with the full sink 6-8ips I bought last year. A little 10" brookie actually bent it a bit last week when I escaped for a few hours up to Yankee at dusk. Was shocked how small it was when I landed it.

The opportunity to fish this stretch just came up as we changed our itinerary for one day to break up the loop from Heise Bridge area through Teton and Yellowstone and west to our main camp near the Henry Fork outside Ashton. It's mostly a driving tour to get out of the house until we land at Warm River.

I ordered a WF7S3 line when I ordered the Versa leaders as I can do free returns. I hate not being able to shop at regional stores but as a high risk household we won't be entering any businesses. I'll make a final decision on what to use soon enough.

I can't wait to find a time in life to put our raft back together and toss streamers on a bigger river again. It's been too long since I've done a float trip like that and even then I was using loaner gear from friends and family with no clue what I was using. Didn't matter, we were catching fish.

Thx for the info folks. Curious to see what others say. It's all new to me.

Last edited by backcountry; 06-22-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
PBH

backcountry -- Just buy an inexpensive reel for the sink tip line.

That 7 weight is absolutely the right rod for those rivers. Keep in mind, it's not only a fish that you'll be fighting, but also the current -- and the fish know very well how to use the current! That larger rod will also help cast a sinking tip line, heavier flies, and combat any wind. At the end of the day, when tossing large streamers on a sinking tip line, your back will thank you for using a heavier rod.

Go pick up a $35 sinking tip line, and get a $35 fly reel to go with it. That's cheaper than a tank of gas -- and you'll get more miles out it too!

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Makes sense. You are within $5 of the Rio line I bought. I asked my breadwinner if we could justify a $99 line and the look she gave me was a clear enough answer 😬😁. Granted, that number made me cringe too as I know my skill level and expectations.

I'll find an existing reel to use for now. I already spent more on this trip refurbishing my neglected arsenal, including my first real pair of quality waders. I couldn't take cold feet any longer and I got tired of trying to fix crappy old waders/booties. We'll see if the price I paid is justified in the field.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

So, you don't need any of that. Just use the full sink. Done. I do that pretty regularly and I actually don't use my sink tips that much.

I find myself using intermediate sink pretty often on rivers. If you had to have a new line, I'd go intermediate sink because of how great they are in stillwater also. Dual purpose.

I really like my 7 and 8 wt on larger rivers. Gives you a little extra to handle wind and distance. Gives some backbone to handle the current and fish in the current.

My .02, which aint worth a nickel.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm still back and forth on what to keep but I'll figure it out.

First of deliveries for trip is arriving. It's like Christmas, only better as it's warm and I'm heading to fly fishing heaven.

PS....this is my first order from Big Y Fly Co and I'm initially very impressed, especially given affordability. Flies came properly packaged and inventoried in a clear way to verify. And they look tied about as well as I could hope with none of that residue or material covering the eyelet as I've often found in flies that cost less than a $1. I think I found a new shop to rely upon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_124225768_HDR_1592937922601.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	142255  

Last edited by backcountry; 06-23-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in