Members: 14,355
Threads: 64,157
Welcome to our newest member, H_marshall
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By taxidermist
  • 1 Post By Catherder
  • 1 Post By TOgden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Utah Lake Ice Fishing

I finally took my flock of kids down to Utah Lake for some ice fishing today. We just went to the state park and fished off the docks. My kids are all little and I didn’t feel like trying to wrangle them all over the lake.

This is only the third or fourth time I’ve ice fished that lake and those were several years ago. We tried wax worms and meal worms on ice flies, tube jigs, rat finkees, and Swedish pimples. Tried silver, white, pink, chartreuse, and red. We didn’t have so much as a bite in two hours on seven rods.

Fish Lake is the only place I have much experience ice fishing and I used the same techniques I use for perch there. Mostly jogging right off the bottom. Not sure if that is a bad tactic for white bass or if we just didn’t get into them today. I’ll try again another day but talking the kids into again after this trip might be tough for a while.

Still, always good to get out and kids have short memories. I just need to figure it out before I take them again.

Oh, and ice was a good 4-6 inches everywhere I drilled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D200D17A-43C4-4549-B95B-A363BA7EDBC1_1610584677771.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	145959  
twinkielk15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get some small 1/8, 1/16oz colored jig hooks and some small curly tail grubs. Tip the jig with some wax, meal worms or a piece of nightcrawler. That should get you a bass or two.
twinkielk15 likes this.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fishing has really slowed down in the inner harbor. There are still a few white bass and perch biting in the outer harbor.

The thing to remember about white bass is that they are a schooling fish. One day they will be in an area thick and the next day they will be gone. They also usually enter the harbors when they freeze but the main lake is open water and leave again when the entire lake caps.
twinkielk15 likes this.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the pointers. I figured they were probably like the perch at Fish Lake and you need to keep moving until you find them. Wasn't willing to do that with all the kids in tow.

Taxidermist, I went and picked up some jig heads and little grubs so I'll give that a shot next trip. Thanks.

Catherder, I was not aware of them moving in and out of the harbor depending on the ice like that. Makes me wonder if next time I should park and walk north onto the lake rather than into the marina. Thanks for the tips.
twinkielk15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fishing is awesome but catching tends to be more productive at the time of ice up and ice off. If you can fish within a two week window of both conditions, your catch success will be greater.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are two times a day when the fish bite.

Just before you get there and just after you leave.
twinkielk15 likes this.
TOgden is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in