»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,347
Threads: 64,136
Welcome to our newest member, tolove240

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mountain Bike Fishing

I'm planning several mountain bike excursions to fishing destinations this summer. I have wondered, however, about certain trail designations. Some have posted no motorized vehicles and others have no vehicles. Are any of you familiar if this is the same designation or two seperate designations. A mountain bike is considerd a vehicle so I'm stumped. Anyone have info about this or am I better off calling the Forest Service?
HighNDry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Mountain Bike Fishing

HighNDry,
I asked that question last year to a forest service employee. I do a bit of biking and fishing myself and was wondering the same thing. His reply was that unless the trail is specifically closed to mountain bikes, which would mean the sign would say basically "no mountain bikes", in addition to other vehicle restrictions (motorized or not) , then it was fine to ride on the trails with a mountain bike.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank You. I think that opens up a few options.

I like to use my bike as a fishing tool. Sometimes, I'll drive up to my take out point lock the bike to a tree (as out of view as possible) drive downstream and park, then I fish up to the bike and then ride down to the vehicle. Or do it in reverse too. Fun times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNDry
Thank You. I think that opens up a few options.

I like to use my bike as a fishing tool. Sometimes, I'll drive up to my take out point lock the bike to a tree (as out of view as possible) drive downstream and park, then I fish up to the bike and then ride down to the vehicle. Or do it in reverse too. Fun times.
That is a really good idea you can cover a lot more water that way, thanks for the tip!

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orvis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anytime!

Only drawback I have encountered is a few guys have jumped into the area I'm fishing and said they didn't see a car anywhere so didn't realize I was in there. Some leave others jump in and kind of put a damper on my solitary adventure.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
tcb

Used to do the same thing on float trips when I was alone. Put the bike in the raft or canoe, float down about twenty miles, bike up and get the car and then pick up the raft or canoe. I don't trust people enough anymore to leave equipment unattended, so I haven't done that for years.
tcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in