»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,683
Threads: 63,215
Welcome to our newest member, Matthewe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boat Newbie- Kicker Question

Ok. I've been able to learn a few things and am figuring stuff out. Been able to catch fish now pretty consistently.

I fired up the kicker. It didn't want to start, but I got it started and it really purrs like a kitty. However, I couldn't get it to go into forward. The throttle is pretty static, meaning the throttle handle goes forward but there's no additional rev or RPM. It went into reverse, but that doesn't help me trolling cranks and stuff. The outboard runs a little hot for cranks, I think.

I just don't want to burn battery all day running 1.6-2.0 mph if I can do it with the kicker.

Also, which electronics will link to drive and gps recording of trolling runs? I have iPilot and I think that would work pretty well, but I see some that track boat and record. Mine doesn't.

Happy to take someone out to fish for walleye/pike/bass if you want to learn a new place if you can teach a moron how to work his boat......
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Having a little trouble understanding what is going on but outboards will only shift into gear with the throttle in a certain position, usually a very slow speed. There is limited travel of the throttle until the motor is in gear and it won't go in gear unless the throttle is in just the right position. Look the tiller handle over closely and see if there isn't a mark that says "shift". Once in gear the motor will rev.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sagebrush

if you go hummingbird route it depends on the model you have I have the terrova and solix which does what you want to do. I could run 6 hours easy using 100ah battery on the trolling motor, mine is a 24v system and I put the fish finder on separate battery also. I also use lithium now which I don't have to watch the battery level as much so I wouldn't run the agm's down to far.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
Having a little trouble understanding what is going on but outboards will only shift into gear with the throttle in a certain position, usually a very slow speed. There is limited travel of the throttle until the motor is in gear and it won't go in gear unless the throttle is in just the right position. Look the tiller handle over closely and see if there isn't a mark that says "shift". Once in gear the motor will rev.

Ok. Sorry was late. Will post pics also. There are two throttles on the boat, all at the wheel as if I were driving. One controls the main outboard and the other controls the kicker. There are two ignitions. The kicker starts fine. The throttle moves forward and backward, but there is no additional RPM when I have it in neutral and rev (like I would on the outboard). The kicker went into gear in reverse, but won't go forward. I dont' know if the throttle handle is goofy (like a linkage issue), if the motor is goofy, transmission is having trouble, or something dumb like I'm an idiot.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush View Post
if you go hummingbird route it depends on the model you have I have the terrova and solix which does what you want to do. I could run 6 hours easy using 100ah battery on the trolling motor, mine is a 24v system and I put the fish finder on separate battery also. I also use lithium now which I don't have to watch the battery level as much so I wouldn't run the agm's down to far.
I have a Terrova and 2 Helix 5's. There was a Helix 7, but he took it off when I bought it.

I think I have 4 batteries and have fished all day several days, but it 's usually slower (like 1- 1.1). However, with the kicker, I have no idea how fast I'm going with the outboard or kicker. I guess I could record on my watch and make it think I'm running!

To be clear, I'm only scratching the surface on what my electronics and trolling motor can do. I recorded a couple of trolling runs on the Terrova, we'll see how that goes.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
PBH

Caddis -- my Lowrance Elite 5 has gps built in. It will display my speed for me no matter which motor I use -- I never use the boat's speedometer. I'm pretty sure the newer Lowrance units will interface with your iPilot, which would then give you the ability to follow previous tracks or a certain depth, or anchor lock, or whatever else the fancy iPilots will do.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like the shifting mechanism on the kicker might be bad. Where do you shift the gears...at the motor or at the controls in the front(by the wheel)? If at the controls, is there a indicator plate that tells you what gear...F-N-R... you are in...the control lever would line up with this indicator indicating what gear the motor is supposed to be in.
One easy test would be to unhook the controls at the motor(kicker) and see if you can put it in the desired gear with the shifting lever on the motor. This would tell you if it is the motor or the controls.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in