> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,683
Threads: 63,215
Welcome to our newest member, Matthewe
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boat question

Hey all,

Looking at boats just for fun (that’s what I tell the wife). Seriously though, don’t know much about boats but would love to get one for fishing and duck hunting (Fishing would be trolling on lakes etc) 3-4 people. Few questions since it will be my first and have not been on many.

1. Should I get 2 boats over time to get a fishing setup and a hunting setup or will an Allrounder be good?

2. Based on # 1 what boat/ motor would you recommend?

3. Would you recommend a old/cheap one and remodel or is it to much of a headache?

Thanks everyone!
prumpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

One works for me. I just swap out the longtail mud motor for the Honda outboard.
Buy as much boat as you want or need.
I don't like project boats, so personally I would get a good used one, or new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	142309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	142311  
Old 06-28-2020, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ray

How much are you wanting to spend?
Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Folwmoth, looks like a nice one.

Not sure yet how much, depends on what I need to spent to get something decent without having to repair all the time etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Trolling big water or small water?

There is a difference.
hunting777 likes this.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I might have a different opinion than others on here. But I would recommend getting two different boats. I really have never been to much on a duck boat. I am not sure how those would take on the bigger waves. We was on the Gorge last week and some of those bigger boats would pass by and we took on a lot of water over the front end of the boat hitting them at a 45 deg angle even. You could get on to KSL and find a great older tri-hull or something for a couple grand. Set that up and use it year round for fishing. Then get you your flat bottom for hunting. But I guess it all depends on where and what you want to fish for and how much you are looking to spend. We was once on Bear Lake and had to rescue 3 guys in a flat bottom. The waves came quick like they do on that lake. they took on way to much water. They flagged us down. They got into our boat. We towed their boat to shore as fast as we dare. one guy jumped out with a long extension rope and pulled it to shore as we rushed to the marina with the others. Crazy experience.

Last edited by hunting777; 06-29-2020 at 10:18 AM.
hunting777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looking at Bear lake sized waters.

@777 that’s exactly why I am asking this question! If I spent my free time fishing I want to have the right equipment and a good experience, not a disaster weekend.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prumpf View Post
Looking at Bear lake sized waters.

@777 that’s exactly why I am asking this question! If I spent my free time fishing I want to have the right equipment and a good experience, not a disaster weekend.
Here's the thing about duck boats - they are an accident waiting to happen on big waters like Bear Lake, The Gorge, Strawberry, Lake Powell, etc. I've had ducks boats of many different shapes and sizes. They are NOT meant to be used on big waters. Period!

The boats that ARE built for big water fishing will NOT be usable in Utah duck marshes. Period!

If you value your life at all, you will want to get 2 boats. My recommendation is to not put your life in danger by foolishly using a duck boat on Utah's big waters I just mentioned plus a couple others. Yes, I've seen them on the Gorge and at Strawberry. And those people doing that are idiots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ? Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Iv had my 18’ Excel duck boat on Utah lake under conditions where most people would capsize, I never feared for my life but, I went straight to the boat ramp.

Iv actively trolled for Kokanee on Strawberry on more that one occasion where is was windy enough that most the boats out there were headed back to the ramp, while I finished out my Koke limit.

I have never feared for my life on big water with my 18’ Excel duck boat. Nor have I ever had any close calls. I know my boat and it’s abilities. It all about knowing your limits.

Now, In those instances I wouldn’t want to be in a rivited jon boat but, my Fully welded 18’ duck boat is just fine running big open water! But, you’ll be in a boat like that for $21k.. better take that up with your wife!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54C4C3E3-92A2-4BE2-AAA9-9CE4DEF7638D_1593482971094.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	142343  

Last edited by goosefreak; 06-29-2020 at 08:09 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm with dubob on the two boat thing!! Before selling all my "FUN STUFF" I had a 16' duck boat set up and a 22' Trophy for fishing places like the Gorge, Strawberry. etc. I've seen small boats 16-18' get pounded and almost swamp on Flaming Gorge.

If your taking family fishing and safety is first - don't buy a boat smaller than a 20' deep V.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in