> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,671
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, garden1h
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
A great song was written from the Edmund Fitzgerald incident. The one noted mistake from that wreck was greed. Loaded the ship with more iron ore than the vessel could handle. Of course the rough weather and seas just magnified the poor decision of loading a heavy ship to make a few thousand more $$
That has never been proved or officially sanctioned by the either the US Coast Guard or the NTSB. There were 6 official hypothesis on possible causes and none of them suggested that it was, in fact, overloaded. there was a minor suggestion that it MAY have been overloaded, but never substantiated. To this day, the real cause has never been determined for sure. Hurricane winds, 35 foot seas, and damaged or unfastened hatch clamps in combination seem most likely. And none of this has anything to do with prumpf questions about boat choice for "Bear lake size waters."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ? Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefreak View Post
Iv actively trolled for Kokanee on Strawberry on more that one occasion where is was windy enough that most the boats out there were headed back to the ramp, while I finished out my Koke limit.

I have never feared for my life on big water with my 18’ Excel duck boat. Nor have I ever had any close calls. I know my boat and it’s abilities. It all about knowing your limits.
I used to feel that way, until one day at strawberry a huge wave broke over the stern of my 17ft ski boat. I would have never thought that would even be possibly at strawberry. We were just trolling around when a fast moving storm blew through.

My wife was hooked up with a MONSTER slot busting cut. We were going with the waves in the trough when I grabbed the net to try and get the fish. Wind or water... something pushed us a bit sideways then BAM, breaker right over the back right over me. ALOT of water in the boat in a flash. It was extremely scary. We were close to shore so not alot of room to maneuver and power out of it.

It happens...

-DallanC
Yup, it does happen. I was on Strawberry last year when a micro burst came through. It went from glass to 4’ swells almost instantly (like Utah Lake) I headed back to the ramp, took on a little water but my Bilge pump blows out water faster then it comes in, and it was all from spray. I was actually grateful for a moment like that, it gave me an opportunity to see the handling abilities of my boat under worst case scenarios.

Iv been on 2 lakes on 4 occasions where it went from glass to 4’+ swells, I never had waves break over into my boat. It took a while to get back to the ramp because with a boat like mine, even the TANK that it is, you got to navigate very delicately.

I’m not suggesting continue fishing in those conditions but, I know my rig will get me back to land safe. Those 4 crazy experiences were excellent education opportunities. A lot of slow going and a lot of turning into big breaks to keep from flipping or turning over. It absolutely can be done but it requires a lot of paying attention and looking ahead of time. Never was I scared.

But it’s like anything, you drive down the freeway too fast and eventually you’re going to get a speeding ticket , or crash.

And I’m not saying that my boat won’t ever capsize or take on water, I’m just giving my experience which has been on Strawberry and Utah Lake under some of the worst conditions they have to offer and I made it back to shore just fine.

I test all my gear before I go duck hunting or fishing so that I know I’m leaving my house with gear in operating order. And when I’m engaged in an activity of any kind I always have an emergency exit plan for those worst case scenarios.

And I’m so D A M N stubborn, it’s going to take a lot more than capsized boat to kill me !!

Last edited by goosefreak; 06-30-2020 at 09:37 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
My wife gave me a T-shirt years ago. On the front it read "a boat is a hole in the water in which you pour your money".

She was right. Enjoy!
So very true!!! It's one thing after another with them.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

And none of this has anything to do with prumpf questions about boat choice for "Bear lake size waters."

Well, lets load up the swamp can and get after it then.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in