> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,527
Threads: 63,083
Welcome to our newest member, Fernando
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

I would echo what DallanC said however I wouldn’t say a fish finder is a necessity..

WAIT, hear me out!!

I currently don’t have a fish finder but, I plan on getting one. Iv got it all picked out. You will be able to locate fish faster with one though.
I have 2 down riggers and I Fish 2 rods off of one down riggers so, when I’m with a buddy, we fish 4 different depths and when one rod become more consistent we the crank up the other rods to the same depth.

We slay Kokanee, yes a fish finder would allow us to get on fish quicker. I wouldn’t let not having one keep you from fishing.

I fish with 7’ ultralight action rods, and I loosen up my drag enough (based on the fishes attitude) so the fish can dive with it. Don’t crank them in like a rainbow or you’ll loose a bunch.

Speed is critical, a good baseline is 1.3-1.5

I never exceed 1.8 and that’s in July.

Short leaders from dodger to squid.

Pinks, Chartreuse, orange, purples, are good colors in both squid and Dodgers

Last edited by goosefreak; 05-22-2020 at 09:45 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefreak View Post
I would echo what DallanC said however I wouldnít say a fish finder is a necessity..

WAIT, hear me out!!

I currently donít have a fish finder but, I plan on getting one. Iv got it all picked out. You will be able to locate fish faster with one though.
I have 2 down riggers and I Fish 2 rods off of one down riggers so, when Iím with a buddy, we fish 4 different depths and when one rod become more consistent we the crank up the other rods to the same depth.

We slay Kokanee, yes a fish finder would allow us to get on fish quicker. I wouldnít let not having one keep you from fishing.

I fish with 7í ultralight action rods, and I loosen up my drag enough (based on the fishes attitude) so the fish can dive with it. Donít crank them in like a rainbow or youíll loose a bunch.

Speed is critical, a good baseline is 1.3-1.5

I never exceed 1.8 and thatís in July.

Thanks. Only issue with fish finder and downriggers (has to look that up) is I have no boat. If I go anytime soon it will be with someone. I should have clarified in my original post that I was looking for basic tackle, rod etc. to get me started. Hoping a kayak is in the near future. Wifeís vehicle got totaled so some plans have changed recently. But hopefully soon. Sportsmanís has a nice pedal kayak for a decent price just not sure how great of a kayak it really is. It seems short to me at 10í but I donít really know much about kayaks anyways. Would live to get a Hobie but they are so expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
Thanks. Only issue with fish finder and downriggers (has to look that up) is I have no boat. If I go anytime soon it will be with someone. I should have clarified in my original post that I was looking for basic tackle, rod etc. to get me started. Hoping a kayak is in the near future. Wifeís vehicle got totaled so some plans have changed recently. But hopefully soon. Sportsmanís has a nice pedal kayak for a decent price just not sure how great of a kayak it really is. It seems short to me at 10í but I donít really know much about kayaks anyways. Would live to get a Hobie but they are so expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Kayak is an excellent way to fish for Kokanee. Its on a level of its own but, very effective. You can attach a mini downrigger onto them too
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Rough morning but, we found some.. little small but, they’ll smoke!
What boat you running?
Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Quote:
What boat you running?
My Excel...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8D0C88E-581F-463A-BAD3-1FABA43C3EE0_1590216745446.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	141669  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What boat you running?
My Excel...
That’s what I figured. How do you like the mud buddy?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Ray

Also, did you get the Williamson Ocean trailer?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I would echo what DallanC said however I wouldnít say a fish finder is a necessity..

WAIT, hear me out!!

I currently donít have a fish finder but, I plan on getting one. Iv got it all picked out. You will be able to locate fish faster with one though.
I have 2 down riggers and I Fish 2 rods off of one down riggers so, when Iím with a buddy, we fish 4 different depths and when one rod become more consistent we the crank up the other rods to the same depth.

We slay Kokanee, yes a fish finder would allow us to get on fish quicker. I wouldnít let not having one keep you from fishing.
We fish the entire water column when we troll, but my fish finder is 3D (really old school wireframe view)... but it tells me if the school is on the left or right side of the boat, and if i watch it on my turns I can tell where the school is moving too... which allows us to follow them.

Quote:
Nope... longer leaders. I want just a little movement from the dodger on the lure, rather than the lure getting yanked back and forth.

I've posted my go-pro footage before from some of my kokanee fishing trips. I've watched hundreds of presentations to kokes, too much motion turns off most of them, except for the most aggressive. They'll come flying into the set for a looksee then blow out of there. Over time, I've found a nice sweet spot of leader length for our dodger size from WATCHING THE FISH REACT, and its longer leaders / less motion.

Quote:
No greens? Watermelon has produced more kokanee for us than any other color.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Quote:
I would echo what DallanC said however I wouldn’t say a fish finder is a necessity..

WAIT, hear me out!!

I currently don’t have a fish finder but, I plan on getting one. Iv got it all picked out. You will be able to locate fish faster with one though.
I have 2 down riggers and I Fish 2 rods off of one down riggers so, when I’m with a buddy, we fish 4 different depths and when one rod become more consistent we the crank up the other rods to the same depth.

We slay Kokanee, yes a fish finder would allow us to get on fish quicker. I wouldn’t let not having one keep you from fishing.
We fish the entire water column when we troll, but my fish finder is 3D (really old school wireframe view)... but it tells me if the school is on the left or right side of the boat, and if i watch it on my turns I can tell where the school is moving too... which allows us to follow them.

Quote:
Nope... longer leaders. I want just a little movement from the dodger on the lure, rather than the lure getting yanked back and forth.

I've posted my go-pro footage before from some of my kokanee fishing trips. I've watched hundreds of presentations to kokes, too much motion turns off most of them, except for the most aggressive. They'll come flying into the set for a looksee then blow out of there. Over time, I've found a nice sweet spot of leader length for our dodger size from WATCHING THE FISH REACT, and its longer leaders / less motion.

Quote:
No greens? Watermelon has produced more kokanee for us than any other color.

-DallanC
Hey man, just saying what works for me!!
Chartreuse Is basically green!! I do run green and silver dodgers as one of my primary rigs.

My leaders are anywhere from 10-13”
Most the time what I do catches my limit. I’m getting the results I need. A fish finder would be a useful tool to add onto my boat.
I’m looking at the Humminbird helix 5
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, did you get the Williamson Ocean trailer?
Iv got the 4400 Black Death and it RIPS. Love it! 18x51 Excel. I do 30mph by myself with a small hunting load. I do 27mph ish with another guy and A big hunting load. Iv had 2 other guys in it with 3 layout blinds and 13 dozen goose decoys between floaters, fullbodys and shells and I was still doing 25mph.

And yes, I have that same trailer.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in