> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,433
Threads: 64,256
Welcome to our newest member, Neboismyhome
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best pig hunts near Utah?

Hi everyone,

Me and some buddies are looking at doing a pig hunt this year. I've seen tons of places in Texas but I'm hoping to find somewhere within decent driving distance (less than 12hrs or so). Found Dunton Ranch in Kingman, AZ. Anyone have experience with them or have any recommendations for some other outfits/ranches? Thanks in advance for the replies!
swoleymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Texas
Buckfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oklahoma

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

You’re gonna wanna go to Texas. If you want to have a fun, great hunt, Texas is the place. If you need a recommendation on a ranch to go, send me a PM. I’ve been to several over the years
MooseMeat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

There used to be quite a few Russian Boar's roaming around in the Virgin River gorge south of St George... I knew a few people who lived down there and would go out hunting them.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can get into some in Cali I think. Lol. Oh who am I kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

California does have some good pig hunting, but you have to go there and deal with them.

On the ones down on the Virgin River, check with the BLM for down there. They keep track of them but it is mostly just a hunt to go on to say that you have been down there hunting them
Brettski7 likes this.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Moose, a point of clarification if you will...please explain how the Texas hunting license law is actually applied when hunting on a private ranch with permission from the owner. Do you need a license? Do you need to contact the Fish and Game people? Are these ranches you speak of all "pay-to-hunt" operations or are there ranches that will let you hunt to help control the beasts? What might a guy expect to pay to hunt on a ranch? Thanks
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I was looking into it, it seemed like the cost wasn't unreasonable. You have to watch out for the processing fees most outfits charge.

They'll charge you a per pound fee to have some yocal cut your pig up. Those can be quite steep.

Maybe some allow a DIY option?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
Moose, a point of clarification if you will...please explain how the Texas hunting license law is actually applied when hunting on a private ranch with permission from the owner. Do you need a license? Do you need to contact the Fish and Game people? Are these ranches you speak of all "pay-to-hunt" operations or are there ranches that will let you hunt to help control the beasts? What might a guy expect to pay to hunt on a ranch? Thanks
Iím not 100% positive on the laws regarding hunting in Texas and licenses required to do so. Most my Texas hog hunts were done while hunting whitetails, where we had already purchased our licenses and tags, and we killed pigs when the opportunity presented itself. It was a low fence ranch. Some years pigs were thick and our group would stack them up. Other years the group might only kill 1 or 2.. The other ranch we did specifically hunt for pigs a few years was a high fence deal and they needed our hunting license number to write down for their records. I would assume the state requires you to buy a hunting license if you are hunting. We already had our licenses and tags for deer and turkeys to begin with, so Iím not sure whatís required for just pigs.

I think youíd have a hard time finding a rancher that doesnít want some kind of trespass fee to hunt pigs, if you donít know them personally. Most of these fees pay for lodging, meals, driving you around to the hunt areas, corn for the feeders, etc... the one ranch didnít charge us anything to shoot pigs, but we had already paid for the whitetail hunts, and just shot pigs when we saw them. If we wanted the meat, we had to process them. Most those guys donít want anything to do with them. They donít like them all the way around. If we didnít want them, they gave them away to some families in the area that needed them. The other ranch we specifically hunted for pigs, there was a fee. But it was very reasonable. I think it was $250, for a 2 day hunt, and you could shoot 2 pigs. Any pigs after that was $100/pig. that included lodging and dinner each night. You could pay to have them process your pigs, but weíd always cut up our own to save a little money. You could also do a package type hunt if you you wanted to shoot a sheep, goat, blackbuck, etc... and they would include a hog in that as well. It would cost more money obviously, but their prices still werenít outrageous, until you started looking at shooting a bison or oryx. Then they started to really climb. The high fence might turn people off just cuz itís high fence, but those animals were tuned up like youíd never see on a low fence place and they were actually harder to kill, with a bow. A rifle would be a different story, but still challenging. Youíd never see the fence after you drove through the gate.
johnnycake likes this.
MooseMeat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in