> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,355
Threads: 64,156
Welcome to our newest member, H_marshall
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Hunting, new to forum

Hello all! Name is Matt and I'm 33. Marine veteran. Married. Only a fur baby.

I know it is late where you are at, but it's only midnight here in SoCal and I'm on the night shift right now. I will hopefully be relocating to Utah next month or beginning of January as long as I get the job I interviewed for.

We decided to take a very significant pay cut to be able to have some more work-life balance (I currently work as a 911 dispatcher for my County Fire Department). It will also allow me to have a 9-5 and finish my Bachelor's Degree.

Well, with that being said. About 3 years ago I got interested in hunting. Then about 2 years ago I ran across Meat Eater on Netflix. I was sold. With the demanding job and crazy overtime and fires we have here at work, I just never really got out to hunt (even small game). I'm not very close to the wilderness (about 2+ hours) or a reasonable place to hunt.

In that time though I have acquired just about every piece of gear I will need (and probably some I won't need). I pretty much have (or will have) all the basic clothing I will need for hunting in the West (All this sans the outer shell initially atleast). I only know what I have read in Steve's books, watched online, and read online. Don't really know anyone that hunts seriously, so no mentor.

We will be moving to the SLC area likely. I would love to find a club to join or just someone who is willing to teach someone eager to learn. I want to do it all and have all the firearms needed to go for a squirrel to moose and upland birds. So if anyone wants to school me if it works out, let me know!

I also want to know what tags to start going for now (I know some will take decades). I also have questions about the licenses. It seems a lot more complicated than here in California. I also qualify for disabled veterans benefits as it relates to tags/licenses.

IF you got this far, thank you!
Bax* likes this.

Last edited by USMCmatt; 11-24-2020 at 02:18 AM.
USMCmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. When you finally arrive in Utah and get settled in, let us know and I'm sure you'll get the help you seek. I'm an Old Man and wouldn't be able to help ya much.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Please leave your California bullshiz in California if you do come here. We don’t need anymore than what we currently have

Just last week a California transplant called the cops on a kid riding a dirtbike down the road with a .22 on his back in our neighborhood. “That’s not how things work back home!” That infuriated the majority of the community
Jedidiah likes this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Simply put, MooseMeat is not representative of most Utahns or the hunting community in general here in Utah. What Taxidermist had to say is much closer to what you can expect after your move here. Welcome.
wyogoob, Critter and twinkielk15 like this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
Please leave your California bullshiz in California if you do come here. We don’t need anymore than what we currently have

Just last week a California transplant called the cops on a kid riding a dirtbike down the road with a .22 on his back in our neighborhood. “That’s not how things work back home!” That infuriated the majority of the community
I'm not moving to Utah for the weather that is for sure...
Bax* likes this.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
I'm not moving to Utah for the weather that is for sure...

What...?? Weather is great here. One of reasons we moved here actually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
What...?? Weather is great here. One of reasons we moved here actually lol.

I'm comparing it to the unicorn that is Southern California as far as weather goes. It's just a saying as you know haha. Wife and I actually WANT 4 seasons.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
I'm comparing it to the unicorn that is Southern California as far as weather goes. It's just a saying as you know haha. Wife and I actually WANT 4 seasons.

Oh I know. Just messing around. The seasons are great here. And the hunting so far has been both painful and great.

Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
Oh I know. Just messing around. The seasons are great here. And the hunting so far has been both painful and great.

Figured as much! I'm sure it's still better than CA.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to the Forum. I also moved up here from SoCal back in 1980 and have ever since been thankful for that decision. My parents are both Utah natives and I came for work also. Lots of hunting and fishing available. I want to also thank you for your service not only as a Marine but also a Dispatcher. Good luck on your application for a new job up here. I no longer hunt the big stuff and don't walk much for ducks, geese or the pheasants, so I'm not knowledgeable on what's good or bad in those areas.
wyogoob likes this.
Al Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in