> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,660
Threads: 63,198
Welcome to our newest member, Ace864
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
I understand your line of thinking but it’s public land and no one owns a spot.
I get both sides of the argument, nor am i trying to make one. I'm Just explaining some of what you might be encountering. People can own a spot, and not own it at the same time. Usually, common courtesy is to not camp right next to someone, or not walk through someones camp. That's been the accepted practice. Not to mention people are picking spots that can hold their entire family - which tend to be large. It's not uncommon to see the same trailer camps out their for the entire duration of the season. Most everyone set their camps, leave for the week, then come back every weekend until the season ends.

Personally, on my own family camps, Im starting to tent more, and bring the trailer out less. I find the whole thing a PITA. With a tent, your more flexible on where you can camp, and trailers are the same amount of work taking them out regardless if it's 2 days or 2 weeks. On my own, I plan on backpacking in and "sleeping with the elk" so to speak, and get away from the road entirely.

Quote:
I was setup hunting working a Tom for an hour when another hunter deliberately walked thru my setup towards the Tom I was working. He saw me as I made myself known.
Yeah that's downright rude. There's no excuse for that if it was deliberate.

Quote:
I agree on the rest. I was looking to move here 5-6 years ago and home prices were way lower. They were actually reasonable. Now a lot of them are ridiculously priced. And land is a joke in town. We are renting for a while just to save up money and have a reasonable note.
Unless the pandemic has had an effect, Unfortuantely it's only going to get worse. I wonder if the end result of this pandemic is going to see more people moving here, or less. Did all the moving in stop, or are people going to flee the lockdown states for places like Utah? Who knows. Personally, it's already too crowded for me. If there were no ties that bind, I'd have packed up and left already.

Quote:
It’s all worth it though as we love it here. We are really enjoying what this region of the country has to offer our family.
Utah has been great. The only thing that can get me out of Utah, is Alaska. Glad your enjoying yourself here. Again, not my intent to crap on your parade. I've been to Lousiana a few times when I was stationed in Mississippi a couple years. Two things I miss from the south: Poeboys and real cajun crawfish. You just can't get the real deal anywhere else. I've looked, and NOBODY outside of that area can do it right.

Funny, I was talking to another Turkey hunter on mothers day weekend who was also originally from Louisiana, said he's been living here for 20 years now. Something here must be sparking an interest in y'all.

Last edited by Lone_Hunter; 05-26-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Lone_Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default New to Forum, Utah, and Western Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post
I get both sides of the argument, nor am i trying to make one. I'm Just explaining some of what you might be encountering. People can own a spot, and not own it at the same time. Usually, common courtesy is to not camp right next to someone, or not walk through someones camp. That's been the accepted practice. Not to mention people are picking spots that can hold their entire family - which tend to be large. It's not uncommon to see the same trailer camps out their for the entire duration of the season. Most everyone set their camps, leave for the week, then come back every weekend until the season ends.

Personally, on my own family camps, Im starting to tent more, and bring the trailer out less. I find the whole thing a PITA. With a tent, your more flexible on where you can camp, and trailers are the same amount of work taking them out regardless if it's 2 days or 2 weeks. On my own, I plan on backpacking in and "sleeping with the elk" so to speak, and get away from the road entirely.

Unless the pandemic has had an effect, Unfortuantely it's only going to get worse. I wonder if the end result of this pandemic is going to see more people moving here, or less. Did all the moving in stop, or are people going to flee the lockdown states for places like Utah? Who knows. Personally, it's already too crowded for me. If there were no ties that bind, I'd have packed up and left already.

Utah has been great. The only thing that can get me out of Utah, is Alaska. Glad your enjoying yourself here. Again, not my intent to crap on your parade. I've been to Lousiana a few times when I was stationed in Mississippi a couple years. Two things I miss from the south: Poeboys and real cajun crawfish. You just can't get the real deal anywhere else. I've looked, and NOBODY outside of that area can do it right.

Funny, I was talking to another Turkey hunter on mothers day weekend who was also originally from Louisiana, said he's been living here for 20 years now. Something here must be sparking an interest in y'all.

Lol. You can actually stay outside longer than 5 mins here. People think it’s hot here. You didn’t happen to run into him out at Middle Fork did you? I know someone on here actually from LA.

The food is the only thing we miss other than family from LA. I may have to order some crawfish from LA next season and do a UWN crawfish boil lol. Leftovers go towards frying up for po’boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Brettski7; 05-26-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Brettski7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post

Also if you want some quick poboys then if you fish and catch any brim, crappie or something like that (not sure if they have catfish here but would be ideal) then cut them up in little filets or nuggets and fry them up for a fish poboy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
Also if you want some quick poboys then if you fish and catch any brim, crappie or something like that (not sure if they have catfish here but would be ideal) then cut them up in little filets or nuggets and fry them up for a fish poboy.

Lots of channel cats in Utah Lake, also Echo and the Bear River. White bass would make some killer Poboys too....

Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

I think it's almost time to start doing crawfish boils again. We catch them mostly from Stawberry (haven't found any other sweet spots yet). Good eats
CrayDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayDad View Post
I think it's almost time to start doing crawfish boils again. We catch them mostly from Stawberry (haven't found any other sweet spots yet). Good eats

Is live to see how Utahns do crawfish boils.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Gotta wait til the beginning of July at least so they have all hatched their eggs and molted their shells.
Jedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in