> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,527
Threads: 63,084
Welcome to our newest member, Fernando
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9465 View Post
Also from Louisiana. I'm a late onset adult hunter and have only done one elk hunt (with a buddy from LA). Good luck in learning western hunting. I'm still trying to figure it out, but I love it.

I have met a few people on other forums from here that I will be doing some hunting with come elk season. Figured I can learn some things from them and in return help pack in/out things or anyway I can. What part of LA were/are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Welcome to the Forum!
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope to possibly meet some of you in person also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to UTAH and to the forum.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum and the state. It can be pretty hit or miss on how you are treated when you run into other hunters here in Utah buy we aren't all bad apples.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
twall13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hello and welcome
ronald7qb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the Forum and good luck!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski7 View Post
Found out people on public land around here are not as courteous as back home though.
I'm not making any excuses for anyone, and this is just a guess, but if folks were rude, you may have stepped into some place, or a camp, some family has traditionally used for years.

I'm not originally from Utah, but my wife is, and part of my extended family here has a long hunting tradition. They've camped in the same spot for probably decades; and they've been working the same area come elk season for about as long. The quickest way to chap their hide, is someone taking the camp they've traditionally used, or someone walking directly under or near one of their many tree stands. They may not be outright mean about it, but whomever took their camp, or strolled through their hunting areas won't have much in the way brownie points with them.

Right now, (and this is just my opinion) tradition, is clashing with a lot of people moving into Utah, and the changes a higher population of people brings. It seem's we are seeing people move in mainly from California, Washington, and Oregon. I suspect they've been attracted here because of Silicon slopes. Were it not for silicon slopes, we probably wouldn't have this large influx of people moving into the state, and all the problems unrestrained growth brings. In particular these last 4-5 years it's been really bad, from filled trailer camps, to higher taxes.

I'll tell ya straight, every family has their spot, and they'll park their trailers on it way in advance to get it. I have done it myself, playing musical trailers. One family member pulls their trailer in, and someone else from the family swaps it in a couple weeks with another trailer. It gets really bad before the archery hunt. I've helped my family make sure they get their camp, playing musical trailers at, or over a month in advance. Most of the time I'm hunting solo and I move around a lot, so I don't have any one spot I'm partial to. However if my wife and daughter are coming, I'll park my trailer a week before opening day if the opportunity presents itself.

Things weren't this bad 4-5 years ago, you'd almost be guaranteed to get your spot, but not so much anymore. I'm not blaming you as a newcomer, nor pointing fingers, just telling you how it is, or at least, it's how i've seen it.

Last edited by Lone_Hunter; 05-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Lone_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post
I'm not making any excuses for anyone, and this is just a guess, but if folks were rude, you may have stepped into some place, or a camp, some family has traditionally used for years.

I'm not originally from Utah, but my wife is, and part of my extended family here has a long hunting tradition. They've camped in the same spot for probably decades; and they've been working the same area come elk season for about as long. The quickest way to chap their hide, is someone taking the camp they've traditionally used, or someone walking directly under or near one of their many tree stands. They may not be outright mean about it, but whomever took their camp, or strolled through their hunting areas won't have much in the way brownie points with them.

Right now, (and this is just my opinion) tradition, is clashing with a lot of people moving into Utah, and the changes a higher population of people brings. It seem's we are seeing people move in mainly from California, Washington, and Oregon. I suspect they've been attracted here because of Silicon slopes. Were it not for silicon slopes, we probably wouldn't have this large influx of people moving into the state, and all the problems unrestrained growth brings. In particular these last 4-5 years it's been really bad, from filled trailer camps, to higher taxes.

I'll tell ya straight, every family has their spot, and they'll park their trailers on it way in advance to get it. I have done it myself, playing musical trailers. One family member pulls their trailer in, and someone else from the family swaps it in a couple weeks with another trailer. It gets really bad before the archery hunt. I've helped my family make sure they get their camp, playing musical trailers at, or over a month in advance. Most of the time I'm hunting solo and I move around a lot, so I don't have any one spot I'm partial to. However if my wife and daughter are coming, I'll park my trailer a week before opening day if the opportunity presents itself.

Things weren't this bad 4-5 years ago, you'd almost be guaranteed to get your spot, but not so much anymore. I'm not blaming you as a newcomer, nor pointing fingers, just telling you how it is, or at least, it's how i've seen it.

I understand your line of thinking but itís public land and no one owns a spot. I wasnít camped anywhere either. I tent camp and usually not at the trailhead or common grounds. I was setup hunting working a Tom for an hour when another hunter deliberately walked thru my setup towards the Tom I was working. He saw me as I made myself known.

I agree on the rest. I was looking to move here 5-6 years ago and home prices were way lower. They were actually reasonable. Now a lot of them are ridiculously priced. And land is a joke in town. We are renting for a while just to save up money and have a reasonable note.

Itís all worth it though as we love it here. We are really enjoying what this region of the country has to offer our family.

Kwalk3 likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hunters are their own worst enemy sometimes. All you can do is smile and go about your business.

Outdoor recreation is a huge draw for people in Utah and people coming to Utah. Generally the farther from the front the less people you have to deal with but if you need to blame something for the crowding, blame the internet.

Too bad we can't keep all those pesky problems confined to Salt Lake and Utah county.

Enjoy your time and you will eventually get things figured out.
middlefork is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in