Trail Cam Mounting and Suggestions on Placement - Page 2 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,441
Threads: 64,274
Welcome to our newest member, birddog
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood View Post
I just purchased a half dozen Browning Strike Force Pro HD for some scouting this season. I have had a few cameras over the years but never had much success with proper triggers and battery life, probably because they were more entry level units.

I was hoping to get some pointers from fellow Utahans on the following:

• How high do you mount your cameras?
  • How often do you check your cameras?
  • Do you put your cameras on the watering holes only, or have you had success with placing them on busy trails?
  • Have you had theft issues?
  • Do you leave them in video mode, or picture mode? Why?
  • Any other advice?

I know my questions are pretty open ended, just looking for pointers from those who have had great success. Thanks y'all!
I was fortunate to be able to test and develop trail cameras for a living until recently. They're a hoot and you'll have as much or more fun going to look at them and find out what critters are on the cards than actually hunting. It's that's much fun. Browning makes a great camera and you won't be disappointed. They've got great service and will take care of you right. Good guys all around over there.

How high? The optimal height is 36-48" to get the best quality images. That can take some work to do to get there. You may need to take a hatchett, pruners, knife, etc. in order to get the right height. What some have said in getting the camera higher and pointing down is ok. There are drawbacks to that. The flash was designed to send light out infinitely and have that light reflect or bounce back or die off into nothing. If you put a camera high and angle down, then that light will hit the ground and bounce back which gives you potential to get a lot of washed out images. It also shrinks your detection range that the PIR is using to trigger images. The ground can be warm (or cold) and can give you some false triggers. The PIR doesn't care if it is a critter or not. If there is differences in temperatures, the likelihood of it going off is high. Shade in the morning and evening are notorious false trigger causes.

Where to put them? Put them wherever you want. Watch game trails for signs of traffic. Sometimes you get more traffic than you think you would and less where you think you shouldn't. Water is good to know if critters are around. A mineral lick or something to get them to come to you is very helpful. Helps with antler growth and gets critters coming to you. They find them quick.

I check cameras between 4-6 weeks apart depending on my schedule. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Just note, that you think you can have a critter patterned over the summer, but that can change significantly as they transition from summer to fall to pre-rut, to rut, and then to winter patterns.

Theft? Theft can happen anywhere. I've lost some hard to find ones and had several easy pickens left alone. Get a python lock and see what you can do. Try to hide the camera if possible anyway because critters love to sniff/lick/pester/destroy them.

If I remember right, your camera has both mode, where you can take a picture and video. I prefer images and put it to 5-7 shot burst mode. Videos are cool, but take up a lot of data. DallanC has some great video clips that are awesome. Do elk fart in the woods? Apparently.

Last bit of advice. Spend money on lithium batteries. It's worth it. They work more consistently than alkaline. Lithium gives you 100% power until they're dead. Alkaline gives you 50% power output with 50% battery capacity. That affects flash, camera operation, duration of video length, lots of stuff. Secondly, get a nice SD Card. Class 10 or higher. This will help with the transfer speed and re-writeability on the card over time. Most of the defects I saw in cameras was usually corrupted cards that customers were blaming on a camera.

Good luck. Happy to answer any questions you may have. It's addicting.
AF CYN likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis8 View Post
DallanC has some great video clips that are awesome. Do elk fart in the woods? Apparently.
Elk fart and the screaming bull are my two best. I also have one of a spike elk fighting his reflection in the water.

-DallanC
cottonwood likes this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lol you guys crack me up. I'm stoked to see what I can find this season. Cameras arrived today along with the lock cables and steel boxes. Thanks all for the advice, you just cut off a year of learning for me.
cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

I like to mount my camera's high and pointed down a little, if I don't the picture sequence goes something like this. See cow elk, see cow elk looking at camera, see cow elk tongue licking camera, see black hole as cow elk puts camera in mouth then the rest of the pics for the next week to a month are see whatever triggered camera through a camera lens all slimmed up from cow elk.

And not to be sexist bulls are just as bad.
muddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thought you guys would appreciate some of these. No monsters yet but having a blast with these cameras. I didn't realize there we so many coyotes up this high.

derekp1999 likes this.
cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Trial and error! Try taking a photo with your phone while placing it in front of your trail cam. That will give you a pretty good idea of what the trail cam sees.
Moose_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Somewhat related comment. I placed my first cell camera this year. I don't think I'm sold on them. At least in the areas I'm scouting. All the places I wanted to place the camera had no service. So I ended up placing it up on the ridge above where I really wanted to place it where I could find service. Sure enough, not many good pictures coming from it. Plus now its dead, 2 weeks later.
tmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitty View Post
Somewhat related comment. I placed my first cell camera this year. I don't think I'm sold on them. At least in the areas I'm scouting. All the places I wanted to place the camera had no service. So I ended up placing it up on the ridge above where I really wanted to place it where I could find service. Sure enough, not many good pictures coming from it. Plus now its dead, 2 weeks later.
Its a Spypoint Micro Link, FWIW.
tmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitty View Post
Its a Spypoint Micro Link, FWIW.
they have their pluses and minuses. i get much better battery life than what others are seeing. my last one was out 12 months and i just swapped the batteries into another camera to use them up.

the down side is the need to update them all the time or they glitch out.
APD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm getting 8 months battery life on average with my stealthcam. I swapped out my batteries for the first time since last fall couple weeks ago.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in