> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,527
Threads: 63,083
Welcome to our newest member, Fernando
Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Elk Roast Help Please

Let me preface this with I'm not much of a cook/chef and this is me trying to expand my abilities.

I have an elk roast (comes from one of the quarters of a cow elk) that I would like to prepare this weekend or next. I'm pretty sure it is bone in.

The plan is to use mustard as a binder, season it with some rub, place it in the pellet grill at 250 until it gets a good bark on the outside and then cover it in foil until it reaches an internal temp of 205.

1) Can somebody recommend a widely available rub to use for that type of meat?

2) Is what I'm planning all wrong for an elk roast? I would like to keep the preparation relatively simple and if it works out I can build on that in the future.

Thanks.
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have given up on elk roasts. They always come out dry for me, even in liquid in a crock pot. Steaks, burger, stew, etc is what I do.

I think going low and slow on a pellet grill with elk meat would be a bad idea. Itís very lean, and the low and slow method is generally for cuts with good fat and marbling in it. But others may have had success.
Steve G likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can use whatever your taste buds like for a rub. I keep it simple when I make a rub. Standard ingredients - Smoked Paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder. Throw something together and give it a try.

I know WyoGoob is a fantastic cook and has shared many recipes on the forum for wild game. Do a search and you'll find something I'm sure.

You know what? I think Vanilla is spot on about the Elk being dry, even in the crock-pot. I remember the last roast I did in the pot was dry and wound up doing a pulled type meat and made Fajitas out of it.
Steve G likes this.

Last edited by taxidermist; 02-20-2020 at 06:20 PM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I have given up on elk roasts. They always come out dry for me, even in liquid in a crock pot. Steaks, burger, stew, etc is what I do.
Have you tried cooking roasts in a pressure cooker?
wyogoob, DallanC and Steve G like this.
brisket is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

One super easy way to do game roasts is to buy a package containing a cooking bag and the roast seasonings sold at the supermarket. Just place the meat, the seasonings and the specified amount of water in the bag and cook. Really tasty. You may need to reduce the size of the roast some though. I've also found better results removing the bones from deer and elk cuts.

Also, +1 on the pressure cooker. That is usually how my wife does it and it turns out tasty.
2full and Steve G like this.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Iv gotten away from using mustard as a binder, I prefer to use olive oil. (Lightly)

Maybe a good rub down with kosher course salt and fresh ground pepper and garlic powder???? Sounds good anyways.

I do a lot of Tri Tip with spade L beef seasoning. It’s good too.

Never done elk on the pellet grill but, iv done a lot in a crock pot.

I do a rub down with Montreal steak seasoning and then I do a full wrap with bacon, put it in a crock pot and slice a whole onion and stuff all around and on top of it, then I put in about 1/3 - 1/2 can of Dr. Pepper and put it on low for 6-8 hours. It comes out amazing EVERY time. Like pick it up with 2 forks and it falls apart amazing.
Steve G likes this.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Elk is very lean and just doesn't have the fat needed to properly render like with a brisket or similar. I would think cooking like that would end up being quite dry.

I have had good luck adding fat by rubbing on a good coating of bacon grease, then mustard, then rub. I usually stop at medium rare and slice it like a steak
Steve G likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John R. Wooden
derekp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Best cuts of wild game for roasts in my experience are shanks and neck. Tons of connective tissue that just melts when braised for 4-6 hours. Bone-In shoulder roasts can be really good too. The key is to find a cut with lots of connective tissue and not rush it.

That said, I am unsure that the pellet grill is the right way to get your desired result. I cooked up a shank this week but it involves braising it in liquid in a Dutch oven or crock pot for an extended period of time. Itís been phenomenal. Fall-apart-tender and great flavor.

I generally salt the roast liberally and sear it in a hot Dutch oven or pan, then sautť some aromatics; garlic, onion, etc. Deglaze with red wine, scraping the burnt bits from the bottom and add the roast back to the Dutch oven. Cover most of the way with stock and put it in a 275 degree oven for 4-6 hours until the meat falls off the bone and is fork-tender. Pretty simple, but the results have been killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve G likes this.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes on pressure cooker.

-DallanC
wyogoob and Steve G like this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Drop your smoke temp as low as you can and pull the roast at 130F, serve it medium rare.

Elk roasts cooked well done like you are describing, will always be unpleasantly dry IMO.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in