> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,681
Threads: 63,214
Welcome to our newest member, Vgbndbwhntr75
Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #31 (permalink)

Just put in a whole bunch of goose to brine for pastrami and two elk roasts. Will smoke soon. Injected and vacuum sealed. See them in 10 days. Will report.
Kwalk3 and Steve G like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #32 (permalink)

Figured I'd report on something that nobody was probably thinking about trying. I wanted to braise an elk shank for a Thai Red Curry. I decided to try to braise it in coconut milk/curry paste blend. Flavor was really good. The spices definitely permeated the meat over the course of cooking. Texture was OK. A bit more dry than braising it in stock for whatever reason.

The coconut milk was so thick and off-colored at the end that it wasn't really usable, so I had to pull the meat and do a fresh simmer of the veggies in new curry. End result was good, but probably wouldn't do it that way again.

Wondering if anyone has ever cooked a shank/roast confit, but used coconut oil instead of the more traditional duck fat or rendered pork fat? Thinking that may have given a better texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curry.png
Views:	21
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	141037  
CrayDad likes this.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #33 (permalink)

Shame you had to discard after all that hard work. That usually gives good flavor.

I would think that coconut oil would work as it is a very similar consistency as duck fat. I would think the flavor would be sweeter because coconut oil does have that sweet/coconut flavor. But for curry that could be really, really good.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis8 View Post
Shame you had to discard after all that hard work. That usually gives good flavor.

I would think that coconut oil would work as it is a very similar consistency as duck fat. I would think the flavor would be sweeter because coconut oil does have that sweet/coconut flavor. But for curry that could be really, really good.
I'll probably try it out on some wild turkey legs or a smaller muley or whitetail shank sometime in the next week or so. I'll report the results when I get around to it. Could be good for some indian preparations too, where the coconut oil flavor doesn't detract from the flavors of the dish.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I'll probably try it out on some wild turkey legs or a smaller muley or whitetail shank sometime in the next week or so. I'll report the results when I get around to it. Could be good for some indian preparations too, where the coconut oil flavor doesn't detract from the flavors of the dish.
Exactly. Cocunut oil with coconut milk would be good.

Calling Johnnycake, what say ye? Get off your bidet and help us!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
Figured I'd report on something that nobody was probably thinking about trying. I wanted to braise an elk shank for a Thai Red Curry. I decided to try to braise it in coconut milk/curry paste blend. Flavor was really good. The spices definitely permeated the meat over the course of cooking. Texture was OK. A bit more dry than braising it in stock for whatever reason.

The coconut milk was so thick and off-colored at the end that it wasn't really usable, so I had to pull the meat and do a fresh simmer of the veggies in new curry. End result was good, but probably wouldn't do it that way again.

Wondering if anyone has ever cooked a shank/roast confit, but used coconut oil instead of the more traditional duck fat or rendered pork fat? Thinking that may have given a better texture.

Kwalk3, that looks so good!

I've been cooking meats for Thai curry sous vide or sear each side on a hot cast iron skillet and then low and slow in the sauce so its still juicy. Doesn't seem to dry out using these methods.

What kind of curry paste was it? (Red, green, panang, massaman, etc)
Kwalk3 likes this.
CrayDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayDad View Post
Kwalk3, that looks so good!

I've been cooking meats for Thai curry sous vide or sear each side on a hot cast iron skillet and then low and slow in the sauce so its still juicy. Doesn't seem to dry out using these methods.

What kind of curry paste was it? (Red, green, panang, massaman, etc)
Healthy amount of red curry paste with peppers, onion, bamboo shoots, and fresh thai basil. It's my preferred flavor combo, especially with red meat.

I do the same thing(sear in cast iron) with solid muscle cuts like round steaks, or backstrap. Was really hoping that the coconut milk braise would be the perfect ticket for the shank to break down the connective tissue and keep the meat moist. Still a delicious meal. But could definitely be improved upon.
CrayDad likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis8 View Post
Exactly. Cocunut oil with coconut milk would be good.

Calling Johnnycake, what say ye? Get off your bidet and help us!
Ok, like I SWEAR I posted this reply hours ago...but then I found it open on my phone. Literally bideted it right out of my mind I guess.

There's no reason coconut oil wouldn't work for that. I have done shanks confit-style in bacon grease, butter, and duck fat before and they were excellent. But one thing with shanks and confit is that you then miss out on all that beautiful collagen in the liquid that you get when you braise them instead.
Kwalk3 likes this.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #39 (permalink)

Sorry I'm late to the game but if you haven't done a bacon weave over a elk roast in the smoker it is a must!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_150918_1586880578030.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	141207  
hunting777 and CPAjeff like this.
Runter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runter View Post
Sorry I'm late to the game but if you haven't done a bacon weave over a elk roast in the smoker it is a must!
Whoa whoa whoa, you can't just post a picture of bacon wrapped goodness like that without some sort of instructions for the rest of us to try it out!!

Looks amazing!
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in