> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,680
Threads: 63,214
Welcome to our newest member, bowhuntforlife
Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

This was goose Ham. I use the pellet grill in place of my regular grill all the time. You can also use the pellet grill in place of an oven in the summer so you don't heat up the house.

I love the pellet grill. When mine bites the dust, I'm getting a better one. So many uses and options. Pizza on the pellet grill? Fantastic. Reverse steer steak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish Goose.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	140387  
Kwalk3 and Steve G like this.

Last edited by caddis8; 02-21-2020 at 10:43 AM.
caddis8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

That looks awesome caddis. I agree. Pellet grills are great for a lot of things. I use mine all the time. I just don't think they're the best tool for a slow-cooked game roast.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Agreed. But could be great for a prime rib style roast. I've got a prime rib in the freezer than needs some treatment.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis8 View Post
Agreed. But could be great for a prime rib style roast. I've got a prime rib in the freezer than needs some treatment.
Yep. Like you and others have mentioned, it would be a good way to cook a medium-rare roast that you slice. Not so much for the fork tender, fall off the bone type.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
SX3

Not done on a pellet grill but yes smoked prime rib is delicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_154037.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	140389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_174516.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	140391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_174740.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	140393  
SX3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

One thing that pellet grill does incredibly well(with wild game) is smoking sausage. I've made moose and bear brats in the smoker that are excellent. Careful though, sausage making is a little bit of a cult. And some of the websites dedicated to sausages are for dudes looking for other dudes.

Also, fish and even birds are great on the pellet grill. We eat moose roast 2 to 3 times a month and it's always in the crock pot or instant pot.
hunting777 and johnnycake like this.
scott_rn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

we cook all our wild game roasts, no matter what part of the animal it is from, to 135 to 138 degrees. past that and its way to done!
wyogoob and Steve G like this.
2blade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting777 View Post
Good luck Steve and let us know how it turns up.
Let me start off by saying thanks again for all the comments. I took them all into account and then did the opposite anyway. Haha. Not really.

Anyhow I first experimented smoking a beef Tri-Tip, taking it clear up to 205 internal temp. That piece of meat was consumed but certainly not worth sharing with anyone but the dogs.

Then I tried a pork butt which taught me a lot about cooking a piece of meat with high fat and connective tissue content. I was impressed with the result for my first try cooking anything pork on a smoker.

Finally I smoked the elk shoulder. It was 3.75 lbs. with bone in. I gave it a light coat of mustard and used Montreal seasoning as a rub. I let it warm on the kitchen counter for over an hour and brought the smoker up to 225, then placed it on the grill until the internal temp read 130 and then let it rest for an hour.

Now I like rare meat more than most, but this was too rare for a 3+ pound hunk of meat that I could not eat in one sitting. So I cut it off the shoulder blade (which appeared to hinder even cooking) rolled it all back together without the bone and wrapped it in foil. Then I restarted the Traeger and cooked the roast at 225 to an internal temp of 137.

Now I thought for sure that I had destroyed another piece of meat but to my surprise it turned out amazing. The most impressive part to me is that it was so tender that I could slice is for sandwiches and bite right through it. It wasn't like some meats where you start pulling slices out of the sandwich because your bite stops.

I'm not sure I could repeat this but next time I'll pull the bone out first and use a salt and pepper rub instead of Montreal seasoning.

Thanks again,
Steve
hunting777 and johnnycake like this.
Steve G is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have smoked an Elk roast in a smoker a couple of times. Both turned out quite well.
I take them low and slow, at low smoke to just over 140 degrees internal. I don't like rare.
Season them with some prime rib rub, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoning salt. I put some Spade L on as well.
I brown them in a frying pan, then poke some holes in the top of the roast with a fork, and put 3 or 4 slices of bacon on top. Set on a cookie sheet on some tin foil. After it's cooked, let it rest for 30-40 min.
It has been quite good.

I did a 3-4 lb. Elk roast last week, as I mentioned in another thread.
I did the same recipe, but tin foiled it and baked it in the oven at 200 for about 6 hours.
Then let it rest for 30+ minutes.
It turned out fantastic.

They key is to let the meat rest for a while. It redistributes the juices and moisture.
Steve G likes this.

Last edited by 2full; 04-08-2020 at 08:22 AM.
2full is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

You might want to look into cooking it sous vide. The elk won't be dried out.
hunting777 likes this.
CrayDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in