> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,660
Threads: 63,198
Welcome to our newest member, Ace864
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default DIY Meat Grinder

My old home-made grinder will be 26 years old this year (I think, my memory could be better.) It has ground, on average, 300 lbs of beef, pork, and wild game per year….close to 8,000 lbs of meat! (I should add that sausage meat most of the time is ground twice.)

It’s a #32 hand-crank converted to a motor driven. I made the contraption at work, mostly on my own time. For 15 years a dozen of the guys and gals at work that loved to hunt shared the grinder for grinding deer, elk, moose, and countless numbers of antelope.

I cut the handle off, cleaned up the remaining drive hub and welded the hub to a flex-joint coupler:

Got a gear motor and built a stand to make the motor shaft the same height as the grinder shaft. Two to four wingnuts hold the grinder down and it's easy to remove for clean-up:

Put it all in a plywood box with a sliding lid. I operate it with a foot switch:

It could be safer. The lid protects the user from the rotating shaft, but it has a large and short feed opening unlike the factory #32s that have a small feed opening and a long feed neck making it very difficult, or impossible, to get your hand in the auger. We use a paddle or plastic drinking glass to move the meat around:

The grinder will take frosty fist-size meat pieces, as long as you want, with ease:

I even have an old press/stuffer that slides into the lid groove on the top of the box. The weight of the grinder keeps the stuffer steady when turning the crank:

Man the stories this ole grinder could tell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just want to say happy 30th to this thing. Truly an amazing contraption!
wyogoob likes this.
Solist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Im impressedThat stuffer looks as old as we are,but cool

Goob ,can I have all your old toys when you are done playing with them?
wyogoob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You can't put meat fast enough into that grinder. I wouldn't want to get my hand caught in it. Back in the 80s you could get 5 or more antelope tags and 5 deer tags in southwest Wyoming. A lot of the guys at work took advantage of all the available tags. There were years when that grinder did 30-35 antelope, 25 or so deer and a half-dozen elk. Burger and sausage. We all drank back then.....boy, the stories my basement could tell.

The stuffer is like late 40s - early 50s. The end of the shaft was gone when I got the thing, 1978-1980??. I welded a new threaded end on the shaft and re-tapped the plate to match the new shaft threads. For 25 years or more Mrs Goob cranked and I guided the sausage into the casings. Her call, she just never could get the hang of stuffing the casings. The old stuffer is also a fruit press and a lard press. I don't render lard anymore since I moved out of hog country, but I still make apple sauce and a little juice.

The new stuffer is ok, has a rheostat. You can stuff tight into 19mm sheep casings and sharpen kitchen knives at the same time. The darn plunger plate doesn't bottom out; leaves over 2 pounds of sausage in the bottom. I built a funky distance piece out of modeling clay that helps some, but it's a pain in the rear to use and clean.

Solist likes this.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here is what I've been using to make burger and sausage from game. I think I like yours better.

My wife does say my forearms look like Popeye's after processing a deer however.
wyogoob likes this.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Here is what I've been using to make burger and sausage from game. I think I like yours better.

My wife does say my forearms look like Popeye's after processing a deer however.

That's a lot of work.

Last edited by wyogoob; 11-01-2015 at 10:27 PM.
wyogoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Grinding plates and knives require maintenance. These are getting sharpened and the holes cleaned for the winter sausage making season:

There are 9 different #32 plates; kidney, chunk, 3/4", 1/2", 3/8", 5/16", 1/4. 3/16", and 1/8". There's a stainless knife and a carbon steel knife. All have their place, each one has a story to tell.

The 5/16" plate is stainless and an odd size, rarely seen. It's probably a metric size. I bought it at the Alaska Butcher Equipment and Supply in Anchorage Alaska. What a great store. Seems like everyone in Alaska cuts meat. I like stainless plates and knives but they are spendy. To minimize wear a stainless knife should be used with a stainless grinding plate.

The 1/8" plate is the devil reincarnate. Tough to push meat through those little holes. Mrs Goob insists that "her" burger is ground through an 1/8" plate. It doesn't like sinew and clogs up quickly. Also it's the plate for "emulsified" sausages like bologna, hot dogs and Braunschweiger.

Last edited by wyogoob; 01-03-2015 at 09:12 AM.
wyogoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Well my old homemade grinder is 31 years old. A conservative guess would be it's ground 9700lbs of meat. I used the old girl today grinding n stuffing 35lb of sausage.

Keep yer meat frosty my friends.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

So is the gunpowder a secret ingredient on your sausages?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
So is the gunpowder a secret ingredient on your sausages?

ah, ha, ha.......uh...I got a few reloading projects I need to finish, one of which would be to clean up my reloading bench in the basement. Honestly I prefer to reload in the kitchen where I can watch birds, cook, watch Fox News, visit with neighbors and lose focus on what the heck I'm doing.

Speaking of what the heck am I doing, why are there TWO different cans of reloading powder there? not good

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in