As the Jazz return to play, some articles/thoughts for some of you - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,352
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default As the Jazz return to play, some articles/thoughts for some of you

It has been pretty widely reported at this point that the Jazz and Pelicans will likely kneel for the return of the NBA season in unison. The kneeling has nothing to do with the anthem or flag, so instead of focusing on the kneeling, focus on the message and at least consider a different point of view. No one is asking you to kneel, and of course I support standing with hand over heart, it's what I do, but kneeling to bring attention to a message, is just as representative of freedom and America as anything. Instead of simply focusing on the kneeling in your discussions, focus on the WHY. I'm not even saying I love kneeling, but it's also not something there's anything wrong with if you feel that strongly about something.

The attached image is a quote from Donovan Mitchells media session today. You know the dude who embraced a community that most people laugh and poke fun at. The guy who has attended BYU, Utah State, Ute, and lots of local high school games. Done a summer camp for kids here. Given out shoes nearly every single game. Signed more autographs and pictures for absolutely nothing both inside and outside the arena. The guy who has integrated himself with this community since the day he got here? Maybe after all that some can hear him out as a person and try to understand where he and his teammates are all coming from. Do you tell Joe Ingles to stick to sports when hes helping with autism? Tell Donovan to stick to sports when he fed an entire school district for the remainder of the year here in the state after school was cancelled for covid? Or Rudy when he's doing charity work with his foundation in the community? Maybe simply relax a little, stop getting offended and try to understand a perspective that makes up about 2% of the population in this state.

Here are some good articles as well. If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...un-newsletter/

https://www.ksl.com/article/50000583...e-nba-restarts

https://kslsports.com/438749/jazz-un...as-first-game/

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...-looming-utah/

We're all Americans with different perspectives and backgrounds, and doing listening at times isn't a bad thing especially when the perspective is one theres not a lot of in our community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Donovan.png
Views:	16
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	142891  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join BHA:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by #1DEER 1-I; 07-29-2020 at 08:12 PM.
#1DEER 1-I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

So why don't they take a knee for a moment of silence before the anthem or anything else?

That way they show that they are doing something why still respecting what the anthem is for.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
So why don't they take a knee for a moment of silence before the anthem or anything else?

That way they show that they are doing something why still respecting what the anthem is for.
I don’t know exactly what they are going to do, but either way the freedom to do so is what the country is all about. Discuss the message instead of the kneeling, discuss the why. I get what you’re saying, and I think it would be a more powerful way to do it if they knelt before and after or something, but if they choose during it doesn’t really bother me. A lot of the people who have an issue with it are going to take an issue with it regardless of if it’s before or during though. It gets more attention to do it during, none of the people complaining would have watched the anthem they claim to care what happens during it be played if there wasn’t a report saying they kneel during it.

Join BHA:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Green Beret that suggested kneeling for the anthem in the first place when this all started would disagree with you that kneeling is disrespectful to the anthem or the flag.

Some of the examples he sited when expressing dismay with the political reaction to this:

Are you disrespecting God when you kneel before Him? Are you disrespecting your woman when you get down on one knee to propose? His point was that kneeling in all cultures has always been viewed as a form of respect. But in todayís political quagmire kneeling has all the sudden become a sign of disrespect? Weird, if you really think about it. But nothing about politics makes sense anymore.
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DEER 1-I View Post
It gets more attention to do it during, none of the people complaining would have watched the anthem they claim to care what happens during it be played if there wasnít a report saying they kneel during it.
Iíd love to be a fly on the wall of the room of everyone that complains about kneeling the next time the anthem comes on before a game they are watching on TV. Do they stay on the couch? Do they continue filling up their plate with appetizers? Are they talking with their buddy about the upcoming game?

I know in my house, if we are watching the anthem before a game (not often), we are standing with hand over heart in front of the TV. I donít even have to tell the kids anymore, they do it on their own. I seriously doubt many of the most vocal critics of kneeling do the same. Just a guess, since Iíve seen it with my own eyes.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
The Green Beret that suggested kneeling for the anthem in the first place when this all started would disagree with you that kneeling is disrespectful to the anthem or the flag.

Some of the examples he sited when expressing dismay with the political reaction to this:

Are you disrespecting God when you kneel before Him? Are you disrespecting your woman when you get down on one knee to propose? His point was that kneeling in all cultures has always been viewed as a form of respect. But in todayís political quagmire kneeling has all the sudden become a sign of disrespect? Weird, if you really think about it. But nothing about politics makes sense anymore.
This. Stop allowing horrible politicians with political motives to tell you how to feel about things, once we try to understand each other we arenít so different.

Join BHA:
Old 07-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I’d love to be a fly on the wall of the room of everyone that complains about kneeling the next time the anthem comes on before a game they are watching on TV. Do they stay on the couch? Do they continue filling up their plate with appetizers? Are they talking with their buddy about the upcoming game?

I know in my house, if we are watching the anthem before a game (not often), we are standing with hand over heart in front of the TV. I don’t even have to tell the kids anymore, they do it on their own. I seriously doubt many of the most vocal critics of kneeling do the same. Just a guess, since I’ve seen it with my own eyes.
How many of them are in the bathroom at actually games when it gets played or in a food line? People can’t see past their own narrow mindsets. There is absolutely nothing disrespectful about kneeling.

CK literally went from sitting to kneeling when the veteran who he met with said it would be more respectful. How about the rest of you come the same amount and try to be more understanding? Politicians are good at one they do....they literally convince people so strongly they should be divided on the most ridiculous things.

Join BHA:

Last edited by #1DEER 1-I; 07-29-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the deal 1-eye. Just like Iím think we should create room for those that want to kneel, even if we donít agree with them, we should also create room for those that think kneeling is disrespectful.

There is a reason I personally wonít do it. But Iím willing to let everyone decide what they will do. I just wish weíd all be better to each other. You mentioned the division. Weíre just ugly to each other. I wish weíd stop that.
#1DEER 1-I and bowgy like this.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is the deal 1-eye. Just like Iím think we should create room for those that want to kneel, even if we donít agree with them, we should also create room for those that think kneeling is disrespectful.

There is a reason I personally wonít do it. But Iím willing to let everyone decide what they will do. I just wish weíd all be better to each other. You mentioned the division. Weíre just ugly to each other. I wish weíd stop that.
I can agree with this so long as they keep it to them personally. I wouldnít kneel, but acting as though others doing it are doing something wrong personally is the ridiculous part. The ďI donít support you nowĒ crowd is the ones who need a bit of a more open mind on the conversation and do a bit more in trying to understand.

Join BHA:
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DEER 1-I View Post
I can agree with this so long as they keep it to them personally.
So you agree with the 1st Amendment, so long as the expression aligns with what you think is best? Otherwise they should keep it to themselves? Címon man!

I donít care if people disagree, and even if they say so. Itís the vitriol and immediate accusations that I donít get. I think itís unnecessary and Iím worn out by it. And that goes for the vitriol on both sides! Those saying they donít support players doing this arenít the only ones that might need to take a step back and listen.
CPAjeff likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in