> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,808
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, jessicabyrne11
Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Oh, man, I bet Bolerjack was unbearable yesterday afternoon. Was it Thurl or Harpring with him? I like Thurl but Harpring can stay at the Chick-fil-a that he can't stop talking about.
I was ready for Jazz basketball yesterday, but I wasn't mentally prepared for Boler. I watched the TNT broadcast. I believe it's Thurl that's with him in Orlando, so at least that is something of a silver lining.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #82 (permalink)
PBH

I used to like Harpring. I actually think he had a promising career in broadcasting, particularly due to his experience as a player. Where I think he went wrong was with his partner. I think Bolerjack ruined him. Bolerjack has a good voice - but he is NOT a basketball person (obviously). So rather that pay attention to the game in front of him, he watches the little monitor and talks about things that [he thinks] he knows. Football. Food. Etc. He has his little catchphrase cliches that he can't wait to use, and attempts to use them at poor times. Just last night Thurl had to tell Bolerjack "too early Craig". Matt has followed in Bolerjacks shadow, and learned all those poor traits from him. That's too bad. Matt has a lot of basketball knowledge and personal experience that provide a nice perspective -- he shows this often during broadcasts, and is much better at explaining what might have happened, and why. Bolerjack, in the meantime, is watching someone in the crowd eat an ice cream cone, and makes a comment about Ingles getting a technical foul - but never explains why. We, as viewers, are left to wonder why, and can only reason that it was really a defensive 3-second call. A few minutes later Boler will hear a whistle and say that player X was called for "over the back", which isn't a foul -- contact is a foul. But, who knows? What we do know is that Bolerjack is already calling for overtime.

Too early Craig. Too early.
Catherder likes this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'

Last edited by PBH; 07-31-2020 at 08:26 AM.
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
I used to like Harpring. I actually think he had a promising career in broadcasting, particularly due to his experience as a player. Where I think he went wrong was with his partner. I think Bolerjack ruined him. Bolerjack has a good voice - but he is NOT a basketball person (obviously). So rather that pay attention to the game in front of him, he watches the little monitor and talks about things that [he thinks] he knows. Football. Food. Etc. He has his little catchphrase cliches that he can't wait to use, and attempts to use them at poor times. Just last night Thurl had to tell Bolerjack "too early Craig". Matt has followed in Bolerjacks shadow, and learned all those poor traits from him. That's too bad. Matt has a lot of basketball knowledge and personal experience that provide a nice perspective -- he shows this often during broadcasts, and is much better at explaining what might have happened, and why. Bolerjack, in the meantime, is watching someone in the crowd eat an ice cream cone, and makes a comment about Ingles getting a technical foul - but never explains why. We, as viewers, are left to wonder why, and can only reason that it was really a defensive 3-second call. But, who knows. What we do know is that Bolerjack is already calling for overtime.

Too early Craig. Too early.
Boler does love some free basketball
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
I used to like Harpring. I actually think he had a promising career in broadcasting, particularly due to his experience as a player. Where I think he went wrong was with his partner. I think Bolerjack ruined him.
I heartily agree with this. I liked Harpring as a player and initially, I don't remember him irritating me in his role as color commentator. It seems that the last few years, he gets off on tangents, just like Boler and I'm internally screaming at the TV for them to shut up and get back to the game. Maybe they just have been together too long and Harpring would do better with a different broadcast mate.

Another one I wish they'd bring back to TV more is Booner. He makes Locke broadcasts almost listenable when he is on and explaining things.
PBH likes this.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #85 (permalink)

PBH- I believe all local broadcasts are remote.
PBH likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #86 (permalink)
PBH

wow.

That was ugly.

but, like all good shooters, you just keep shooting. The problem is that Niang isn't a good shooter. So why does he just keep shooting? Ugh.

'Course, it all starts with defense - right? Or, in the Jazz case, it never starts because we don't play defense.

The Jazz have a problem. I think it started when Favors wasn't re-signed.

Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
wow.

That was ugly.

but, like all good shooters, you just keep shooting. The problem is that Niang isn't a good shooter. So why does he just keep shooting? Ugh.

'Course, it all starts with defense - right? Or, in the Jazz case, it never starts because we don't play defense.

The Jazz have a problem. I think it started when Favors wasn't re-signed.

It could be a short run in the "bubble". You are right about the defense and it isn't just Niang laying the bricks.

It will be interesting to see how they do tonight. The Lakers have the West about wrapped up so I'm not sure what their motivation level will be.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #88 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
It could be a short run in the "bubble". You are right about the defense and it isn't just Niang laying the bricks.

It will be interesting to see how they do tonight. The Lakers have the West about wrapped up so I'm not sure what their motivation level will be.
LA has played pretty poorly thus far. Curious to see if they are coasting for the playoffs or if they actually try and get some rhythm. Could be an interesting game for sure.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #89 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
The Lakers have the West about wrapped up so I'm not sure what their motivation level will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomElk16 View Post
LA has played pretty poorly thus far. .... Could be an interesting game for sure.

It's not good when you are depending on other teams motivation level and poor play in order to have an interesting game.

You are correct. It isn't just Niang laying bricks. But Niang was 0-6 on Thursday and 3-10 on Saturday. That's 3-16. That's 18% shooting. That's not good. He should not be shooting as much as he is -- and that is a problem. When we are relying on Niang to provide offense off the bench - that is a problem!

What will be interesting tonight will be to see whether LeBron or AD hits 40 points first.
RandomElk16 likes this.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
What will be interesting tonight will be to see whether LeBron or AD hits 40 points first.

That's fine as that would at least mean a competitive game.

What is equally plausible is they get 25 each through 3 quarters and then stay on the bench in the 4th quarter of a blowout win.
PBH likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in