> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,122
Threads: 63,724
Welcome to our newest member, Alice342
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #71 (permalink)
PBH

in both instance (1st break down and 2nd) I could put the vehicle in reverse and it would backup without issue. However, when put in drive it would grind.

should hit the shop today. Hopefully they can figure it out...

....i'm just trying to figure out how i'll pay for it!

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
in both instance (1st break down and 2nd) I could put the vehicle in reverse and it would backup without issue. However, when put in drive it would grind.

should hit the shop today. Hopefully they can figure it out...

....i'm just trying to figure out how i'll pay for it!

I can only offer my sympathy. We had to fork out a bunch of money this week for our daughters car with transmission problems. How badly that affects my truck fund is to be determined, but it won't help.
PBH likes this.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #73 (permalink)

Slightly unrelated... but I stumbled across a transmission rebuilder youtube channel that is strangely addictive. Even my wife will sit through one of these fascinated at the internals and workings.

This guy seriously knows and understands transmissions like no-one I've ever seen. He talks about minor tweaks he makes here and there to enhance a transmission. Its really interesting.

I'll touch just about anything on a vehicle, but I draw the line at a tranny.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #74 (permalink)
PBH

Paranoia: a mental condition characterized by delusions, suspicion, and mistrust.

This is what happens when you take your vehicle to a mechanic to fix a problem.

My mechanic, whom I have known for many years and completely trust, just called me. he said, specifically, "we can't find anything wrong".

The first rear differential failure was, without question, a failure. Loud bang, followed by the rear end locking up and lots of grinding and angry noise.

After the repair my daughter was driving the truck and came to a red stoplight. As she applied the break she could "feel" something wrong and could hear some "groaning". She questioned if she was simply paranoid due to the previous failure. She continued on the green light until the next red stop light. Again she applied the break, and could feel the the truck doing something wrong, accompanied by some groaning. She then pulled over and called me.

When I arrived, I got in the truck and started it. It sounded normal. I put it in revers (like I did the first time) and let off the break. The truck idled into reverse and slowly moved normally. I then put it in Drive. No bad noise. I then let off the break -- the truck did NOT idle forward. I slowly applied some throttle and the truck "groaned" and struggled to move forward. I immediately let off the throttle, and put the vehicle in Park thinking the rear-end was again toast.

My mechanic is thinking that we simply had the emergency break on. We typically do not use the e-break (automatic transmission). My daughter doesn't recall setting it either. I certainly did not check it. But, regardless, the mechanic said that the truck is driving around just fine. He even power brake'd it and did a small burn-out just to put some load on it.

I'm relieved, embarrassed, and a little skeptical right now. But I'm also hopeful that things are all good.

Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
Old 09-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #75 (permalink)

Use those Ebrakes! I blew two transmissions due to not using mine when I should. Our driveway was on an angle, I would park, get out... the truck would roll forward slightly and catch on the park tooth. Over time it weakened it and broke it off.

First transmission blew the case in half when the tooth got bound up somewhere. I thought it was a fluke. Second time (another truck) something similar happened, cracked case (both chevy turbo350s). Now I always apply ebrake.

Do you have disk or drum rear brakes? Yea they can make some grinding'ish sounds when applied.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #76 (permalink)

You might have to swap vehicles with her on the weekend and go put some miles on it and see what it does for for you.

Were the brakes replaced and new or were you running the old ones? Brakes can stick and make some wired noises and cause some strange problems. On the E brake, it will allow some movement in reverse and cause no movement forward. It's just the way that they are built.

And yes the E brake needs to be used. As Dallan said a lot will just let the parking pawl hold the vehicle on a slight incline but that wears on things. Also if you don't use the E brake it might not work when it is needed. I found that out with a truck years ago.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #77 (permalink)
PBH

the ongoing saga....

so, the truck did it again. e-brake is NOT on. something else is going on...

The mechanic shop picked up the truck again this morning. They just texted and said "no, you are not crazy. We really fixed it this time..."

they found that the bolts that hold the brake calipers on were loose. I hope that is all the problem was. I guess it makes sense -- we thought it was brake related.

(crossing fingers this time...)

Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #78 (permalink)

It very likely could of been the bolts on the calipers. As the caliper moves and the brakes are used it could cause some strange noises.

Back when I was working and doing repairs I always hated it when I would go on a repair and nothing was broken that I could see. Trying to figure out a problem when you can't see or hear one is one of the worst things that you can try to do. But if it is broken then the repair is usually fairly simple

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in