Utah Wildlife Network - View Single Post - Why Does Utah NOT Have the Best and Most Shooting Ranges in the County

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,248
Threads: 63,943
Welcome to our newest member, Itmustbeslim
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
caddis8

It isn't as easy as wanting a gun range so we use tax dollars to do it. Those tax dollars already have more hands reaching out to grab them than dollars available. Tax dollars and license fees are used for multi use and multi interest people. Fishing ponds? Family recruitment, birding, biking, jogging, etc. They're fairly low maintenence once built, and except for some trout stocking, can become self sustaining provided people follow the rules.

Skiing? Top tourism money maker, also largely privatly funded. Golf courses? Usually city/county run and not state run.

The last and largest issue is the liability and maintenence cost required. I have no idea what the liability would cost, but it won't be cheap.

In my prior life, I was the buyer for treestands at a large outdoor retailer. Just to get in the game for us to talk, each company had to have a $10 million PER OCCURANCE policy. That's treestands. Firearms risk insurance was much higher.

This is probably best left to the private market. If there is sufficient demand then a gun range would succeed. But indoor shooting would be needed so it isn't used only 5-6 months a year as that is a money pit.

I dont' see it at all like second class citizens. I see it as efficient use of limited tax dollars. Utah complains about taxes, but you should live other places and then review your tax situation. It's not that bad. My property taxes on a modest home will dwarf what many of you are paying for a $400,000 home, and my valuations are much lower than Utah's. Just a thought.

But slobs should pick up after themselves and stop shooting exploding targets and such to start fires. You won't win much support with that as the vast majority of the population doesn't shoot that much or support it.

I personally would rather have $ go to Conservation, land access, and enforcement of rules against slobs.