Utah Wildlife Network - View Single Post - Why Does Utah NOT Have the Best and Most Shooting Ranges in the County

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,243
Threads: 63,930
Welcome to our newest member, mcurtis
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
I get what you're saying dude but with THOUSANDS of acres of BLM and forest ground it's just too much area that we can get out and disperse and shoot when and where we want without having to monkey with regulations and stuff. I built a shooting bench and can travel 30 minutes and shoot in a nice safe area with backstop for 1000 yards plus. Why would I want to pay and be relegated to an organized/controlled area for the same thing? Drive 1.5 hours outa SLC and you can have the same. Just doesn't pan out to have a Govn't controlled range when doing it yourself costs nothing and can do the same. I know that it's not gonna be safe to shoot from late July to early September so I do my shooting outside those times. I do have safe areas during those months but find it's best to work around just in case. Anyways that's my thoughts on why we don't spend the $ as Utahn's--taxes and fees are high enough I think.
i get what you're saying because i do the same as you, but...i get really sick of the type of trash people leave behind and the fires they start. that doesn't even mention the ones who don't have a backstop or shoot in their campsite toward the road or next camp site without concern. the option to do things safely keeps being taken away. PMAA wasn't state of the art but was sufficient for some. big cottonwood was quick access but too close to the city for some and on far too valuable of land to stay in operation.

i don't want target shooting so heavily regulated that you can't shoot on blm/FS land but i would like a safe option, especially for those who are clueless to the danger they (careless target shooters) create.
APD is offline   Reply With Quote