> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,129
Threads: 63,741
Welcome to our newest member, jhovatter
Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I think that what I would do is to see if I could find a old CJ somewhere and have it gone through by a good mechanic. Then perhaps put a slight lift on it and be done
Oh if you havent followed that market... lordy are you in for a shock. A really nice CJ5 can be over $40,000

Earlier this year my dad was feeling nostalgic, found a 80% restored 1976 CJ7 with factory Auto and 302 V8, someone was restoring it and ran out of money so it went to an auction. He bought it, had it shipped here from AZ. I teased him about the "other" jeep that auction house had, a 1986 CJ7 with 350 Chevy and auto trans. It was 90% restored and looked amazing... in banana yellow.

Well I get a text the next day, he said "the other one is on its way"... so within a week he had two amazing CJ7s in his yard. But... they are clunky, rattle... hard to get into for a 82 year old... all the things you dont think off.

Soo... he traded them both, for a year or two old Rubicon that has all the bells and whistles. I know he didnt have to shell out very much $$ on top of the jeeps, the dealer wanted them BADLY. I was at his house when they dropped off the rubicon and picked up the two CJs, snapped a picture as they drove off.

But hey, they are out there... just damned expensive.

-DallanC
bowgy likes this.

Last edited by DallanC; 10-15-2020 at 08:59 PM.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

I haven't even kept up with Jeeps since I sold my 1942 MB

But I do know where a 56 Willeys is sitting in Orem, and I doubt that it has been ran in a number of years

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
bowgy likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I haven't even kept up with Jeeps since I sold my 1942 MB

But I do know where a 56 Willeys is sitting in Orem, and I doubt that it has been ran in a number of years

There's 6 or 7 Willys litterally right next to my house in a semi-empty lot... the land owners kid keeps buying them for parts and parking them in the weeds. Some are just frames and running gear, others have bodys. He did get one running and was driving around the block sitting on a milk crate.

Restoring a MB or GPW is my retirement dream.

-DallanC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLakeFishGuy View Post
If you're going to buy a UTV with power windows, windshields, air conditioning and heater, then just buy a **** Jeep. Buy a stripped down Ranger UTV or just an ATV 4x4 for real offroading/hunting. Personally I bought a used, '92, F250 4x4 and its my all around hunting truck. I don't care if it gets scraped up or dented by trees. Its comfortable and goes everywhere! Cost me $1,200 and then I spent $515 for new off road, mudder tires. No trailering, I drive back and forth to my hunts for about $50 worth of gas, but its way cheaper than a new UTV.

Been thinking of getting an older Tacoma myself actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

I've owned 3 jeeps and 3 IH Scouts, several 4x4 pickups and just finishing up a run of 3 Suzuki's, and I wouldn't choose any of them old clunks for a nice modern rig. When it comes to day-to-day use, leave the old jeeps(and others) for the car shows. Some things are best left un-revisited.
bowgy likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
I've owned 3 jeeps and 3 IH Scouts, several 4x4 pickups and just finishing up a run of 3 Suzuki's, and I wouldn't choose any of them old clunks for a nice modern rig. When it comes to day-to-day use, leave the old jeeps(and others) for the car shows. Some things are best left un-revisited.

The only older Jeep Iíll get is the 04-06 TJ Unlimited (LJ more commonly referred to as). That thing is just badass. I want one so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

An interesting youtube channel is "Matts off Road Recovery" from Winder Towing here in southern Utah. Its always beautiful scenery and interesting off road recoverys.

What is really noticable however, is just how many broken Razors they go out and recover. Usually a couple per week, sometimes multiple per day... all from just the Sand Hollow area.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...NF9WIe_3uCfz9Q

-DallanC
bowgy likes this.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have the 2019 North Star, it is my second fully enclosed double cab ranger. The first one (2015 900) sucked in dust pretty bad, it is also loud inside the cab, I love the tilt out windshield on the 2015 bike. The heater is awesome, it is great for keeping the rain off and I love being able to lift up the windshield to glass. The north star doesn't have the windshield that tilts out. The AC works ok in the heat while scouting on the bow hunt, later in the fall when it cools off a bit it works better. You have to keep the air on and the windows up or the north star will put dust into the bike. The north star is still loud in the cab but much better than the 2015. I did put after market Super ATV Polaris RZR XP Turbo High Clearance 2" Forward Offset A-Arms on both bikes, this let you put bigger tires on the bike, give you more clearance, but only lift the bike 1/2 the height of the bigger tires. Hands down the ride on a rough dirt road is so much better than a truck or a jeep. It is so much smoother and faster, I have spent too many hours on dirt roads and this is the best way to go, saves my truck a ton of wear and tear. I can promise you that 2 cab ranger will go way more places than a truck or a jeep, it has a lot to do with the size of the bike, it is much smaller, I go places with my bikes that I don't think a truck or jeep could handle, I don't think I'd want to be in a vehicle on these roads, and I have never seen a truck or jeep on these roads. They are stupid expensive, they are not as good as a jeep or truck in a lot of ways but they are a great asset to have. I have had very little issues with the bikes. You tear those ball joint covers, but they do have after market ones that are tougher and less likely to tear, but pretty much just done maintenance on them.
bowgy likes this.
Slockem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bowgy buy it!! I wanted to but a nice boat 15 years ago, never did, sure wont now. Wish like hell I would of.
bowgy likes this.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ya know, the more and more I look into that Wolverine RMAX 1000 XTR, the more impressed I am with it. If it were gear driven vs ctv... I think I'd own one. Right now, I'm still pretty firmly in the "no belt drive" crowd.

But... the RMAX is getting some pretty strong reviews from owners.

-DallanC
bowgy likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in