Welcome to our newest member, fhnfsgbncvgg
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By CPAjeff
  • 1 Post By middlefork
  • 1 Post By Steve G
  • 2 Post By CPAjeff
  • 1 Post By CPAjeff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Better Business Bureau

Has anyone filed a claim against a business through the BBB? If so, what was your experience?

A little backstory:

My wife and I had a home built recently and while the craftsmanship of the home is very high quality, getting the builder to finish anything on time has been a major struggle. The substantial completion date was missed three different times, which cost me additional money at closing due to a rate lock to keep the interest rate at sub 3%. After I signed my side of the closing documents, I received a call from the builders agent - stating that the builder would not sign his portion of the documents until we settled on nearly $7K of change orders, on top of the previously agreed upon changes and prices.

I'll admit, we did have a substantial amount of changes - ALL VERBAL, but not a significant amount to merit nearly a three month delay on the home completion.

Rant over.
RandomElk16 likes this.

Last edited by CPAjeff; 09-13-2020 at 09:27 PM.
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience building our first house 20 years ago. Our build was supposed to be 90 days and it took 9 months. They wanted us to close before the house was completed, threatened to sell out from under us and keep our earnest money. I got legal help involved to resolve that.

About 3 months after closing and moving in to the new house the leans started showing up in the mail. I got leans from the lumber company, flooring company, paint company, insulation company, cabinets and others totaling tens of thousands of dollars. I fought with the Title company for 3 years over this, they gave me the run around and wouldn't help me. I had to refinance the house to clear the leans and they were settled between Title companies. I'm pretty sure the original Title company paid the leans off as it was there fault for clearing the house in the first place. That's my nightmare build story. Hope it gets better for you. Good luck! Our 2nd build was much easier....
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

That sucks!! CO's can be expensive for sure but, if it was verbal..... I'd have them show proof of the CO. I'd tell them to pack sand and threaten with a suit. It will cost the builder more money to fight a legal dispute than eating the 7K.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did you check on the builder before you signed the contract? Generally they will have a history of problems.

And to not to say that it is in your case at all, but there are probably more cases of people trying to scam the contractors than the opposite. Pretty unbelievable how many people will use any excuse to not pay a contractor or sub.

The BBB is pretty easy to work with. Good luck.
ridgetop likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

BBB is useless.
Huge29 likes this.
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

We did check with the builder and received lot of feedback from people in the neighborhood who used this same builder. Each one of them said the builder missed the first completion date - always (even the builder told us that). But to miss it three different times seems a little outrageous. Honestly, they do super quality work, it’s just not done on time and the communication during the entire process has sucked. I told the builder last time we talked that all I wanted was the house completed and he would never hear from me again. If the funding date for the house would have been missed three different times, I’m sure the builder would have had a problem with that.

After filing a claim with the BBB, I got a text from the general contractor last night. First thing this morning, the electrician showed up to finish his portion, the plumber showed up to finish his portion, and the fireplace guy is showing up this afternoon to finish his portion. Things are looking up!
ridgetop and Fowlmouth like this.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Final update - the outstanding items were fixed yesterday. I plan on contacting the BBB tomorrow and asking them to close the file with the narrative that all remaining issues have been fixed.

If anyone is considering Building Dynamics, please PM me and I can explain what to expect. Like I’ve said before, the quality of their work is pretty phenomenal.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good to hear. I had previously only heard of negative stories with the BBB. If you feel strongly enough state DOPL is a better route as they will possibly revoke their license. Be sure to make some google reviews so others are aware of the loser. One of the nice reasons of being an owner builder you get to work directly with each sub and directly control the purse strings.
As to the change orders, that was not handled professionally, but certainly valid, correct? Is a contractor's biggest pet peeve to have customers that they think that those are free. Many do hose you on them, but certainly something is owed on them it sounds like.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge29 View Post
Good to hear. I had previously only heard of negative stories with the BBB. If you feel strongly enough state DOPL is a better route as they will possibly revoke their license. Be sure to make some google reviews so others are aware of the loser. One of the nice reasons of being an owner builder you get to work directly with each sub and directly control the purse strings.
As to the change orders, that was not handled professionally, but certainly valid, correct? Is a contractor's biggest pet peeve to have customers that they think that those are free. Many do hose you on them, but certainly something is owed on them it sounds like.
Good info - thanks!

I should clarify on the change orders ... each change order was communicated via email or text. Each change order was quoted prior and then either my wife or I gave the approval. Being a CPA, and a nerd, Iíve kept screenshots of all the quotes and agreements to said quotes, along with a running total of change orders on a spreadsheet. The nearly $7k was on top of the agreed upon change orders (they tried to pull the whole story about the quotes being way under what it actually cost - not my problem).
Huge29 likes this.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Glad it worked out. Sometimes they just need a nudge.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in