Anybody else starting to think it's time to head on out of Utah? - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,352
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anybody else starting to think it's time to head on out of Utah?

Sorry for the whining, maybe somewhat political thread, but is anybody else just getting tired of this place? This push for unchecked economic growth at the expense of traffic, horrible air quality, endless urban sprawl, ridiculous housing costs and many other thing that factor in for a good quality of life for the people here just have me feeling down on the place.

Then of course if you're a hunter or fisherman things reaaaaaallllyyyy are starting to suck now. Seems like on the hunting and fishing facebook pages all you see is people complaining about the out of control crowds that are so ubiquitous to all of our mountains and lakes now. There's nowhere to get away from it. In no time at all gs bull elk tags have gone from not even selling out at all, to selling out but giving you a long time to pick one up, to selling out on the first **** day and having to fight through ungodly server traffic to pick one up. The recent post here showing the draw odds for antlerless seemed to be very disheartening for a lot of people. If you told me it's gonna get worse before it gets better I would at least find consolation in knowing that it might potentially get better down the road. But we all know it's not gonna get better. It's gonna get progressively worse until we wonder if it's even worth the headache anymore.

The things that were great about Utah such as a smaller population and a low cost of living are now rapidly moving in the other direction. It's fun to point the finger and be angry at Californians, but can us Utards really put all the blame on them when we vote for clowns like Herbert and his cronies who wanted this "awesome economic growth" that actually does very little to benefit most Utahans? Can we really put all the blame on Californians for making this place crowded when so many of us are hellbent on having umpteen kids and then their kids have umpteen kids and then their kids....you get the point.

I feel fortunate to have gotten into a house when I did because the house that I live in would be out of reach for me to be able to afford if I were trying to buy it now. Honestly, I'm starting to entertain the idea of using all this ridiculousness to my advantage and if home values continue shooting to the moon I may consider selling at some point down the road and hopefully having enough equity to buy (or lightly finance) a home in some flyover state with a healthy whitetail population. In addition to building home equity I'm also working loads of overtime and trying to pay down all non-mortgage related debt as fast as possible and save save save invest invest invest. If gs archery elk tags haven't turned into a once in every 5 year draw type deal I will still visit Utah for a week or so in September and hunt archery elk on the family place, then head back home to chase whitetails in November!

It's likely that this big idea of mine will never go anywhere, but then again it might. Honestly, my whole point in making this thread is just because I'm curious how many other people feel the same way I do and getting to hear your take on it. Or if you have a more positive outlook let's hear your take as well. I don't mean to come off as too disparaging of Utah and its people. All my family is here and it's "home" but a lot of things have changed to make it feel a lot less like home. I never thought I would want to leave Utah, but now it would feel a lot less like leaving Utah and more like leaving California Lite.

Last edited by colorcountrygunner; 07-25-2020 at 08:43 AM.
colorcountrygunner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

If it' were not for a couple ties that bind, I'd have already left. Preferably some to suburb out of Anchorage of Fairbanks.
I saw the writing on the wall awhile ago. Mainly because with what is going on to Utah, i've already seen this song and dance.
Posted my "unplugged" thoughts on this back in January, no need to repeat myself.

https://utahwildlife.net/forum/2158277-post62.html
colorcountrygunner likes this.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

We are in the same boat. Our house has doubled in price since we bought in 2008, and we want out. I wouldn't base my decision to move solely on hunting and fishing opportunities though, My wife is from Southern Utah (Parowan) and we have considered going back to the surrounding area, but there is a lot of growth there now as well. I'm not sure surrounding states are an option either, with the exception of Wyoming. They all appear to be facing major growth too. I believe there are opportunities in the Mid-West or Plains areas, but taking that leap of faith is hard to do for us.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Anymore you will find that no matter where you go that that wack jobs have also found it and are working on changing it to their way of thinking.

When I moved to Colorado it was a great place, that is until the folks from California started moving in and changing it to what they left. Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana are in the same boat. Alaska will also follow.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think covid has been driving a lot of people out of the west coast. Formerly "fly over states" have become appealing to these people. It's not just california, it's washington and oregon transplants that we are being inundated up to our eyeballs with.

At least we aren't being hit as hard as Texas. Idaho might have it worse then us as awell, but I don't they have anything like silicon slopes aggravating things either.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
We are in the same boat. Our house has doubled in price since we bought in 2008, and we want out. I wouldn't base my decision to move solely on hunting and fishing opportunities though, My wife is from Southern Utah (Parowan) and we have considered going back to the surrounding area, but there is a lot of growth there now as well. I'm not sure surrounding states are an option either, with the exception of Wyoming. They all appear to be facing major growth too. I believe there are opportunities in the Mid-West or Plains areas, but taking that leap of faith is hard to do for us.
Oh, believe you me my decision isn't based solely on the hunting. As far as that goes I actually have it much better than most here with my family owning some ground with some good hunting on it. Even that is falling apart to a certain degree though. I'm from the same area as your wife (Cedar City) and I have been wanting to get back there ever since I moved up north, but that end of the state is getting raped and pillaged as well. Every time I go to Cedar City I'm gobsmacked at all the new housing coming up. I'm jealous that you bought all the way back in 2008. That puts you in a VERY good position right now should you decide to relocate to a cheaper area. Best of luck! If you do decide to take that leap of faith maybe we'll be neighbors out in Missouri! Or Iowa, or Arkansas or wherever.
Fowlmouth likes this.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Anymore you will find that no matter where you go that that wack jobs have also found it and are working on changing it to their way of thinking.

When I moved to Colorado it was a great place, that is until the folks from California started moving in and changing it to what they left. Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana are in the same boat. Alaska will also follow.
I can't believe we have these (BLM) Burn Loot Murder clowns playing in the streets and shooting people 10 minutes from where I live. I always thought crap like that was some blue state big city BS that only happened far away from me. Hopefully Elon Musk gets his crap together and starts colonizing Mars soon. Is there any good hunting on Mars?

Anyway, if there is some last bastion of good hunting, affordable living and sane people somewhere on the planet that can hold out another 40 or 50 years for me to finish my life out I will do whatever it takes to go there!

Last edited by colorcountrygunner; 07-25-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
When I moved to Colorado it was a great place, that is until the folks from California started moving in and changing it to what they left.
Colorado has been the poster child of what happens when you have large amounts of people from one area, move into another. When people move in a trickle, they have time to assimilate into the local culture. When people move in mass numbers, they make alcoves for themselves, and hang out with people who are just like them. It makes the transition easier, however, because they are around people who are just like them, they don't assimilate.

Ive seen it first hand at a couple of dinner gatherings. The instant someone there hears I used to live in California, they suddenly go from sitting quietly in a corner, to wanting to be my new best friend, when I honestly don't want to have anything to do with them. Picture that on a large scale. It's how things go to crap.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post
If it' were not for a couple ties that bind, I'd have already left. Preferably some to suburb out of Anchorage of Fairbanks.
I saw the writing on the wall awhile ago. Mainly because with what is going on to Utah, i've already seen this song and dance.
Posted my "unplugged" thoughts on this back in January, no need to repeat myself.

https://utahwildlife.net/forum/2158277-post62.html
I just went and read your post on that and it sounds like your thoughts are my thoughts right to a "T". It's quite chilling to get that insider perspective of yours and to see how quickly it is changing and how bad it will likely be.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post
I think covid has been driving a lot of people out of the west coast. Formerly "fly over states" have become appealing to these people. It's not just california, it's washington and oregon transplants that we are being inundated up to our eyeballs with.

It's been going on for a lot longer than that, think the last 30-40 years.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in