> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,352
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Great American Outdoor Act

The Great American Outdoor Act passes and is awaiting a presidential signature.

Lee, Romney, Stewart, Bishop, and Curtis all voted against it. Lovely
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Didn't know anything was in the Senate for that. I'll have to look it up. Thanks!
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Haven't heard of it but land management hasn't been on my radar much recently.

Did they explain their nay vote? I like the synopsis of the bill but I have definitely learned to be skeptical until the details have been fully analyzed and I just haven't done that yet.
backcountry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

https://www.ksl.com/article/50000368...-isnt-so-great
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bishop is not surprising. Romney, continues to be a disappointment. I got a canned Email from Romney this afternoon, I wasn't convinced. In fact, I found myself reading between the lines and i'm convinced he's no different then Bishop. He wants tax revenue, and that in my mind translates to state transfer and more "Posted No tress" signs in the mountains.

Now all said, I don't know all the details of the bill, and I'm cautiously supportive until I read something from the bill that tells me I shouldn't be. At the end of the day, when it comes to public lands, I do not trust our state government. If for some hypothetical reason Utah wasn't part of the union, our public lands (NFS, BLM) would be sold off so fast it would make your head spin - of that I'm sure.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

The biggest criticism of it right now is the price tag during tough economic times and mandate to acquire more federal land. (Although this is somewhat misleading, in that the acquisition would most likely be small parcels to expand and improve access.

Iím all for this one. Glad it passed. President better do his part now!
Kwalk3 and one4fishing like this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Great American Outdoor Act

Bishop and Lee spin it like the big bad gubbermant is going to come in and make more monuments. The point left out of the current narrative is that every single county in the nation uses money from the Land and Water Conservation Fund for stuff like parks, trails, and trailheads. The purchases will most likely be, as already mentioned, small parcels that will benefit communities greatly. A couple local projects that come to mind would be The Bonneville Shoreline Trail and the Jordan River/Provo River trail system.

Iím happy to hear itís passed the Senate. Now hopefully the president will do as he said he would and sign it.
one4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes and with that $20 billion in backlogged maintenance due to funds being diverted, maybe the agencies will be hiring and give some of our unemployed citizens a job!
one4fishing likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Apparently the president has shown support for the bill. Which surprises me given a lot of the statements he's made regarding energy, land, conservation, etc. If he does sign it, I'm wondering if it would be a re-election move to gain back support from some people, or if there is something in the bill that actually helps the lawmakers that are against federal land management.

There's such a large portion of people that are for the land transfer act and at one time there were a lot of lawmakers trying to push the idea, our state being one of them. It just doesn't make sense to me. We can drill, dig, and explore every bit of Utah for energy reserves and the state would make a lot of money. But that's not forever. Those resources would dwindle and ruin the public land. Save the land for the public to recreate in forever and that's billions of dollars from visitors and residents every year forever. As there becomes more people in towns and cities, the need for people to get into the country for their mental health will only grow.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I loved how several members of congress gave speeches saying how fiscally irresponsible the bill is. It’s funny how these guys are all the sudden fiscally conservative after they voted for trillions of dollars of welfare. Several members, including Bishop, also tried to paint a picture that these are tax dollars. Which is not true.
nontyp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in