»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,977
Threads: 63,520
Welcome to our newest member, OubreyKhali
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Critter

I remember around 15 years ago and a old bull bison wandered up Nine Mile all the way almost to HWY 191 and was standing outside of one of my brother in laws cabins when he walked out in the morning. A few days later I saw a couple of DWR officers down on the Plateau checking sage grouse hunters and I asked them about feral animals and if it was legal to shoot them if I saw one. One officer asked what kind of feral animal that I was talking about? I just told him that the animal that I planned on shooting was not suppose to be where it was at and that the DWR had no records of any of them being in the area and that it quite likely came from a herd a number of miles away. Then I told him that it was a bison and they just looked at me with a big question mark on their face and said that they would have to get back to me on it. Then never did.

Now fast forward to around 5 years ago. My nieces husband had a South Book Cliffs deer tag in hand and was looking for bucks above the Westwater turn off. He came across 5 bison down in the flats. That February I was talking to a friend who lives in Grand Junction and he said that he saw them up off of 2 Road in Colorado north of I-70. He thought that they were some that got away from a rancher, he had no idea that they wandered in from Utah. We went up into that area a few times but never did find them ourselves but I have talked to gas field workers who have seen them in Colorado. I talked to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife and they want nothing to do with them and said that I could shoot them on sight if I wanted. I also called the bison biologist out in Vernal to tell them what was happening. He just said that Colorado wants nothing to do with them and that he would refer them to the officer out of the Price office that deals with the south side of the Book Cliffs.

Rumor has it that they are still wandering around here in Colorado but up a private canyon, but if I do find them I'll have a great story to tell.