Utah Wildlife Network - View Single Post - any upland labs?

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,837
Threads: 63,336
Welcome to our newest member, Aadhyaverma
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
caddis8

Matt, great questions.

This is a good group of folks to ask and there's a lot of people who know their stuff.

Rather than opine on breeds- yet- I'd ask a couple of questions.

What is your living situation? House, appartment, condo? Neighbors? Yard space? Time available? Age? Profession? Travel (work/personal) schedule? What are you looking for in a dog? Are you looking for companion first, hunting dog second? Are you looking for family dog in the future? Will the dog be an inside dog/outside/mix dog? Do you want long hair/short hair?

I know what a lot of people are going to say on most of these, is that their preferred breed is perfect for any condition.

I disagree with some of that. Some breeds are born a little higher energy than others. Some are better suited for smaller families without kids. Some are suited to be around people and not left alone. Some are suited to hunt only with you and not with other dogs.

Of course there will be variables in all of these questions. There are some low energy GSP, Brittany, springer folks, but I would say that most of those breeds are high energy. That's not a bad thing, that's just a reality. So they need to have their energy worked/ran out of them every day, or they'll go nuts and do naughty things like chew, pee, bark, dig, etc. Labs will do the same thing, by the way.

I have a pointing lab out of Idaho. He's only 2 and pointing is coming slower for him that I would like. It's there, but it's still a work in progress. I'm ok with that as pointing is more of a bonus for me since I do a lot of goose and pheasant hunting (no chukkar out here darnit). I got a family dog first and a hunting dog second. He is a wonderful family dog and the kids can do anything to him and he loves it. Some don't do that. Some labs don't do that, but I wanted that and worked hard to make that happen with my dogs. They are with the family way more time than they're hunting, so they better have good manners.

That being said, there are lot of breeds that could fit what you're looking for. My dad had a springer when I was little that would do about anything- except point. Then we had Viszla's and they were great upland dogs and horrible waterfowl dogs. They weren't much for retrieving, but would swim the river for a pheasant occassionally. We then had a pointing lab (didn't know it pointed as it was a rescue dog). She was a good dog, but a little mental with fireworks and lightning. My dad now has a pudelpointer/lab mix from one of my buddies whose PP got loose and found the neighbor's lab. She's a small dog, but a pretty good dog. Points well and retrieves.

If my wife would let me have two dogs, I would get a PP. I reached out to a few PP breeders and they wanted some serious money for them. It was out of my budget, so I ended up with a George, our chocolate pointing lab. He's a great looking dog and a wonderful companion. He's intact still, if there is interest in breeding.