> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,122
Threads: 63,724
Welcome to our newest member, Alice342
Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2020 General Election Amendment E

"This amendment establishes a constitutional right to hunt and fish in Utah subject to state statutes and declares that hunting and fishing are the preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife in Utah"

Sounds good, and I know other states have added the right to hunt and fish into their own constitutions, but does anyone know if it actually does anything?
I didn't find very many examples of it being used legally in other states.

*added link to the amendment if anyone wants to read more details

https://voteinfo.utah.gov/wp-content...mendment-E.pdf

Last edited by pockypie; 09-29-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added link
pockypie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

On its face it probably won't do much. Where it has its impact is down the road, legislation and rules will have to be made under the guide of how it impacts one's constitutionally recognized right to hunt and fish in Utah.

That doesn't mean everyone will get a free fishing license and hunting becomes a free for all. Reasonable restrictions, like what we have in place, will still exist. There will just be an added measure of scrutiny to decisions ensuring compliance with the recognized constitutional right.

We all have opinions on what candidate to vote for, but if every hunter and angler in the state doesn't vote "yea" for this then they deserve to stub their toe every day for a month.
Catherder, Kwalk3, CPAjeff and 1 others like this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm all for it and agree with Vanilla's assessment. It's a bulwark designed to protect our rights and tradition against future uncertainties.
bfr, Vanilla, Kwalk3 and 1 others like this.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will vote no, as I do with most amendments. A constitution inherently should be a clean and clear document.

Besides, in my view, hunting and fishing is a privilege, something that should be earned through ethical behavior.
Daisy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
I'm all for it and agree with Vanilla's assessment. It's a bulwark designed to protect our rights and tradition against future uncertainties.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Barring any unexpected finding, I'm voting yes too. Its target is as a preventative against actions taken by anti hunting and Animal rights groups.
However, since I'm not a lawyer, nor slept in a Holiday Inn recently, I do have a couple of questions on it.

1. What effect would this amendment have on laws such as the "deadbeat dad" rule taking away tags from deadbeat dads?

2. Would it make it more difficult to revoke fishing and hunting privileges from poachers and other violators?

Just askin' not arguing.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's more show than go. It may feel good, but it won't change anything. Seems superfluous to me.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Barring any unexpected finding, I'm voting yes too. Its target is as a preventative against actions taken by anti hunting and Animal rights groups.
However, since I'm not a lawyer, nor slept in a Holiday Inn recently, I do have a couple of questions on it.

1. What effect would this amendment have on laws such as the "deadbeat dad" rule taking away tags from deadbeat dads?

2. Would it make it more difficult to revoke fishing and hunting privileges from poachers and other violators?

Just askin' not arguing.
1- It shouldnít, although that one could end up in the courts for that specific example.

2- Definitely not. We take voting rights or 2nd amendment rights from felons. This wonít impact this question at all.

Daisy, this wonít make it any easier to hunt or fish, it simply protects that right from future attacks. Itís a good thing if you see what type of mindset is continuing to flood our state from other places.
Catherder likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amendment Language View Post
Article I, Section 30. [Right to hunt and fish.]

(1) The individual right of the people to hunt and to fish is a valued part of the State's heritage and shall be forever preserved for the public good.

(2) The right under Subsection (1) includes the right to use traditional methods to hunt and to fish, subject only to statute, and rules and regulations adopted as provided by statute, to:

(a) promote wildlife conservation and management;
(b) provide reasonable regulation of hunting and fishing activities; and
(c) preserve the future of hunting and fishing.
(3) Public hunting and fishing shall be the preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.

(4) This section does not affect:

(a) the law relating to trespass or property rights;
(b) the State's sovereign authority over the State's natural resources; or
(c) the State's obligation to manage lands granted to the State under the Enabling Act.
Here is the text so you can read it and see it for yourself. Itís always good to see it for yourself.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler View Post
It's more show than go. It may feel good, but it won't change anything. Seems superfluous to me.
Can you explain how it's superfluous? Is there already a guaranteed right I'm unaware of? If there is I'll reconsider as I also don't want to bog down our state Constitution with superfluous language.

Given the actual language I think the amendment is pretty smart. It not only defines a previous privilege as a right but details some pretty important context, like wildlife conservation. Given how disconnected many citizens are from the outdoors I think this is an important protection for a tradition that is slowly dying on the national stage.
Vanilla likes this.

Last edited by backcountry; 09-30-2020 at 09:59 AM.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in