> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,984
Threads: 63,530
Welcome to our newest member, RedArcher99
Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default At It Again

They're at it again. Nothing they like better than despoiling pristine areas:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...laska-wildlife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm surprised you weren't here posting about the GAOA?
Kwalk3 likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

That mother Fer.
rtockstein is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Paddler missed the news on the GAOA, and also this one as well, I guess. He's usually so on top of posting things about the current administration and the outdoors...must just be a simple oversight.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...-at-nearly-150
bowgy likes this.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

From the article.

"with 21 national fish hatcheries also open for hunting and sport fishing."

Not sure how challenging it will be to fish in a hatchery?

On a serious note; Center for Biologic Diversity=animal rights/anti hunting organization. Nuff said.
longbow likes this.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure I understand Vanilla's criticism. Trump signing a piece of legislation, what appears to be a good one, isn't the same as the administration unilaterally changing policy that likely impacts wildlife in a negative way.

I need to read into the openings elsewhere mentioned in the second article. On its face it looks like it could be good for sportsman but I recognize within such a vague package could be a trojan horse or two as far as wildlife populations go.

I personally don't have a problem with Center for Biological Diversity as they have often done good things for endangered species but I also recognize our hobbies can collide with them. I don't support many groups like that anymore (I don't even support Trout Unlimited because they have collided with my other hobbies more than once) as I prefer groups that know how to work across difference better. Just not many organizations that aren't hyper focused on one special interest instead of knowing how to seek compromise between stakeholders to foster long term sustainability.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

GAOA is one of the most positive pieces of conservation legislation passed in decades. Cory Gardner(R) was one of the main sponsors of the bill. (Most of those who voted against it were also (R), but still a bipartisan victory.)

This administration has opened up a lot of previously inaccessible refuge/hatchery land to hunting and fishing, which is a huge positive.

I'm not sure how I feel about the drilling in the ANWR. I'm also opposed to the Pebble Mine project. I'm also skeptical of the rollback of some of the clean water protections in the name of deregulation.

Nothing here is all good or all bad just because one party or administration is pushing the policy. But stuff like that doesn't matter when it's partisanship above all else.
Catherder, Vanilla and CPAjeff like this.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Old 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
GAOA is one of the most positive pieces of conservation legislation passed in decades. Cory Gardner(R) was one of the main sponsors of the bill. (Most of those who voted against it were also (R), but still a bipartisan victory.)

This administration has opened up a lot of previously inaccessible refuge/hatchery land to hunting and fishing, which is a huge positive.

I'm not sure how I feel about the drilling in the ANWR. I'm also opposed to the Pebble Mine project. I'm also skeptical of the rollback of some of the clean water protections in the name of deregulation.

Nothing here is all good or all bad just because one party or administration is pushing the policy. But stuff like that doesn't matter when it's partisanship above all else.
I am Vanilla, and I endorse this message. Entirely.

#Vanilla2040
Old 08-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
I personally don't have a problem with Center for Biological Diversity as they have often done good things for endangered species but I also recognize our hobbies can collide with them.
OK, I'll nibble.

My first exposure to the CBD (not that CBD!) was about 10 years ago when they were suing the Utah DWR and the state because they claimed the DWR's Bonneville cutthroat restoration program was inadequate, and they wanted to see the Bonneville Cutt listed as threatened or endangered. Whereas the DWR's Bonneville cutt program was well underway, the lawsuit seemed very frivolous to me. Fast forward to the present day and my opinion then has been validated.

Maybe I only hear about the "headline news" actions, but it has seemed that every other time we hear from these folks it is for legal action that restricts hunting and fishing opportunity as well as reasoned management of wildlife. Most notably with predators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
(I don't even support Trout Unlimited because they have collided with my other hobbies more than once) as I prefer groups that know how to work across difference better.

I will freely admit that fishing is #1 among my eclectic set of interests, but do explain. I've found TU to be an effective conservation organization that doesn't "collide" with other outdoor pursuits. In fact, many of their projects are synergistic with other non fishing related conservation objectives
wyoming2utah likes this.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in