> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,352
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
Apparently, they don't like paying storage fees either. Probably another reason they leave their trailers on the mountain half of the year. Probably the same ding dongs that pull trailers with Toyota Tacomas.
No, I think that they just like being able to "homestead" a spot all summer and not have to worry about hauling a trailer up into the hills only to be unable to find a spot to park it.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
No, I think that they just like being able to "homestead" a spot all summer and not have to worry about hauling a trailer up into the hills only to be unable to find a spot to park it.
This goes way beyond leaving a trailer up just before, and during a hunting season. Honestly I've never seen it this bad before, so i'm guessing it's mostly covid escapee's, not that it does much good being in large trailer camps right next to each other.

As for forest passes, I HATE that idea. Nothing I hate more then having my "papers" in order to go camping. It's too authoritarian for my taste. Now that I think about it, someone still has to go through and enforce that anyway, and they don't even enforce the 14 day limit all that much as it is, so it's kind of a wash.

Derailed my own thread. Too short on sleep to care.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #53 (permalink)

Some of these spots have a years worth of chopped fire wood sitting under tarps. The Forest Service should be able to figure out they are worthless squatters.
Bax* likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
I've said it about every year not, but I think its not too long before you will be required to buy a camping pass to camp in the National Forests or BLM lands. It will have a date range on it and probably be some kind of sticker you affix to the outside of the trailer / tent so rangers can easily check for camps past their allotted time.

-DallanC
In all honesty, I don't think the "tree cops" give a rats ars. If they did, those "homesteaders" would be ticketed or towed.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
I've said it about every year not, but I think its not too long before you will be required to buy a camping pass to camp in the National Forests or BLM lands. It will have a date range on it and probably be some kind of sticker you affix to the outside of the trailer / tent so rangers can easily check for camps past their allotted time.

-DallanC
Larimer County Colorado now requires public land users to buy fishing/hunting licenses to use certain areas.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=colora...69a820b639a7dc
Old 07-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #56 (permalink)

Rented an RV this past weekend to do a camping staycation with the family. Totally expensive and totally worth it. One of the most enjoyable trips we've ever had. I have to admit, the idea of buying one crossed my mind. Then again, it was also nice to just return it and let Cruise America deal with dumping waste, refilling propane, etc...
wyogoob, Bax*, johnnycake and 1 others like this.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #57 (permalink)
Administrator

My parents bought a Scamp trailer and joined us camping last week.

I was really impressed with the build quality of the little thing. It really was well built and didn’t feel like a dumpy cheap box on wheels like a lot of campers do.

A guy in our campground bought a brand new toy hauler and came over and said that it was his first trip in the thing and had tons of problems with it and said he thought the cabinets were nicer in the Scamp than his trailer.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax* View Post
My parents bought a Scamp trailer and joined us camping last week.

I was really impressed with the build quality of the little thing. It really was well built and didn’t feel like a dumpy cheap box on wheels like a lot of campers do.
Those and the GEO PRO's are getting really popular. Crazy priced for the size though (IMO). Yuppys like them though so they shell out lots of cash.

Quote:
A guy in our campground bought a brand new toy hauler and came over and said that it was his first trip in the thing and had tons of problems with it and said he thought the cabinets were nicer in the Scamp than his trailer.
What brand 'hauler?

IMO, all new trailers irregardless of brand have their share of "first year issues". My neighbor has issues with his new Geo Pro, My other neighbor had a bunch of issues with his new Momentum.

Ours is an Attitude. I had minor trouble with my hotwater heater short cycling, and the refrigerator didnt work on 110v. Hotwater heater ended up being the thermostats not installed flush with the tank, and the refrigerator 110v cord ended up just not being plugged in. Oh and the fresh / grey / black tank levels all read wonky, that ended up being some nitwit hooked the wrong colors to the wrong leads on the tank (they were all hooked up in the wrong order... on every tank).

All minor stuff, the only real issue is getting in for warranty work service, RV dealers are SLAMMED with work orders, 6-8 weeks out to get an appointment to get the rv on the lot. If its noncritical repair work, just use the trailer and keep a list of "fix me's" and get it done over the winter.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF CYN View Post
Rented an RV this past weekend to do a camping staycation with the family. Totally expensive and totally worth it. One of the most enjoyable trips we've ever had. I have to admit, the idea of buying one crossed my mind. Then again, it was also nice to just return it and let Cruise America deal with dumping waste, refilling propane, etc...
We did the same and had similar thoughts. Found the style of travel very appealing for certain situations but not sure we could ever justify a purchase. I owned a small travel trailer once and learned quickly about how costs add up:

1) Storage
2) Insurance
3) Maintenance
4) Add ons

Cruise America is expensive but it serves it's purpose nicely. I would think we could keep renting from them every 2-3 years for such trips and ultimately save ourselves thousands or more compared to buying.

Tempted by a tent trailer but I think we ultimately have at least another 15 years before we could justify even that. We'll save the money and invest it instead.
AF CYN likes this.
backcountry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in