> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,340
Threads: 64,119
Welcome to our newest member, Raina13
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Go to rifle scope

I’m needing a scope a tikka 25-06. It’ll mostly be an antelope and deer hunting gun and I don’t see shooting it further than 500 yards. I’d like to keep it relatively lightens not throw on a large bulky scope. What’s your optic of choice? On both my 7 rem mag and 300 win mag I have a viper HST 6-24x50, but I think that’s overkill. Any suggestions?
Greenhead_Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Leupold CDS in your flavor......
Old 11-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Leupold VX-5HD that is pretty sweet. I have the 3-15x I believe. It has a lighted dot in the middle that is very good for low light conditions. I have the custom turret made, but I don't plan on long range shooting because it's not my thing. It's a lot of scope. But it's the nicest scope I've ever purchased. It's on my 6.5 Creedmore, but I'm thinking about getting another turret made for the .270 and switching scopes.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3 CDS on my .25-06 and it did a great job for my coues deer hunt, I shot the deer at 420 yards but have the dial set to 700. I have no plans on shooting it at a animal beyond 500 yards.

I have yet to try it on antelope since Wyoming and Utah won't draw my name.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

About any half decent built(Leopold, Vortex, etc) 3x9 will work great for hunting at normal ranges and normal conditions. I guess I am old school but as you say, a lot of these scopes are way over kill. I even have a couple of my favorite "hunting" rifles fit up with fixed power 4's and 6 powers. Reticle selection in my mind is very important for a good quick-aiming hunting rifle. My choice, if you can find one any more, is the old tried and true cross hair. I believe your eye tends to place the exact cross hair on the exact spot you want to hit more readily than with any other reticle choice. 4-plex are almost as good, but you still need to mentally center your desired aim point and that is never as exact as placing that cross hair right on the spot. Some of the fancy rangefinder reticles are the worst choice unless long range shootin is your game. I also recommend you use good quality bases and rings, mounted correctly and torqued to manufacture recommendations.
Just a few of my thoughts, hope they're not to old fashioned or, heaven forbid, out of style.
AF CYN likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

SWFA SS Fixed 12x - I’ve got one my Tikka and does everything I could ever want it to do. Buy a shim kit (for zero stop) and you’ve got one heck of scope.

I always ran a variable power scope before, but always found that I kept it on the highest magnification - so variable scopes really served me no benefit.
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Double post
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

For hunting, 4.5-14x40 VX3i CDS is about the lightest scope with a turret and decent magnification you can mount. If you're shooting at 500 yards, a turret is very helpful. It has a small profile and will save you about 6oz over that vortex. If you have unlimited funds, a swarovski Z3 or Z5, but they are 2-3x the cost of a leupold.
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Whatever the brand you have confidence in I think is a great choice. I have a Burris 4.5-14X??? with a MIL and it took me a while at the range to get to know it. It's on top of a .25-06 and I, like Critter have yet to test it out on Antelope because my name hasn't been called either. Mule deer and White Tail have been killed out to 400yds. without a problem.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Unbanned

Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3i CDS. Best medium range hunting scope available in my opinion. I have over a dozen VX-3 scopes and they have been very good to me over the years. My newest version is on a 28 Nosler with the custom dial out to 1000. That's about 500 yards farther than I would shoot at an animal.

I mounted it on the rifle when it was new 4 years ago. It's been on over 20 hunts since then and never needed a sight adjustment.-----SS

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in