> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,984
Threads: 63,529
Welcome to our newest member, RedArcher99
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Badlands 2200

I have a Badlands 2200 backpack with the built-in "meat shelf", but I have never used it to pack out meat. I drew an early rifle elk tag for the Boulder unit this year and I am hoping to have to pack out a big bull. Does anyone have experience using the Badlands meat shelf for packing out game? I am wondering if I should plan to use a pack frame instead of the Badlands pack.
hard luck hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Put seventyfine to a hundred pounds on the pack and go for a walk.

Any pack out there will handle packing meat but it is how it feels on your shoulders and hips after the hike out.

I personally prefer just a plain old pack frame for packing meat out. I hate to think of how much meat I have hauled with one not to mention the elevation gain

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've put a front shoulder and backstrap in the main compartment and a hind quarter on the outside meat hauler. It was heavy but it works great. If I have enough people helping I always use the meat shelf. Keeps the inside cleaner. Much nicer than a pack frame for me.
Brookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't remember the amount of elk I have seen packed out on the 2200. You should be fine.

And enjoy that hunt. It is a beautiful unit.
Vanilla and hard luck hunter like this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've done at least one hind quarter off a big bull. I can't remember if I had it for the other one I did or not.

I've helped on various other smaller animals like cow elk and deer as well. One time I had a front shoulder and hind quarter from a cow on the meat shelf together and it carried it flawlessly. Well, except for the wimp wearing the pack, which was a problem. But nothing wrong with the pack itself.

I love my 2200. It will work great to haul out your bull. And you simply can't beat Badlands customer service and warranty. After about 5 years I had some stitching coming apart, so after all the hunts were over I took it into their shop in West Jordan. The next day it was sewn back up, even better than it was new. I have no doubt if it would have been something they were worried about not holding, they'd have just given me a new pack.
RemingtonCountry likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

If a new pack is in your budget, I’d look at a kuiu. I have had several 2200s, packed out countless animals with them and like badlands products. However, put a kuiu pack on with a significant amount of weight in it, and you’ll most likely never look back at the 2200
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Started using a Badlands 2200 about 7/8 years ago.

I got my second before this season. Reason I got a new one is my old was their one-size-fits-all frame which is actually a Large. My new is a Medium (I am short, whatever)... My son is tall and has now taken over my old one but I have no doubts I could still sell it for good money. It's been awesome. Haven't needed the warranty, but only heard good things!

They work great. I wouldn't see a reason to buy a new pack, especially when yours isn't even bloody yet.
RemingtonCountry likes this.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've used the Badlands 2200 off and on over the years. I like the pack for what it was designed for.

I hauled out a fairly mature buck in it one year. I was able to get both hind quarters, front quarters and backstraps in it. It wasn't really comfortable, but I got all of that out in one shot. I ended up carrying the head out.

Not an elk, but I think it'll work fine. Just be sure to take your best friends with you to help haul out meat!

I now use the EXO pack. Love it! But it's quite a bit more than the Badlands 2200.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

I will echo what has been said. I have hauled out multiple elk with mine. Handles a hind of a big bull just fine. Great pack and great warranty. I had my first for 10 years. A bunch of zippers had blown out and a few buckles broke. Took it down to them and they gave me a brand new one. Best customer service ever.
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the all comments. I have taken a few hikes with weight in the pack recently and I think it will be okay for hauling quarters. The size of the internal frame isn't ideal, but it will be good enough for packing one bull (hopefully a giant bull) out,
hard luck hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
badlands, boulder, meat, pack frame

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in