> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,671
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, garden1h
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Multiday hunting pack recomendations?

Last few months, ive been looking for a pack that:

- can hold a bow, or a smoke pole.
- can mount a holster on the waist pad.
- has a meat hauler
- carry everything I need for 3 days. ( I guess that means 75 liters or there abouts)
- is less then $400 so i can justify the expense to the wife.

Alps Commander is right out. Already have it, works ok for backpacking trips in the winter, but it's not something I want to use on an archery hunt.
Alps commander X i'd have already purchased off ebay, but I was outbid at the last minute. Base pack is a little heavy anyway.

Suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you're gonna spend $400, I'd look used on the Rokslide forum classifieds for a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Exo Pack. Might still be tough to get frame and pack for $400 but it would fit the bill of what you need.

I personally use a Kifaru(I have the Reckoning Bag as well as the Stryker which is more of a day bag with a meat shelf.) Mostly do 2-5 day backpack hunts. Helped pack out 4 bucks 3 cow elk and an antelope last year, and have done similar amounts of hauling the 2-3 years previous to that. Meat shelf is nice because you can pack out half an animal in the load shelf and pack camp inside the bag.

Lots of good options out there.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Personally I am a huge fan of the mystery ranch series of packs. They can be spendy but are well worth the $.

How to get them for less than $400? BlackOvis and or Camofire websites. They are sort of the same company but camofire is the daily flash sale side of BlackOvis's gear. So sign up for camofire emails and wait for them to list a mystery ranch bag you want. Going the camofire route is just a waiting game for the thing you are interested in.

Also, BlackOvis just finished their memorial day sale with all mystery ranch packs being 25% off. BlackOvis seems to do this sale about once a quarter. So their $500 bags (average price for their packs) cost only $375. That is what I did. Hope this helps!
aspiring_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you are limited to a few packs.

Badlands does some sells every year to where things are 50% off. I usually get an outfitter code that I could share next time I get it with you over PM. That'll probably come around again in August. That would knock the Vario system down to the $350 range. Other than that, I think that another had mentioned Mystery Ranch. I have no experience with them.

In the realm of used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and EXO, finding a used one around $400 would be pretty lucky. I have seen some older ones in that range. EXO has a Facebook page that occasionally a K2, or even a K3 will come up. Those generally go for between $500-$600 and sell within minutes.

I have an EXO K3 4800 that I just love. It is a comfortable well designed pack.

Good luck. Let me know if you would be interested in the code I will get in the next couple of months.
Bax* and Lone_Hunter like this.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I donít know why Eberlestock never gets any love on these threads. Made in Idaho and purpose built. With their materials and build quality I donít see ever needing a Badlands style warranty. I have the Blue Widow and am happy with it. It seems heavy in the hand, but fully loaded it carries weight well.
Lone_Hunter likes this.
one4fishing is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would put my money into the frame that has a load sling (meat shelf) and load lifters. As far as carrying a camp on your back, any duffle and rainfly will work. For compressing your duffle a compression panel will do that as well as double for hauling meat to keep it secure.

If you just want to pack in and hunt from there you can carry along your current day pack as part of your duffle system.

For $400, you can buy a new top of the line improved style frame. Your shoulders, back, and hips will thank you.

Just need to research frames now to choose what you want. I went with Stone Glacier FWIW.
Lone_Hunter likes this.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

In that price range I would look into a Mystery Ranch. I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Metcalf this year to give a try. (I got a deal on it) but, its $499 msrp and you will most likely find it cheaper if you look around. (scheels sometimes has deals on them)

I did a lot of looking into Mystery Ranch and I cant find a whole lot of bad things about them. Lots of guys say the more weight you add to it the more comfortable it gets. It fits me nice and seems to be comfortable. The Metcalf is a 4-5 day pack. A week if your a smart backpack hunter. I have only used it on the turkey hunt so far but, I got it for a day hunting pack and if I need to use it as a 4 day pack it will do it.

Its got a meat shelf and the frame seems well designed. look at some videos on their website.

Or I could probably get you a deal on a Sitka pack..

Last edited by goosefreak; 06-03-2020 at 10:48 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I think you are limited to a few packs.

Badlands does some sells every year to where things are 50% off. I usually get an outfitter code that I could share next time I get it with you over PM. That'll probably come around again in August. That would knock the Vario system down to the $350 range. Other than that, I think that another had mentioned Mystery Ranch. I have no experience with them.

In the realm of used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and EXO, finding a used one around $400 would be pretty lucky. I have seen some older ones in that range. EXO has a Facebook page that occasionally a K2, or even a K3 will come up. Those generally go for between $500-$600 and sell within minutes.

I have an EXO K3 4800 that I just love. It is a comfortable well designed pack.

Good luck. Let me know if you would be interested in the code I will get in the next couple of months.

Thank you. If I commit to purchasing a badlands pack, I will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4fishing View Post
I donít know why Eberlestock never gets any love on these threads. Made in Idaho and purpose built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Elk View Post
I would put my money into the frame that has a load sling (meat shelf) and load lifters. As far as carrying a camp on your back, any duffle and rainfly will work. .

Both of you got me looking at things I hadn't considered before.

This is interesting.
https://eberlestock.com/collections/...32111526510643

Aside from that, I do have some dufflebags left over from my younger days. All they do is sit there folded up neatly on a shelf. Haven't used them in a couple decades. I could probably save some money if I can figure out how to intergrate them with my existing daypack and a carrier frame. Although the eberlestock is much more tempting. If I shop around hard enough, I might be able to get that going on the cheap, not sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefreak View Post

Or I could probably get you a deal on a Sitka pack..
You have some inside connection somewhere?

As far as I know, Sitka is top dollar, and well out of my price range. I probably couldn't even afford their underwear, assuming they make some. LOL

Last edited by Lone_Hunter; 06-05-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Lone_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I'd look used on the Rokslide forum classifieds for a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Exo Pack.
^^This^^. Also look on KSL classifieds.

Key to packs is seeing what fits you personally. Each is different. I've had Eberlestock, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Horn Hunter and currently use and like Kifaru the best.
gdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

I went with SG in 2014, at the time, they were the lightest pack when empty out there for what I wanted. Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. Also, you put the meat in between the bag and frame, keeping you from having to rearrange everything in your bag to haul meat. Leakage is not a problem as it is all external. SG now has an improved and redesigned frame that is top of the line.

They also were one of the few that had an actual meat shelf. That coupled with the bag that doubles as a compression panel, seemed like the number one option for me. Guess you could say that I'm a SG "fanboy", especially of it makes me feel better about my purchase.

Some people don't like the SG bags because there are no camo color options, but, I don't walk backward, so...
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in