> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,520
Threads: 63,078
Welcome to our newest member, waterdes4m
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using Trails to Get to Public

This may be a question I need to go to a DNR office for or ask Ogden LEO, but figured Iíd try here real quick.

There is a public land area in Ogden that is accessible using the many trail systems in the area. The trail systems are used by public daily for biking hiking etc, however the trail heads start on private (City of Ogden owned) and run thru some private to get to the public.

Am I allowed to use these trails to travel thru the private in order to hunt the public land?

Left circle trail head. Right is public that I want to setup on. Much more public to the right of that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Brettski7; 05-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Brettski7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

If the trails are open to the public, as you suggested in your post, you have already answered your own question and should delete your post immediately.
Buckfinder likes this.
shaner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
If the trails are open to the public, as you suggested in your post, you have already answered your own question and should delete your post immediately.

But I havenít already answered my question. Iím not from Utah and just lived here recently. There could be certain rules in place etc or certain landowner permissions in place I donít know about. Iím from LA originally and we donít have any of these issues or concerns there. I see we have another smartass.

Iím asking just to make sure Iím covered from someone who really knows.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

You will find that while it is legal to access the area to hunt using these type of trails most look for other areas to hunt in.

I'm not sure about this area but the general public that likes to uses these trails may or may not be friendly to us hunter types, especially if you are packing out a animal.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
You will find that while it is legal to access the area to hunt using these type of trails most look for other areas to hunt in.

I'm not sure about this area but the general public that likes to uses these trails may or may not be friendly to us hunter types, especially if you are packing out a animal.

Thanks critter for the useful info. I figured the last part as much and not worried about that. Iím pretty good at ignoring people running their mouth. This area has something very interesting thatís Iíd like to chase. May go scout it again one day to find the quickest easiest way to get where I want to be and try to get it done.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

There are a couple ways into that area to hunt. I live close by and have hunted there myself on occasion. Most people are fine with you going in with a rifle or bow. Some will give you the general dirty look. The way I go into that area is from Ogden Canyon. You can hunt the entire way into and out of there.
muleydeermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I literally grew up next to that trail head. You can use the trails for access to the forest no problem.

The surrounding land owners are pretty strict about trespass so if hunting I would make sure you don't look like you are on their property.

And I'm not sure on the law but using a firearm in that area would probably bring you unwanted attention.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

And the suggestion you remove your post is more for the fact that the area in question can be an attractive spot for others already and don't need it broadcast. I don't think they were being a smartass.

As a general rule any area along the Wasatch Front with access to the forest is popular with the Extended Area archery hunters.

Enjoy yourself that hike will give you a workout at the very least.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
And the suggestion you remove your post is more for the fact that the area in question can be an attractive spot for others already and don't need it broadcast. I don't think they were being a smartass.

As a general rule any area along the Wasatch Front with access to the forest is popular with the Extended Area archery hunters.

Enjoy yourself that hike will give you a workout at the very least.

Ah if that is the case then I apologize to the other poster. Sincerely.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Haha, I love watching you guys try to protect your areas. You might also want to look at the Farmington Canyon Rd. area too, Brett.

One thing about hunting from a public trailhead near the Wasatch Front: hunters can get their vehicles vandalized by people who think you're a big bad murdering hunter man. I sometimes hunt those areas but I always get there and get hunting before first light and I don't have a bunch of hunting logos and stuff on my vehicle.
Critter likes this.
Jedidiah is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in