> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,122
Threads: 63,724
Welcome to our newest member, Alice342
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Backpacking tent stove

Anyone using a Kifaru, Lite Outdoors, or other kind of titanium backpacking tent stove? If so, worth the money? Also what tent are you running it with? I'm intrigued to hear of anyone's experiences before my wife kills me for spending the money.
flyfisher20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 04:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

In a word,

YES.

For something to do the other weekend, I just spent two and a half days by myself, back in the woods, not far from payson lakes. I backpacked in from the maple del area, while also dragging a sled. Winter still being what it is. I think the average temps in the morning and evening were around 20, overnight lows somewhere between 10 and 15. Not too bad.

Once i got that stove going, the inside temp of my tent ranged between 50-60 degrees. I'm using a luxe minipeak XL. It's a 3 man tent, that lux hiking gear advertises as a backcountry hunters tent. After using it this last weekend, I believe them. However, the tent, with its winter liner, the center pole, and the stove, is probably about 9 pounds total. You could probably cut that weight by using a specialized trekking pole for your center pole, and removing the winter liner. The stove, is a flat 4 pounds or so, no matter what you do.

If you go this route, and I have to admit its nice to be able to get out of the cold and cook your food indoors, I have to tell you, your probably going to be spending around 600 dollars on the setup, and you'll be spending half your day gathering firewood once you get to where ever your going.
Bax* and famech36 like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use a Lite Outdoors 18" stove with a Seek Outside Cimarron. It can be a game changer on some hunts/backpacking trips. Any specific info your looking for?
gdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post
I use a Lite Outdoors 18" stove with a Seek Outside Cimarron. It can be a game changer on some hunts/backpacking trips. Any specific info your looking for?
Can you fit two people in your tent with the stove? I tend to be the person that over analyzes/reviews things before I spend the money. I've basically convinced myself I'm going to get a stove and new tent, just seeking others experiences to help decide which ones. Once I decide I'll try and clear it with the wife😉
Old 02-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I totally get it on over analyzing things. I do it all the time.

I've been using this tent:
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collect...ramid-hot-tent

Paired with this stove:
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collect...stove-titanium

They are a game changer. The above tent is listed as 3 person tent, but the stove eats up a lot of room, as does firewood, and your gear. If you want to hot tent it with two people, you might want to be looking at a 4 or 5 person tent.

Look around youtube, you'll find hot tenting videos, that might give you an idea on types, brands, and sizes.
Bax* likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Luxe Octopeak Tipi with snow skirts looks enticing. Maybe add in one of their bathtub floors and I don't know that an inner mesh tent would ever be needed, even in the summer.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

The new seek outside U turn stoves are very impressive they definitely demand a look if your looking for light wieght and quality construction. They have a booth at the EXPO this year.

I used a stove for many years in a floorless shelter. It's great not only to be able to dry out your stuff in the late season but a huge morale boost when the sun goes down so early in the evening.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Bax*, 3arabians, CPAjeff and 2 others like this.

Last edited by weaversamuel76; 02-14-2020 at 12:28 PM.
weaversamuel76 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaversamuel76 View Post
It's great not only to be able to dry out your stuff in the late season but a huge morale boost when the sun goes down so early in the evening.

Definitely, being able to dry your gloves, boots, or whatever is huge. Espeically during winter. Things that boost your morale, aren't to be overlooked either. I used to rough it a lot more then I do now. As time goes on, I find i'm allowing myself more comforts simply because it boosts my morale. Some things I just get tired of, like cooking my food in rain or sleet. After doing it enough, I figure I've paid my dues enough.

Edit:

One really nice thing about a hot tent stove, is being able to cook on the thing. I honestly thought about bringing some elk backstraps with me last weekend. Instead I just boiled snow for water and scarfed down mountain house for dinner.
Bax* and Sjames-XFO like this.

Last edited by Lone_Hunter; 02-14-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Lone_Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Boy, those things are tiny. What, about a 15 min burn? Certainly better than nothing but seems by the time you got your tent warmed up in the morning it would be about as easy to just roll out and build a big old fire outside.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I didn't exactly hold a stopwatch to it, but I think I got about 3 hours or so of burn time. I used half in the evening, and the other half in the morning. I had a few logs left over and left them there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	140351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	140353  
Bax* and 3arabians like this.

Last edited by Lone_Hunter; 02-14-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Lone_Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in