> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,433
Threads: 64,249
Welcome to our newest member, Neboismyhome
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Unbanned

Default Boots for Alaska

Well, I'm headed to AK in 2017 for a deer hunt. I've never experienced the combination of wet and hiking that I suspect I will face. Looking for advice on boots. I've checked out the offerings from Muck and I'm not sure what a 1000' ascent would be like in them. Thanks!......and yes, I'm already so excited that it's going to be a loooooong wait until November.------SS
Longgun and bowgy like this.
Springville Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have some insulated Danner high grounds with the 8" ankle. They work great for the hiking in South Central both in rain and snow. I'm sure they'd be adequate for Kodiak too. Maybe next fall I'll give that a whirl myself
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I dont have any advice for hunting AK as I have never had the opportunity, but I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and would definitely encourage you to buy something that you won't question as to whether they will hold up or not, but to buy something you know perfectly well will hold up and last for several seasons to come.

On a side note - (and Longbow will have to validate for me), I have heard that AK has some rules about having to hunt a few miles from the road for caribou, but I wonder if deer have similar rules? If so, you are definitely going to have some serious physical conditioning ahead of you to haul an animal out.

Best of luck!
bowgy and Springville Shooter like this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Unbanned

My plan is to get in tip-top shape, then shoot my deer on the beach........we'll see how it goes.-----SS
Longgun, wyogoob, Huge29 and 2 others like this.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd say it depends alot on what fits your feet but don't go cheap on boots for a hunt like that. Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, Zamberlan, Hanwaag, Meindl, etc. all make some quality boots if they fit your feet. Get something with some good ankle support for packing and/or sidehilling. Make sure they fit your feet and then break them in really well. Sounds like a fun hunt, good luck.
twall13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Unbanned

I've got a pair of Kennetreks and a pair of Hoffman packs that I normally hunt with. Just not sure that any leather/lace-up boot will keep my feet dry for the duration. Also don't want to pack more than two pairs.---------SS
Longgun likes this.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lowa Tibet GTX. I spent a week in Kodiak this year and they were amazing. If you think you're going to be getting soaked pick up some gaiters.
wyogoob likes this.
NVDuckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springville Shooter View Post
My plan is to get in tip-top shape, then shoot my deer on the beach........we'll see how it goes.-----SS
The beauty of this hunt is it can be as strenuous as you want to make it. Both time's I went with the uninsulated Duratuff's. They're a little on the flexible side so sore feet were the norm for me after some long hikes but otherwise they really were fine and just the ticket for in and out of a boat... (That is if youre not trying to drop off a stick flinger on the southish facing beach in the middle of a storms wrath, sorry for the full boots Chuck! lol) Honestly, I don't see the need to go "all in" on some ultra premium boots for this hunt... Good gloves and rain gear tho!
crimson obsession likes this.
Longgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springville Shooter View Post
I've got a pair of Kennetreks and a pair of Hoffman packs that I normally hunt with. Just not sure that any leather/lace-up boot will keep my feet dry for the duration. Also don't want to pack more than two pairs.---------SS

Have Big Al's in Kodiak ship to the Hatchery, then you only have to worry about getting them home. If you don't plan to take a few ducks home with you, im telln ya youre crazy! Harlies and Barrows Goldeneye's are/can be lousy up there if you hit it right.
Longgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd pick up a pair of Helly Hansen rubberized pants. They keep your feet dry by keeping the water out of the tops of the boots. And they are easy to get around with, dry fast, cheap, tough, and they don't mind fish slime.

I wore treated Columbia boots on my rainforest hunt and they did great. my feet were dry until I had to wade in the river to get away from the bear.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------------

e mail: sagebasin AT msn . com
Packout is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in