Vargo vs Emberlit + Alcohol Backpacking Stoves (and Buscraft Mini Stove & Firebox) - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,807
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, MeganLawson
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Vargo vs Emberlit + Alcohol Backpacking Stoves (and Buscraft Mini Stove & Firebox)

I like playing around with small stoves for hiking in the backcountry and for having a nice hot meal on hunts. As a result I have purchased a couple woodburning stoves and a couple alcohol stoves to cook a nice hot meal.

I wanted to share my thoughts on the woodburning stoves in case anyone is considering picking one up.

I own the Vargo Hexagon

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.VtOYdUVHbCQ

And the Emberlit UL Titanium

http://emberlit.com/stoves/emberlit-...kpacking-stove

So far I think the Vargo is better honestly. It is easier to set up and costs less.

The Emberlit holds more fuel, but is kind of annoying to set up as it has 7 pieces that you must fit together like a 3D puzzle which I'm not overly impressed with as its cost is higher and I'd expect a more user friendly product given the cost is $25 more than the Vargo.

Both heat food up as well as the other, and burn tinder just fine. So I can't say one cooks any better than the other. But the Vargo is a singular piece with hinged panels that make for much quicker set up and ease of use compared to the Emberlit.

The Emberlit seems like it could support a heavier pot however. Their website even claims it will support a pretty heavy load. However, both work adequately on my Halulite cook sets so I don't feel this is much of an advantage.

Both store flat and take up very little space and weigh next to nothing. The Vargo storage pouch is a bit cheesy as it seals with Velcro and the Emberlit storage pouch does seem to be better made.

Both with leave your mess kit with a nice coating of soot that takes a little scrubbing to remove. But hey, it's free fuel!

I'd love to hear your suggestions on meals. Personally I love Cajun rice with beans, and sausage. It beats the heck out of a mashed up sandwich!
wyogoob, Fowlmouth and CPAjeff like this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bax*; 05-23-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Here is a picture of the Vargo in action as I was testing it last fall.

It is a pretty compact little stove, but it got my food cooking really quickly and was ready to eat in about 10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	82361  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I got to thinking that another interesting stove to discuss would be alcohol stoves.

I am not sure how many of you have used these before, but they are pretty nifty and can even be made out of two soda cans ( check this video out if you want to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCq_0lfRLM ) They are great for heating up a quick meal when there is little to no wind, otherwise you will need a windscreen.

I own two different alcohol stoves.

1) Vargo Decagon: http://www.vargooutdoors.com/decagon...l#.VtnuCpj2bIU

2) Esbit Alcohol Stove:
Amazon Amazon

I have also owned the SoLite burner but didn't really like its performance as the flame was inconsistent. https://recreationoutlet.com/solite-...ght-stove.html

The Vargo Decagon is pretty darn sturdy and well made. The flame is consistent and lasts about 10-12 minutes which is plenty of time to get a small pot of water boiling or to fry up a meal on the fry pan (cooked eggs and sausages this way). However, the flame is always in high heat and there isn't a great way to control how much heat is hitting your cookware. Additionally, you must carry a separate fuel bottle to fuel the stove. The separate fuel bottle isn't a huge deal as it doesn't take up too much space, but it can be inconvenient at times. One final limiting factor to the Vargo is you must burn up all of the fuel once it is lit. Unfortunately there is no way to salvage the excess unburned fuel and it is tricky to blow the flame out.

The Esbit Alcohol Stove is a great deal compared to the more expensive titanium Vargo, and in a lot of ways has better features as well. I haven't had a ton of time to play with this one so far, but there are two features that make this stove a winner in my eyes: 1) the screw-on cap will allow the user to transport the stove with a small amount of fuel already in the stove which will allow you to take up minimal space and weight in your pack if you just need to heat up one meal. 2) The flame regulator allows the user to have better control over the flame intensity and keep you from scorching a meal. Additionally, the flame regulator makes it easy to snuff the flame out and preserve unused fuel for your next meal. It is still quite light weight and small and will easily fit in your mess-kit for storage.

I really like these little stoves and would highly encourage you to use these (or make the penny can stove) with scouts or youth interested in back country trips where weight and pack space are highly valued. Its also fun to know that there is another way to have a quality meal while enjoying being out in nature.

Last edited by Bax*; 03-07-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Emberlit. I know both products, companies, and owners. Nothing against Vargo, but Emberlit is Utah made, and a better product. I had a small role in it's early development.

For alcohol stoves you can't beat Trail designs: https://www.traildesigns.com/ With alcohol it requires a "system", it has to be much more than just a stove in order attain any benefit from the fuel. Check out the Ti-Tri system, it burns esbit, alcohol or wood. They are made in California with Utah components, same story as above, so I may be a bit biased.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonetree View Post
Emberlit. I know both products, companies, and owners. Nothing against Vargo, but Emberlit is Utah made, and a better product. I had a small role in it's early development.
If I remember correctly, Vargo is manufactured over seas. So yes, it is nice to support a Utah company.

I do wish that the Emberlit was simpler to put together. I really wanted to like it given how much more fuel can be put into it which translates to less time spent tending the fire. I feel that the Vargo is really lacking in that capacity. But having so many loose pieces was quite annoying to me as it isn't much fun to put together with cold hands.

Last edited by Bax*; 03-07-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wish I knew about that penny can stove when I was working with the scouts. I think I'll make one or two with my 9 year old.
Bax* likes this.
derekp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	88921

Out scouting a new area in my deer unit today. Rode hard, hit some streams, napped in my hammock and cooked a delicious lunch with my Vargo stove.

It was a good day.

Ps- not one deer seen. But that just means I'd better go up for another look.
stillhunterman likes this.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Oh and here is the stove in action so you can't call me a liar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	88929  

Old 08-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very cool Baxie! Which deer unit you draw?
stillhunterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Here's another option
https://www.amazon.com/WoodFlame-Lig...ack+pack+stove
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in