Vargo vs Emberlit + Alcohol Backpacking Stoves (and Buscraft Mini Stove & Firebox) - Page 3 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,807
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, MeganLawson
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2020, 04:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Hunter View Post
This summer I'm running an Expedition Research solid fuel stove.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSD4ZNM/ref=dp_cerb_3

Weighs 3.2 oz on my scale, and can burn an esbit cube for 15 minutes. My waters hot enough for a ramen bomb or instant coffee in about 8 mins or so, and I use the rest of the burn time to keep my coffee warm.

You can buy a box of 40 14G tablets for 25$ on amazon that aren't esbit but just as good if not better.

https://www.amazon.com/Expedition-So...6046377&sr=8-5

Smells like fish, but I'm happy with it, it does the job, it's light, and I see exactly how much fuel I have, rather then the shake and guess with gas cans.

Alcohol... I just haven't gotten into it yet. This was just easier for a simpleton like me.
It looks like you probably could use an alcohol stove with that triangle. It'd work as a windscreen and potstand.
But it's hard to tell how deep it is, if an alcohol stove could fit.
seww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax* View Post
I like playing around with small stoves for hiking in the backcountry and for having a nice hot meal on hunts. As a result I have purchased a couple woodburning stoves and a couple alcohol stoves to cook a nice hot meal.

I wanted to share my thoughts on the woodburning stoves in case anyone is considering picking one up.

I own the Vargo Hexagon

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.VtOYdUVHbCQ

And the Emberlit UL Titanium

http://emberlit.com/stoves/emberlit-...kpacking-stove

So far I think the Vargo is better honestly. It is easier to set up and costs less.

The Emberlit holds more fuel, but is kind of annoying to set up as it has 7 pieces that you must fit together like a 3D puzzle which I'm not overly impressed with as its cost is higher and I'd expect a more user friendly product given the cost is $25 more than the Vargo.

Both heat food up as well as the other, and burn tinder just fine. So I can't say one cooks any better than the other. But the Vargo is a singular piece with hinged panels that make for much quicker set up and ease of use compared to the Emberlit.

The Emberlit seems like it could support a heavier pot however. Their website even claims it will support a pretty heavy load. However, both work adequately on my Halulite cook sets so I don't feel this is much of an advantage.

Both store flat and take up very little space and weigh next to nothing. The Vargo storage pouch is a bit cheesy as it seals with Velcro and the Emberlit storage pouch does seem to be better made.

Both with leave your mess kit with a nice coating of soot that takes a little scrubbing to remove. But hey, it's free fuel!

I'd love to hear your suggestions on meals. Personally I love Cajun rice with beans, and sausage. It beats the heck out of a mashed up sandwich!
Have you ever heard of the cat food can/alcohol stove? I think Andrew Skurka the super backpacker guy popularized it. It's a pretty cool ultralight stove made up of one (or two?) Cat food cans and heet. One of the types of heet shouldn't be used because it's toxic... Don't remember which one.
Bax* likes this.
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Esbit stoves are actually pretty handy and I use a small stove during the deer hunt to heat up hot drinks on my stand to stay warm. They really can be useful and very compact.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Administrator

One other useful thing I picked up was this propane adapter for my little burners.

It works great for times that space isn’t a huge issue but I still don’t want to carry a large stove.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Campin...+stove+&sr=8-5

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in