> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,340
Threads: 64,119
Welcome to our newest member, Raina13
Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Well, the hoarding is getting worse...

Took inventory of my reloading stuff and ammo last weekend and went out to fill some of the holes yesterday and found the ammo and reloading hoarding to be as bad as it has ever been. No handgun and rimfire ammo. No primers and almost very little powder. Even the shotgun shells were almost cleaned out. Logged onto KSL to see 1lb powder going for $50 and primers going for $80/1000. I think there is a good possibility that the new administration is going to try to tax firearms and ammo and require nationwide background checks for ammo and that is driving the hoarding. Why do you think guys are hoarding?
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasty View Post
I think there is a good possibility that the new administration is going to try to tax firearms and ammo and require nationwide background checks for ammo and that is driving the hoarding. Why do you think guys are hoarding?
Unfounded (and what some consider unrealistic and maybe even irresponsible) statements like this is why you had your problem finding your supplies.

It's unfortunate that we go into hysteria. The cost of 22 LR never returned to "normal" prices after everyone went nuts for no reason several years ago. The NRA, gun and ammo manufactures, and some others absolutely LOVE democratic presidents. Just their existence make these people mentioned above FILTHY rich.

I hope you all like paying more for guns and ammo. We are the ones that cause it.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

The hysteria caused by the NRA over the totally unfounded claims of Democrats always trying to "come and get your guns" make me sick. I've been a life member of the NRA for over 50 years...he**, closer to 60 years, and find if so sad that this group takes the low road of lies and miss-information just so people will "send in those checks so we can fight the evil Democrats"...I, like millions of Democrats aren't evil and we ain't just "coming to get your guns"!
wyogoob likes this.

Last edited by BPturkeys; 11-24-2020 at 11:14 AM.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

AMEN there nilla we the shooting public shoot ourselves in the foot no need for others to do the shootin. We're too stupid to band together and tell the ammo manufacturers to shove their price hicks which happen AFTER we have choked the life out of every ammo store in the nation.
scattergun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

It was interesting to see the hysteria when Obama was elected and ultimately ended up being unfounded. However, I dont believe I recall him making an open statement on what he wanted gun policy to be.

Biden on the other hand has listed his Plan to End Gun Violence here: https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/# and I think this is where the fear-based buying is originating. Especially when the idea that the AR-15 sale and manufacture is a specific deal point he has listed.

Further, his position on ending online ammunition purchases has been perceived as a step toward greater control and would likely be the biggest driver behind ammo purchases right now. There has been talk about requiring background checks for ammo purchases for a while now. And I could see that idea (although unlikely) being a huge point of fear for gun owners.

If the Senate is also controlled by the Democratic party, then the likelihood of some gun control legislation being passed is greater.

I wish cooler, logical heads would prevail here, but I fear they never will.
High Desert Elk and SX3 like this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, I think most of you are wrong.

Statistics show that the majority of gun purchases from the start of this year, have been to new gun owners. Generally, the BLM stuff, riots, Defund Police, Antifa... civil unrest in general.

They are buying ammo for the first time and its causing a huge demand. If any of us buys a new gun, we usually either have ammo, or components to reload for it... generally, we wouldn't need to purchase as much ammo as a new gun owner would.

Because of the heavy demand for factory ammo, its squeezing the leftover available components available for reloading causing shortages.

-DallanC
High Desert Elk likes this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
The cost of 22 LR never returned to "normal" prices after everyone went nuts for no reason several years ago.
Oh yeah it did... prices CRASHED on 22LR. People just forgot to keep checking up on it. When the run ended, production was still at 110% and caused a flood of ammo there for a while.

When some of the better 22LR ammo was finally available for "normal" prices, I bought a full case of Winchester copper HPs. About 3 weeks later, it was 20% cheaper on clearance sales... so I bought a second case, Federal copper HPs. And thats on top of the 3-4000 rounds I already had.

I have enough my grandkids will be shooting it 20 years from now.

-DallanC
Old 11-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

PS: I bought Reloading powder off of Cabelas website Friday, its enroute right now being shipped to store. So things do popup from time to time. Gotta jump on it quick through.

-DallanC
Old 11-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post

I have enough my grandkids will be shooting it 20 years from now.
You and many others. And therein illustrates my point.
wyogoob likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
You and many others. And therein illustrates my point.
/shrug sorry you cant find any. If you need some let me know. But you cant fault people for stocking up when there is a surplus. Its not like we are contributing to the runs on goods. I do sell ammo (at my cost) to friends and co-workers who need it. I've helped people who's kids / spouses etc are taking hunters safety.

For ALOT of stuff... gear, food, prepping stuff... I'm on a 6-8 month "looking a head" schedule. I bought this years ice fishing gear around July. Right now we're buying the garden seeds and pre-buying starts for spring planting. Also getting equipment / parts etc for spring camping lined up and repairs done over winter (last winter i rebuilt 2 atv engines).

If you want, I'll let you know when to buy 22lr on the cheap

-DallanC
Vanilla likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in