So, how are the new fangled calibers in the age of the ammo shortage? - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,237
Threads: 63,923
Welcome to our newest member, dawsdeezy
Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So, how are the new fangled calibers in the age of the ammo shortage?

So everyone shooting the latest wizbang 3 capital letter cartridges, how is it going with the ammo shortage? I bought some vanilla 270 and 243 the other day that was in stock... heard people desperate for ammo for their new NeedMore or WSMwhatever. No reloading supplies available to speak of... how are you getting ammo?

I saw a report that one major ammo MFG, Vista Outdoors is now backordered by over $1 Billion in presales. At their production rates, thats 3-4 years out to catch up if they stopped taking orders today.

Crazy times...

-DallanC
wyogoob and 7MM RELOADED like this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I learned my lesson a number of years ago way back in 1992. I try and have more than enough loading components to last me at least 6-8 years as another just in case something happens.

This year things got scarce back in May and June and shelves have been fairly bare every since for both loading components and loaded ammo. A friend stopped by this past weekend and mentioned that he couldn't find any .41 mag ammo, I happened to have quite a bit of that loaded up so I let him have a couple hundred rounds. I don't shoot my .41 that much anymore so it isn't going to hurt my supply. I am a little low on a couple of powders but I have enough to do any loading that I need to.
wyogoob likes this.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Crazy times indeed - glad I shoot a boring caliber. This year I switched to a Tikka T3X 7mm-08 and, luckily, nearly everything I shot through it groups great. I found a deal on 140 grain core-lokts and bought 14 boxes at $20 a piece - so I'm good for a while. Nowdays, I prefer a longer stalk rather than a longer shot.

Last edited by CPAjeff; 11-18-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I didn’t have a problem finding 6.5 creed ammo for the hunts I had. I don’t shoot rifles much so 2-4 boxes a year is fine for me.
brendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Unbanned

Whenever I buy or build a new gun, I typically buy enough components to last the life of the barrel once a good load is developed.

I will run out of TP way before I will run out of ammo.--------SS
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Iíve seen a crap ton of 28 Nosler ammo every time Iíve browsed the ammo racks at Sportys. But I donít have a 28 Nosler.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just finished reloading all I shot this summer. 1896 20 Practical rounds and about 200 .204 rounds. I'm doing ok with components. Wish I had more.
wyogoob likes this.
Al Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've been thinking I would go down and see what ammo is available and then see if I can find a firearm to match the caliber.

I currently have enough for what I might have to be good for awhile. I hope the boat doesn't sink.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Hansen View Post
Just finished reloading all I shot this summer. 1896 20 Practical rounds and about 200 .204 rounds. I'm doing ok with components. Wish I had more.

Wow that is an impressive total. What press do you use? I wouldnt want to even carry 2000 cartridges out to the truck LOL!

-DallanC
wyogoob likes this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Doing just fine at the moment - I'm a part of several other forums and plenty of guys are wanting to build or buy rifles chambered in 6.5 PRC, but there's absolutely no ammo to be found. If any shows up, people scoop it up and sell for a crazy mark up. If with SS, I like to make sure I have plenty of ammo (or components) for a rifle, sometimes even before buying/building. I ended up purchasing 200 pieces of 338 RUM brass before I even had my rifle assembled, just so I could ensure I'd actually be able to use it. Rifles aren't very fun to just stare at.

Knowing it was an election year, I started buying components early - currently sitting on 18 lbs of retumbo, 20 lbs H1000, 20 lbs of RL26, 16 lbs of H4350, and 7 lbs of varget. I think I should be good for a while and really won't be affected by the ammo shortage.
waspocrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in