Utah Wildlife Network

Utah Wildlife Network (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/)
-   Firearms and reloading (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/18-firearms-reloading/)
-   -   Why Does Utah NOT Have the Best and Most Shooting Ranges in the County (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/18-firearms-reloading/203811-why-does-utah-not-have-best-most-shooting-ranges-county.html)

utskidad 10-16-2020 04:01 PM

Why Does Utah NOT Have the Best and Most Shooting Ranges in the County

Shooters in this State spend an extraordinary amount of money on our interest. Why do I feel like a homeless vagrant looking for a place to set up my cardboard box when I want to go shoot? Why, in this state, is it easier to find a liquor store than a well-maintained, safe, professionally managed public gun range? Why is it easier for my teenager to find a Planned Parenthood than it is for me to practice shooting?

Lee Kay is an embarrassment for this State. When your kids go to the community pool in the summer, are the lifeguards volunteers? When your kids go to the community pool in the summer, is it open 3pm to 6pm three days a week? Why is our sole public range in northern Utah a volunteer venture with turn-of-the-century facilities with near-non-existent hours? Seriously!

The guy in front of me in Gunnies yesterday dropped over two grand at the register. I spent $100 on impulse purchases. Between the two of us, that was $126 in taxes. What did we get for the $126? NOTHING!

In Park City this Summer, the Utah Olympic Park started construction on $4 million in improvements to existing infrastructure. Four million for kids to jump into a pool with skis. How many kids do that in our state compared with the number who need a safe place to practice shooting with their families?

People, it's time to start pressing our useless politicians for a series of safe, well-maintained, professionally staffed public ranges throughout the State in exchange for all the money we spend that they collect. Seriously!

And year-in and year-out we hear the reports of the accidental shootings and fires on our public lands. And nobody takes the obvious step of providing facilities that would cut those problems way down. Duh.

Can you believe we have a better archery range than our shooting range in Salt Lake County !!!

I drive throughout the Western states from Idaho to Colorado to Lake Tahoe in the Winter months. Know what I see everywhere EXCEPT Utah? Public gun ranges. Know what get bigger every year when I go back? The public gun ranges.

It's time to start making demands for facilities to accommodate us. If we don't we will continue to get NOTHING. Need land? Start building them at the State Parks.

Cruiser 10-16-2020 05:40 PM

Great point! Any and all new
ranges would be well used

Critter 10-16-2020 06:20 PM

There is a money making opportunity for you.

All that you need is around 50 acres of land, a couple hundred thousand dollars for improvements and a million dollars plus of liability insurance

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Airborne 10-16-2020 10:25 PM

I get what you're saying dude but with THOUSANDS of acres of BLM and forest ground it's just too much area that we can get out and disperse and shoot when and where we want without having to monkey with regulations and stuff. I built a shooting bench and can travel 30 minutes and shoot in a nice safe area with backstop for 1000 yards plus. Why would I want to pay and be relegated to an organized/controlled area for the same thing? Drive 1.5 hours outa SLC and you can have the same. Just doesn't pan out to have a Govn't controlled range when doing it yourself costs nothing and can do the same. I know that it's not gonna be safe to shoot from late July to early September so I do my shooting outside those times. I do have safe areas during those months but find it's best to work around just in case. Anyways that's my thoughts on why we don't spend the $ as Utahn's--taxes and fees are high enough I think.

APD 10-16-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne (Post 2201137)
I get what you're saying dude but with THOUSANDS of acres of BLM and forest ground it's just too much area that we can get out and disperse and shoot when and where we want without having to monkey with regulations and stuff. I built a shooting bench and can travel 30 minutes and shoot in a nice safe area with backstop for 1000 yards plus. Why would I want to pay and be relegated to an organized/controlled area for the same thing? Drive 1.5 hours outa SLC and you can have the same. Just doesn't pan out to have a Govn't controlled range when doing it yourself costs nothing and can do the same. I know that it's not gonna be safe to shoot from late July to early September so I do my shooting outside those times. I do have safe areas during those months but find it's best to work around just in case. Anyways that's my thoughts on why we don't spend the $ as Utahn's--taxes and fees are high enough I think.

i get what you're saying because i do the same as you, but...i get really sick of the type of trash people leave behind and the fires they start. that doesn't even mention the ones who don't have a backstop or shoot in their campsite toward the road or next camp site without concern. the option to do things safely keeps being taken away. PMAA wasn't state of the art but was sufficient for some. big cottonwood was quick access but too close to the city for some and on far too valuable of land to stay in operation.

i don't want target shooting so heavily regulated that you can't shoot on blm/FS land but i would like a safe option, especially for those who are clueless to the danger they (careless target shooters) create.

utskidad 10-17-2020 11:31 AM

I just don't understand why shooters put up with being second class citizens who have to justify facilities on bases that no other recreationalists do. Our communities dump millions on golf courses and swimming pools without asking whether it will pay for itself. The State spent how much rebuilding the Provo river? For a few hundred fisherman for a few months a year? The community fishing ponds. What did those cost, and how much revenue do they raise? The inter-county bike paths. What did that cost, and how much revenue did that generate for the state? Who even uses them? And at the same time, we're paying the entire bill for wildlife management in this State, while everyone else gets to enjoy it. When did we convince ourselves that we don't deserve as good as everyone else? As for the anti-government control types, how "controlled" do you feel playing 9 holes at Nibley? Or fishing the Provo? You get the government control you tolerate. Don't want to be treated like a child at a lousy range. Than it's time to speak up and start telling the State what we want.

Any my gosh, how much does this State spend on boating, just so they can tell all but a luck few to go pound sand from Saturday lunch until Sunday night?

Springville Shooter 10-17-2020 12:22 PM

It's funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday when I was at the public shooting range in Winnemucca, NV. It's a very nice facility especially for a small town. All the years I lived in southern Utah county, it blew me away that there was not an upscale shooting sports facility available.

With all the entrepreneurs in UT, I can't believe that there aren't some swanky, private rod and gun clubs. Heck, if golfers can do it, why can't we?------SS

Critter 10-17-2020 12:24 PM

What you need to do is to go to your state Representative and complain to them.

See if you can talk them into funding shooting ranges in all the counties in Utah. Not only the development of one but the maintenance and liability of it. I doubt that will happen.

Or just do as I suggested in my first post.

Complaining on a forum such as this isn't going to get you anywhere.

Lone_Hunter 10-17-2020 01:06 PM

https://www.longrangeshootersofutah.com/ranges/

I've shot at the range in price before, it's pretty sweet. That said, its easier to just pull off some dirt road on BLM or NFS land and set something up on an embankment or berm.

Just pick up your trash, and empty shotgun shells. Personally, I could care less about brass, I pick mine up anyway cause I save them, but shotgun shells really are litter.

Edit: and be mindful on where you shoot M855 or any other steel cored or steel projectile. It's kind of like striking fire steel in some areas.

BPturkeys 10-17-2020 02:52 PM

There is no financial incentive(profit) to be made in a simple shooting range and nowhere near enough usage by the public to justify a tax supported one.
Trouble is that shooting at a public ranges with all the necessary rules and safeguards that are require is just not that fun. There are a few guys that like to shoot paper but the average Joe with a car full of kids...not so much.
P.S. Interesting user name, I noticed you didn't mention the hugely public subsidized ski industry. If we took 10% of the money the state spends keeping the ski resorts open I bet there could be a public shooting range in every county...just sayn.

opps...after a re-read, by golly you did whine a little about the ski industry...my bad.