> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,984
Threads: 63,530
Welcome to our newest member, RedArcher99
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ray

Anyone on here hunt with one? I’m thinking about getting one for next season, to save my hearing and because, why not?

Specifically, I’m looking at the SilencerCo hybrid 46. It’s a multi-caliber suppressor good for 5.56 all the way to 45-70 gov.

Planning on putting it on my 300 win mag, AR and Sig Legion p229 SAO.
Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

You better have a class 3 license to even order one. If you do have the license, then order it now! I know the time of placing your hands on it and ordering are lengthy.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
You better have a class 3 license to even order one. If you do have the license, then order it now! I know the time of placing your hands on it and ordering are lengthy.
It is a long process but class 3’s aren’t needed to purchase. I’ll buy one from a local dealer and they’ll hold onto it until everything goes through for the tax stamp. I’ll also start a trust so I can add people that can use it without me there, just my wife at first, then I’ll add my boys when they’re of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've seen hunters packing them around and it doesn't look like fun when they hit the timber. That extra foot sticking out from the end of the barrel just doesn't allow a person to hunt the thinker timber or even hike through patches of oak brush

If you are that concerned about your hearing get a set of electronic ear plugs and then take the time to put them in before the shot.
Bax* likes this.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hunt with one. As stated, you do not need a class 3 license. Just apply for the stamp and wait. As for going through the brush, I don't put it on until I get to where I am going to sit. I found a factory load that maintains zero when the suppressor is off. Then I put one round of it in until I put the can on then use my reloads. It is not a hassle and do not let someone that has not tried it tell you different.
Bax* and Vanilla like this.
reb8600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think it would be awesome to have one on a hunting rifle. And itís definitely good to get personal experience perspective, not just assumptions.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I've seen hunters packing them around and it doesn't look like fun when they hit the timber. That extra foot sticking out from the end of the barrel just doesn't allow a person to hunt the thinker timber or even hike through patches of oak brush

If you are that concerned about your hearing get a set of electronic ear plugs and then take the time to put them in before the shot.
I’ve thought about the length issue, but honestly, when I’m hiking through thick stuff it’s in my hands and not over my shoulder.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb8600 View Post
I hunt with one. As stated, you do not need a class 3 license. Just apply for the stamp and wait. As for going through the brush, I don't put it on until I get to where I am going to sit. I found a factory load that maintains zero when the suppressor is on. When I put one round of it in until I put the can on then use my reloads. It is not a hassle and do not let someone that has not tried it tell you different.
Nice man! Did you get a multi-caliber suppressor and if so, are there any issues going from one end of the size spectrum to the other?
Old 09-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I think it would be awesome to have one on a hunting rifle. And it’s definitely good to get personal experience perspective, not just assumptions.
Agree on both points!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've hiked through some oak brush where even a standard size rifle is hard to get through it in your hands.

But if it is easily removed and reinstalled it wouldn't be too bad of a thing.

While some like them I just feel that they are out of place on a hunting rifle.

Just last year on the spike hunt we had a hunter across the canyon from us shoot a spike and we didn't even know it until he came across and was hiking down the ridge towards us thinking that we were his partners. We gave up on that draw since he shot the only spike that was in the area, a piebald one at that. But that rifle sure looked out of place as he hiked down towards me with that suppressor on the rifle sticking up as far as it did.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in