> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,128
Threads: 63,735
Welcome to our newest member, mortgageautomation
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Okay I have been hunting for over 30 years. Always sight rifles in upto 600 yards by using true known range. Lots of walking etc but never minded it. Always did it very close to my hunts to have the closest weather etc. Now I find putting in for other states. Being weather is different and elevation is it smarter for me to now start chronographing my reloads and using ballistic calculator apps etc. Yes I know some might say I should have been chronoing my reloads in the past but never affected the numerous elk and deer ive taken. But just seeing how many of you use the ballistic apps. Im looking at strelok pro if I am gonna go that route as I read its the easiest to setup?

Also if im looking for a decent chronograph is the magnetospeed v3 good? Its a ton of coin and heard labradar was good but thats way too much. Thanks guys

Last edited by Aznative; 07-20-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Aznative is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

How about this, best free ballistics software out there:

http://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank

If you have questions let me know, I'm the author.

-DallanC
silentstalker likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have used Dallan's software quite often and found it spot on when I used it on my Arizona coues hunt a couple of years ago.

I used it for my targets at 600 yards so that buck didn't stand a chance at 420 yards.

As for a chronograph I have been using a Pact now for over 30 years and like it. It has cables that run from the screens back to the shooting bench to plug into the calculator so you don't have to get up and go look at what the speeds are. It has some quirks but all of them do. The major one I had was solved in a 15 minute phone call with their tech support.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

That sounds awesome. I will look at this software thanks guys. From reading it sounds better than the phone app programs. Nice job Dallan!! Never knew
Old 07-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've never used calculations and all that jazz for shooting distance. I chronograph my loads and then set targets out to ranges from 100-800 yards. Shoot the target and see where the POI is and make adjustments to the turret to impact POI at the bullseye. I then write it all down and place it in a wrist thingy like the quarterbacks use for play calling.

I only use one rifle for long shots so I don't see the need for myself to spend the money on data programs.

Once I range an animal, I set the turret according to my "play list" and send the round. It works for me and no expense to pay for data.

Whatever works for whoever is the best medicine I think.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
I've never used calculations and all that jazz for shooting distance. I chronograph my loads and then set targets out to ranges from 100-800 yards. Shoot the target and see where the POI is and make adjustments to the turret to impact POI at the bullseye. I then write it all down and place it in a wrist thingy like the quarterbacks use for play calling.

I only use one rifle for long shots so I don't see the need for myself to spend the money on data programs.

Once I range an animal, I set the turret according to my "play list" and send the round. It works for me and no expense to pay for data.

Whatever works for whoever is the best medicine I think.
+1

johnrr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use Strelok+ and have had good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John R. Wooden
derekp1999 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes the magnetospeed works really well. It is all I use now and could never go back to a optical chrono. It does change the POI of the gun and they say it doesn't affect group sizes, but I just do my load development and put the magnetospeed on at the end to get velocity. Works for shotguns and pistols as well.

If I could choose, I would get a labrader doppler chrono. Gives downrange velocity, doesn't touch the gun, but I have heard it can be al ittle finicky while the magnetospeed works 100% of the time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016447132?pid=523157

I have used Strelok and found it to be OK, but not as accurate as JBM. I have used and tested several ballistic calculators and JBM matches my shooting in the field better than all others. JBM doesn't have an app, but I use turrets and have a printout on my bullet box.

https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

All awesome advice here. I have always done what taxedermist does. Usually zero at 200 then shoot 300, 400, 500. Then make my own card. I never take shots past 500 as ive never had to and honestly just wouldnt want to. But have heard alot of talk recently that if your hunting in alot of different altitudes and weather that its best to use ballistic calculations. However I read alot where guys say it screws them up too. Maybe im overthinking it all. Guess I can try an app and see. I like Dallans program from what I have seen but the apps seem nice for right there situations with weather etc. I even ordered a kestral weather device to try it. Gives wind, temp, barometer and altitude. Who knows lol

Last edited by Aznative; 07-21-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

For all of my shooting using Dallan's site I use a elevation of 6500' where I sight my rifles in at.

Other than that I have had no problems with elevations from 2500' in Arizona up to 9500' in Utah and upper elevations in Colorado.

You just have to remember that you are not trying to shoot a small group when hunting but have a lot of fudge factor where a animal in concerned. And with distances up to 600 yards I don't think that the elevation factor won't factor in.

One thing is that I have never played with the elevations with Dallan's program. It might be interesting to do so.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in