> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,129
Threads: 63,741
Welcome to our newest member, jhovatter
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ray

Default 1950’s savage 99

Just got a savage model 99 in 300 savage off of my grandpa, he purchased it when he was 14 in the 50’s, took great care of it. It’s currently scoped but I’m considering taking it off as I prefer irons on lever guns. That said, 300 savage isn’t a round I’ve shot a ton. Would you leave it scoped or rock the irons?
AF CYN likes this.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

How are you eyes and can you actually use iron sights?

I have my dads .300 Savage and he installed a peep sight on it. It shoots fantastic...
Old 07-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool guns... I have a 1954 Savage 99 in .308...I prefer a scope.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
How are you eyes and can you actually use iron sights?

I have my dads .300 Savage and he installed a peep sight on it. It shoots fantastic...
Better than 20/20 last I checked, which was 3 years ago.

I love shooting irons, that’s what I grew up with, didn’t start using a scope until I was an adult.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
Cool guns...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://utahwildlife.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG] I have a 1954 Savage 99 in .308...I prefer a scope.
Ha! That’s the year my grandpa purchased his. I think I’ll do a bit of shooting with the scope and without to determine
Old 07-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I’ve had a few savage 99s, all in 308 win. It’s a sacred gun to me as I cut my teeth hunting deer with one and stayed with it for my first 10 years of deer hunting. I killed my first few bucks with my 99 with iron sights. I scoped one of mine and it made the gun a lot less special I thought. Never killed a deer with a scope on one either. Some guns aren’t meant to have a scope.

My dad still shoots the same savage 99 in 308 win that he has had as long as I have been alive. He put a scope on it a couple years ago because his eyesight is finally giving out. It’s the only condition a scope belongs on a 99 in my opinion.
Badin likes this.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have grand dad’s 1949 in .300 Savage with Lyman peep sight. Linseed oil finished stock. When I could shoot iron sights, it was the best for timber and brush, and in clearings to 200 yards. I can no longer shoot iron sights, but no way would I scope that gun. It will go to a younger hunter.
Badin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

You want to shoot "Grandpa's" gun, then leave it scoped...just as he used it. If you don't care about that and just want another gun then do whatever you want.
Taking the scope off or leaving it on will not devalue it at all...just leave the finish and bluing as is...please, no refinishing in any way. Oil 'er up and pass it on.
taxidermist likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arabians View Post
I’ve had a few savage 99s, all in 308 win. It’s a sacred gun to me as I cut my teeth hunting deer with one and stayed with it for my first 10 years of deer hunting. I killed my first few bucks with my 99 with iron sights. I scoped one of mine and it made the gun a lot less special I thought. Never killed a deer with a scope on one either. Some guns aren’t meant to have a scope.

My dad still shoots the same savage 99 in 308 win that he has had as long as I have been alive. He put a scope on it a couple years ago because his eyesight is finally giving out. It’s the only condition a scope belongs on a 99 in my opinion.
Yeah, I feel the scope takes away from it as well, my grandpa only put it on once his sight started to go as well
Old 07-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
You want to shoot "Grandpa's" gun, then leave it scoped...just as he used it. If you don't care about that and just want another gun then do whatever you want.
Taking the scope off or leaving it on will not devalue it at all...just leave the finish and bluing as is...please, no refinishing in any way. Oil 'er up and pass it on.
He actually only shot irons his entire life, even on his 30-06, he didn’t start to scope anything until his sight went. So shooting irons would truly be shooting it the way he did

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in