> FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,119
Threads: 63,718
Welcome to our newest member, Xseedz
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wyogoob

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Primer Loader

Hi all - I recently purchased an RCBS summit press. I have been slowly acquiring all the odds (and there are many) necessary to hand load.

What do you all use for seating primers? It seems like the RCBS hand loaders are popular, but do they do a good job? Hand loaders seem a little flimsy. There are dedicated primer presses, but that seems like overkill... What do you all use??

This nascent reloader thanks you in advance!
aspiring_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have been using a Lee hand press for seating primers now for over 20 years and love it. You can feel the primer seat which you can not really do if you are using a press mounted one.

I actually will use my primer press while I am watching TV. I'll have two boxes, one empty one and one with the cleaned ready to prime cases. I have gotten to the point that I can do it without looking but I do watch what I am doing.

I don't know how anyone primes cases without one anymore.

If you like the RCBS one get it and you will find that it works quite well, as well as all the others. I haven't heard a complaint about any of them except for when parts break and there are no replacement parts.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

RCBS works fine, its really nice actually. You get a good feel for seating pressure and depth. I used to primer all my cases in one pass before doing the charging and loading phase.

That said... I haven't touched mine in years. My LEE turret press has its own primer feed. Its a little janky, but it does work fine for me.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I have been using a Lee hand press for seating primers now for over 20 years and love it. You can feel the primer seat which you can not really do if you are using a press mounted one.

I actually will use my primer press while I am watching TV. I'll have two boxes, one empty one and one with the cleaned ready to prime cases. I have gotten to the point that I can do it without looking but I do watch what I am doing.

I don't know how anyone primes cases without one anymore.

If you like the RCBS one get it and you will find that it works quite well, as well as all the others. I haven't heard a complaint about any of them except for when parts break and there are no replacement parts.
+1 on the Lee hand press! I do my whole process on the couch at the coffee table so I can spend time with my family while doing it.
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use the Lee Ram Prime in the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press, or the Hornady Handheld Priming tool. Both work great, though I probably use the hand held tool more because I can go a little faster with it.

I've never used a primer seater in a press bolted to a workbench, only in the Lee hand press, so I can't comment on that.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for the input. I thought using a hand loader was the exception rather than the rule, but it sounds like I had it backwards.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It makes a world of difference for those of us breaking into the world of hunting.
aspiring_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I use a RCBS priming tool and it works good enough for me.

The only quirk ive noticed is the rod used to seat the primer comes in a small and large size (for small pistol/ rifle and large pistol/rifle primers) and the small rods tend to dent the primer so I just use the larger diameter rod for all priming.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm on my 2nd RCBS priming tool. The first one was the spawn of the devil....it's mother was my gas motor Eskimo ice auger.
DallanC likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Frankfort Arsenal makes a nice one. I have that and a lee. IMO the lee I have isn't worth a hill of beans.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use the Hornady hand priming tool that came with my original kit. It has always worked great for me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in