> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,989
Threads: 63,548
Welcome to our newest member, Lacrosse63
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Got one, but havenít fired it yet. I kinda have a fetish for lever actions. Itís a JM stamped CB version. I intend to put a skinner sight on it, and kill something big and tasty with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hondodawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF CYN View Post
I inherited a beautiful Browning 1886 in 45-70 from my father-in-law. I've shot it several times and really enjoy it. However, all my ammo is 300gr and it shoots quite high with those loads. My friends at Browning say the rate of twist is designed for 400gr. bullets, so I just need to "bite the bullet" and buy some new loads. I've considered using it for elk or deer, but haven't ever taken it hunting. Maybe this year for antlerless elk.....
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Rate of twist might affect accuracy but elevation is all about the sights on the rifle. I once owned a .38-40 Marlin 1894 rifle and attempted to use a "hotter" load for hunting. The .38-40 is one of those dual rifle/pistol cartridges from the old days and they where always loaded more mild so that the pistol could accommodate. The rifles technically can handle a much hotter and flat shooting load. Anyway, to make a long story short, I could never get the rifle sighted in because there was not enough adjustment in the sights to bring the POI down on target(without modifying the sights).

My point is that perhaps you might only need different sights that would allow your rifle to be sighted in with the faster flat shooting ammo. The modern flat shooting ammo like the LEVERevolution is great stuff when used in a modern rifle, like your Browning that that can handle it.
AF CYN likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a 50cal Hawkin barrel that is very touchy with elevation and powder charges. When my son used it for his first deer hunt, we ran out of elevation adjustment to get it on target, ended up reducing the powder charge to bring it down (shot high with higher pressure loads).

Guns can be weird.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF CYN View Post
I inherited a beautiful Browning 1886 in 45-70 from my father-in-law. I've shot it several times and really enjoy it. However, all my ammo is 300gr and it shoots quite high with those loads. My friends at Browning say the rate of twist is designed for 400gr. bullets, so I just need to "bite the bullet" and buy some new loads. I've considered using it for elk or deer, but haven't ever taken it hunting. Maybe this year for antlerless elk.....
That's a big chunk of firearm you own. I never could imagine dragging that beauty I had through the timbers. Shooting with the big buck horn sights I had to barely see the front bead in the rear sight to shoot anything. Congrats to you on that rifle, a true piece of work.
AF CYN likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHS View Post
I picked up a Marlin 1895 a few years ago when we used to be able to sell guns on ksl. It was practically brand new and I got it for a song. I have taken a couple of cow elk and a buck with it. It is fun to shoot, but as I get older, I find myself not enjoying the recoil of 405 gr loads. Those are some real knuckle crunchers. Light loads are a hoot to shoot. I love leverguns. I have been eyeballing something in a 357. Can't quite make myself pull the trigger on it.
Good job Nater Gator! tell me, what did those 405's really do to an elk? Pass straight through? Shatter the bone leaving a 3" exit? One shot, one kill? I'm curious.....thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
NHS

Two were pass throughs. I did recover one bullet from a cow elk in the offside shoulder (pic attached). It went in at 405 grains and ended up at 237 grains so 168 grains of copper and lead enhanced my culinary experience with her. All were on shot kills. The recovered bullet came from about a 100 yard shot. The other two were much closer. That big slow bullet does a number. It reminds me a lot of a muzzle loader wound channel. Good luck this fall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62A0982F-0EE9-41D6-9412-2E6AAE7C0498_1590610550960.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	141735  
wyogoob, AF CYN and one4fishing like this.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

I used an h&r .45-70 to kill one hog n a handful of white tails. It was maybe a 6 lb rifle. I used the leverevolution factory animal. Nothing ever ran after being shot but I don’t think I ever shot anything farther than 50 yds
35whelen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

I picked up a very slightly used Marlin 1895 Cowboy a couple of years ago. Shoots quite nicely with the HSM Cowboy Action loads. I have some 400 grain Speer soft points loaded up for when I am feeling adventurous. Or when the moose or buffalo tag shows up.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

If I ever quit hemorrhaging money doing home projects I will be looking for a Ruger No 1 in .45-70 or perhaps a No 3

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in