> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,989
Threads: 63,548
Welcome to our newest member, Lacrosse63
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #31 (permalink)

Irregardless of how you size your cases, if you are going to use them for hunting run all of the rounds through your rifle before you need them.

I loaded up a couple hundred rounds for a friend and I full length sized all the rounds. Of of all of them there were a couple that would not chamber in his rifle and a few that were fairly hard to get the bolt down and locked.

The rest chambered as smooth as factory ammo
waspocrew likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #32 (permalink)

I've put hundred of rounds through these dies and just recently started having issues with case head separation.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that freshly fired brass (2.11 fits just fine, so why stretch it out to a longer length (2.124) just to shrink it back down to a length that is actually longer than when I started (2.120+).

Does not seem logical or I'm not understanding the reasoning behind it. If the end goal is to get more life from cases then sizing only those parts necessary for proper function and nothing else (neck sizing only) seems like the way to do that.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Read through this thread. It has some good information as well as a lot of crap to wade through. There's some good insights, but unfortunately not a ton relating to hunting-sized cartridges.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr.../#post-1762107

Yea, I think the main part of deciding which route to go on sizing is just making sure it functions flawlessly when hunting and getting as much case life as you can or want to. Some people do their "FL" sizing with a bushing to knock the shoulders back and then a mandrel type die that is similar to a neck sizing die. Two steps, accomplishes nearly the same thing as a "partial" FL sizing.

LOTS of ways to skin the cat. You can't go wrong by making plenty of measurements and making sure your cartridges function and the process is repeatable.
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
I've put hundred of rounds through these dies and just recently started having issues with case head separation.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that freshly fired brass (2.11 fits just fine, so why stretch it out to a longer length (2.124) just to shrink it back down to a length that is actually longer than when I started (2.120+).

Does not seem logical or I'm not understanding the reasoning behind it. If the end goal is to get more life from cases then sizing only those parts necessary for proper function and nothing else (neck sizing only) seems like the way to do that.

I missed the info on your brass.... did you determine if there could have been an issue with the current batch of brass that separated? Or did the sizing die setting somehow change on that batch of brass?
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #35 (permalink)

It's unlikely that the dies moved as they were locked in place and set up according to the die manufacturer's directions which is bottomed out against the shell holder + 1/8 turn.

Never been an issue until recently. Unfired brass measurements leave A LOT of room for case stretch, too much in my opinion. I'm not 100% sure I'm reading the SAAMI specs correctly but if I am these cases start out .008 under cartridge Max measurement and .03 +/- under Chamber Minimum.

IF I have a chamber at the high end of the spec and cases that are at the extreme low end of the spec I could see as much as .035 growth in the first firing.

I would expect them to be under by some amount to fit many different rifles but SAAMI does not give me a cartridge Minimum to go off to see if they are under that.

On that topic though: Who makes GOOD brass for a 7RM? Lapua does not and I've heard they make the best brass around.

Last edited by KineKilla; 06-09-2020 at 11:10 AM.
KineKilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #36 (permalink)

If your die is set where the die touches the shell holder then you are full length sizing the cases.

I like Federal brass and have never had any problems with it. Hornady is also good. I use Norma for my .340 Weatherby and it is also good.
KineKilla likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
It's unlikely that the dies moved as they were locked in place and set up according to the die manufacturer's directions which is bottomed out against the shell holder + 1/8 turn.

Never been an issue until recently. Unfired brass measurements leave A LOT of room for case stretch, too much in my opinion. I'm not 100% sure I'm reading the SAAMI specs correctly but if I am these cases start out .008 under cartridge Max measurement and .03 +/- under Chamber Minimum.

IF I have a chamber at the high end of the spec and cases that are at the extreme low end of the spec I could see as much as .035 growth in the first firing.

I would expect them to be under by some amount to fit many different rifles but SAAMI does not give me a cartridge Minimum to go off to see if they are under that.

On that topic though: Who makes GOOD brass for a 7RM? Lapua does not and I've heard they make the best brass around.
Yea that's a lot of case stretch. I saw your thread on another forum and noticed a couple of people saying it's normal for a 0.02" stretch on first firing for a belted magnum...I didn't know that. It certainly stands to reason that if your chamber is on the high end of spec and the brass is on the low end, you could end up with alot!

I've always heard of people really liking Winchester brass for brass that isn't $1/case. It's apparently tough and reasonably consistent for the money. It's what I've been using until I start this box of starline brass and I haven't found any issues.

Hopefully your neck die works well!
KineKilla likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #38 (permalink)

If you can find it, ADG brass is great stuff. Extremely tough and very consistent. Pretty reasonably priced for 50 cases as well.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...rass/ADG-Brass
KineKilla likes this.
waspocrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #39 (permalink)

Not to sidetrack the discussion but I noticed that the shelves at Sportsmans were picked clean of most common calibers, powders, projectiles and other components.

It looks almost like it did after Sandy Hook. Uncertainty sure sells guns and ammo.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #40 (permalink)

And that is why I now only purchase my powders by the jug and primers by the 1000's.

Pistol bullets are purchased by 500 count boxes and rifle bullets I'll try to stock up as often as I can.

But then I have all my load recipes and don't have to build any up anymore. I know what my loads will do and I am quite happy with what I have.
KineKilla likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in